WTH? Battle Creek Sandbar Fenced off!!!

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
So took the ski's out to go to our favorite spot to tube and beach the boats and ski's and play in Battle Creek. They have fenced off the sandbar and planted Marsh grasses. All of the cigarette boats were anchored right off of it now but that just sucks.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Yeah I read that Blog and it was really interesting. I have to understand with the people that live near there and some of the trash the ignorant people left there sometimes but I would think signs could have helped with some of those items.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
FastCarsSpeed said:
Yeah I read that Blog and it was really interesting. I have to understand with the people that live near there and some of the trash the ignorant people left there sometimes but I would think signs could have helped with some of those items.

There were always problems with people (other than the locals) leaving trash, beer/liquor containers..you name it. Heck, somebody even took one of their dogs. You shouldn't have to put up a sign to tell people to clean up after themselves.

Tina2001aniT

cattitude said:
Friends of ours..they own the farm. My parents also live on Battle Creek.

We saw this cute little old man yesterday, just up in his yard in a lawn chair under the tree watching the boaters. He was so cute, we would have never even known he was there except that we were anchored and heard him pop a top :lol:

The kiddo's loved that little sandbar, it gave their butts a break from the jet ski's and they loved to swim there. But there was alot of trash there alot of times (garbage trash and trashy people), if it was my property I would want it fixed too :shrug:

R

remaxrealtor

In a former life, we were up there every weekend, it's a perfect swimming/tubing,etc. spot.

However, it is privately owned property. It was generous of them to allow everyone to enjoy it for so long.

LordStanley

I know nothing
remaxrealtor said:
In a former life, we were up there every weekend, it's a perfect swimming/tubing,etc. spot.

However, it is privately owned property. It was generous of them to allow everyone to enjoy it for so long.

Its not generous to for the tax payers to foot the $17000 bill.......

LordStanley

I know nothing
Just wait till a hurricane blows through and rips up all those plants. There is a reason why that spit is not covered in grass naturally.... It’s because most of that spit is under water at high tide.

Doesn’t take a scientist to figure that out.

R

remaxrealtor

LordStanley said:
Its not generous to for the tax payers to foot the $17000 bill.......
I wasn't referring to that issue, just saying I think it was pretty cool to have used the spot.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
cattitude said:
Doesn't appear the owners are the ones to blame.

Technically it sounds as though they didn't even really own it. Apparently you own up to the High tide mark, well with High tide that bar is covered up. So the state can do whatever they want.

Property owner complains to state about the issues of people being lazy, slobby bastages and the state says fine we will just use that area as a critical water front and plant grasses and make it a marsh habitat.

LordStanley

I know nothing
cattitude said:
Doesn't appear the owners are the ones to blame.

Your right, Now it belongs to the state, which means it no longer private. So why cant we use it now??? Oh, cause now its protected and the state has to maintain that piece of land forever!

But us boaters already adjusted.... Now we just drop an anchor and stand in waist deep water just a few feet off shore.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
FastCarsSpeed said:
Technically it sounds as though they didn't even really own it. Apparently you own up to the High tide mark, well with High tide that bar is covered up. So the state can do whatever they want.

Property owner complains to state about the issues of people being lazy, slobby bastages and the state says fine we will just use that area as a critical water front and plant grasses and make it a marsh habitat.

They didn't originally but they purchased the point several years ago.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
FastCarsSpeed said:
So took the ski's out to go to our favorite spot to tube and beach the boats and ski's and play in Battle Creek. They have fenced off the sandbar and planted Marsh grasses. All of the cigarette boats were anchored right off of it now but that just sucks.

TREE HUGGERS

Foxhound

Finishing last
LordStanley said:
Just wait till a hurricane blows through and rips up all those plants. There is a reason why that spit is not covered in grass naturally.... It’s because most of that spit is under water at high tide.

Doesn’t take a scientist to figure that out.

Yeah but they planted marsh grasses that need to be in the tide line to prosper. They need to get flooded and drained in the tidal flow. Scientist know this!

Mikeinsmd

Tina2001aniT said:
But there was alot of trash there alot of times (garbage trash and trashy people), if it was my property I would want it fixed too :shrug:
I've been going there since 1999 and I never saw trash. We all made a concerted effort to keep it clean because we loved it so much.

Now I wasn't there 24/7 so I'm sure there are a few azzholes who didn't take their trash. It was just always clean when I went.

Straight across on the St Mary's side is a sandbar. :yay: