WWII Monument

My Dads page there.

Attachments

• Dad12.jpg
    Dad12.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 200

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
That is nice. I didn't know they were doing individual plaques. It's been quite a few years since we visited. It might be time to revisit since my own father served. He was a Navy guard of POWs. He had some strange stories and he apparently became "kinda" friends with some Germans. Which of course intrigued me to spend some Army tours over there in the 70's and 80's. I am sure many people learned that not all Germans were Nazis. In fact, most were fun loving people.

C

czygvtwkr

Does someone have to have that info put there? My grandfather was in the Navy during WW2, does that mean his info will automatically be there?

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
Does someone have to have that info put there? My grandfather was in the Navy during WW2, does that mean his info will automatically be there?

I would imagine that family or higher-up friends got them placed there. Afterall, the Pentagon don't have records. They are stored with a different agency in Missouri somewhere. At least, that is the last I heard. Plus, I think in the 80's there was a serious fire in the facility and it destroyed alot of veteran records. Now I haven't been military for quite sometime and things may have changed a bit, but realistically, only family would know what to place...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I would imagine that family or higher-up friends got them placed there. Afterall, the Pentagon don't have records. They are stored with a different agency in Missouri somewhere. At least, that is the last I heard. Plus, I think in the 80's there was a serious fire in the facility and it destroyed alot of veteran records. Now I haven't been military for quite sometime and things may have changed a bit, but realistically, only family would know what to place...

I'm not sure of the details but I know that my father's (dec. 1958) service records were destroyed in a fire. Probably the one you alluded to; it was in the midwest somewhere.

When you say "page", do you mean a plaque?

I haven't seen it, but it looks like a display screen. (notice the cursor) My guess is you select branch of service, first letter of last name or something like that and it comes up. My Mom did donate some money to help get it built. None of us that I know of sent any info.

That gave me a chill. B-17. Bad work if you can get it.

Attrition rate per mission 4%. Tour of duty; 25 missions.

:buddies:

Yep deep into Germany past the range of fighter cover they were pretty much easy prey. They could take a heck of a lot of damage and make it back.
Or at least land somewhere.

Attachments

• b17allamerican.jpg
    b17allamerican.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 96

Tech

These are private pages entered by the families or friends. Go to the site and you can enter the data for ones that are not listed.

Tech

Hmm, maybe my Sis entered it and then took the picture. Need to ask her.

It says honored by Janet Johson, wife. Some are entered by other sources. A distant cousin who died of wounds was entered by the National Archives.

It says honored by Janet Johson, wife. Some are entered by other sources. A distant cousin who died of wounds was entered by the National Archives.

Well there is no way she did it. Maybe sis in her name. Mom is not up to doing that stuff unless she wrote a letter with the info years ago.