WW2 aircraft

Dukesdad

Where in St. Mary's can I find a WW2 aircraft that I can get my motorcycle close enough to get a photo of them side by side?

dgates80

Land of the lost
Where in St. Mary's can I find a WW2 aircraft that I can get my motorcycle close enough to get a photo of them side by side?

Nothing much at St. Mary's from WW2, though there are a Harrier and a L29 based there. A Stearman, too, but not what you are looking for, probably.

There is a guy at Easton with a nice warbird collection though .... A P51 and a Spitfire, among others. A B25 is based at Salisbury.

Dukesdad

It's a challenge on a forum I'm on. Weather should be OK for a trip over. Any chance you might have contact info for him?

dustin

UAIOE
It's a challenge on a forum I'm on. Weather should be OK for a trip over. Any chance you might have contact info for him?

IF you have base access... On Andrews, next to the FRC building near the flightline, there was (I saw it about a year ago) either a Hellcat or a Wildcat (I can't remember which) on a vertical pole, that acts kind of like a windsock... turning with the direction of the wind. No landing gear.

Bad thing is I believe it is behind a fence... could be the flight line fence. I'm not sure..

so yeah that probably didnt help at all...

The B25 (Panchito) is not based at Salisbury. It is at Georgetown, DE. It is not available for photos. It was damaged when it skidded off of the runway the day it left the Pax River Air Expo and is being repaired. Easton is likely your best bet. I am not sure of contacts there.

smilin

BOXER NATION
There used to be a Russian Yak or Sturmovik based at St. Mary's airport. I would call them and see if the guy is still there.
Took some pictures of my boys in front of it a few years ago.

dustin

UAIOE
IF you have base access... On Andrews, next to the FRC building near the flightline, there was (I saw it about a year ago) either a Hellcat or a Wildcat (I can't remember which) on a vertical pole, that acts kind of like a windsock... turning with the direction of the wind. No landing gear.

Bad thing is I believe it is behind a fence... could be the flight line fence. I'm not sure..

so yeah that probably didnt help at all...

here is the satellite photo of it
Andrews AFB, MD - Google Maps

looks like it is behind the fenceline...