www.fightglobalwarming.com

ylexot

Super Genius
So, the environmentalists have started a new web site. I decided to ask them a question...
Please help a skeptic
Hello, I found this web site because of some news articles about it and thought you may be able to explain something for me. There is a study that has been used extensively to back the claims for global warming:
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=221
It appears that your web site uses the same data. The probelm that I have with using that study to back claims of global warming is that it shows a naturally occurring trend where there is a spike in CO2 levels every ~125,000 years...and we are actually past-due for that spike. It does not refute the claim of global warming, but it does place serious doubts in my mind as to the cause since there is no way the previous spikes can be attributed to human activities. When discussing this with another global warming proponent, she pointed out that the scale of the plots prevent one from seeing what is happening at the present time. She pointed me to the CO2 readings from Mauna Loa that show current levels at ~365 and rising:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CO2-Mauna-Loa.png
Since 365 is high according to the ice core sample data, one might draw the conclusion that we are in the midst of a spike like the previous spikes in the core data. However, I also found information regarding relative CO2 levels globally:
http://www.mlo.noaa.gov/HISTORY/PUB...20anniv/co2.htm
"The most notable was Kurt Buch of Finland, who concluded after many years of study that the CO2 concentration varied systematically with air mass. His claims (Keeling and Bacastow, 1977) that high arctic air had concentrations in the range of 150 to 230 ppm, north and middle Atlantic air, 310 to 345 ppm, and tropical air, 320 to 370 ppm, strongly influenced preparations for the IGY CO2 program, especially the Scandinavian program, which he initially supervised. When from inadequate chemical and sampling techniques the Scandinavian pre-lGY program produced CO2 concentrations in the same range as previous data, these new data were readily justified as resulting from different properties of the air masses passing over the sampling sites (Fonselius et al., 1956)."
According to that, a Mauna Loa reading of ~365 would correlate to an ice core sample of ~200. According to the ice core data, 200 is actually a very low level of CO2 gas.

Unfortunately, nobody has been able to refute this. Maybe you can.

Thank you,
XXXXXXXXXXX
I wonder if anyone will answer...:whistle:

Last edited:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
<Snort> Good luck getting an answer, LoL!

It's so much fun getting the enviro-dudes all spun up isn't it? :lmao:

ylexot

Super Genius
Still no answer, but here are a few more global warming articles...
The New Hot Zones
POLL: VAST MAJORITY OF AMERICANS (88%) THINK GLOBAL WARMING THREATENS FUTURE GENERATIONS
Since this one is a Drudge Flash and may not be there for long, I'll quote the whole thing:
Eighty-five percent (85%) of Americans say global warming is probably happening, according to a new TIME magazine/ABC News/Stanford University poll, out Sunday, March 26th. A vast majority of respondents (88%) think global warming threatens future generations. More than half (60%) say it threatens them a great deal. About four-in-ten (38%) feel that global warming is already a serious problem, 47% feel that it will be in the future. TIME's special 26-page cover story, 'Be Worried. Be Very Worried,' hits newsstands Monday, March 27th.

Half of Americans (52%) say weather patterns in the county where they live have grown more unstable in the last three years and half (50%) feel that average temperatures have risen in their county. A majority (70%) thinks weather patterns globally have become more unstable in the last three years and more than half (56%) feel average temperatures around the world have risen.

Almost half (49%) say the issue of global warming is 'extremely' or 'very important' to them personally, up from 31% in 1998. When asked about the causes of rise in the world's temperatures, about three-in-ten (31%) feel it is caused by the things people do, almost one fifth (19%) feel it is caused mostly by natural causes; almost half (49%) feel it is a combination of the two. Almost seven-in-ten (68%) Americans think the government should do more to address global warming, according to the poll. More than six-in-ten respondents (64%) think scientists disagree with one another about global warming.

Two-thirds of Americans (66%) say President George W. Bush's policies did little or nothing to help the environment in the past year. More than half (54%) feel American businesses did little or nothing to help. Three-quarters want to see Bush and others-Congress, American businesses and the American public-take action to help the environment in the year ahead. However, about one-third (35%) of Americans say that in the past year they have personally given a lot of thought to the impact they were having on the environment.

Six-in-ten Americans (62%) think much can be done to curb global warming and 52% favor government mandates. Six-in-ten (61%) say they would support a government mandate on lowering power plant emissions, and 87% support tax breaks to develop water, wind and solar power. Eighty-one percent oppose higher taxes on electricity, 68% oppose higher gasoline taxes and 56% oppose giving companies tax breaks to build nuclear power plants.

The partisan gap on global warming seems to be shifting, according to the poll. In 1998, 31% of Republicans and Independents alike were sure that global warming was happening; it was not a distant 39% among Democrats. Today, 46% of Democrats and 45% of Independents are certain, and 26% of Republicans feel that way, according to the TIME/ABC News/Stanford University poll.
What worries me is the "Six-in-ten Americans (62%) think much can be done to curb global warming and 52% favor government mandates" part. People want the government to act with legislation to counter something that they are not even sure we are causing. And they also think that we can "curb global warming". I'm all for having a discussion about global warming, but all I see is "global warming is happening and is going to kill us all :jameo:"

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
kom526 said:
PhD=Piled higher and deeper
or
A more educated guess.
But at least those people admit it's a scientific theory and that we don't know everything and that they could be wrong. The kind of people who write these websites are the same people that would claim that a blizzard in the summer is evidence of global warming.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bustem' Down said:
The kind of people who write these websites are the same people that would claim that a blizzard in the summer is evidence of global warming.
Indeed.

The earth warms and cools - it's a living thing and continually changing. I have no problem accepting that the earth has warmed .0021 degrees (or whatever) over the last 10 years. My :rolleyes: comes when the eco-nutties insist that this is some major disaster that will kill us all tomorrow and we must DO SOMETHING BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

We, as human inhabitants, will eventually die off - it may take a billion years, but homo sapiens as we know them will some day become extinct. It's just nature and the way it is. For man to try and control nature is the height of arrogance and ignorance.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

...you raise several points that are, frankly, nothing more than 'do nothing', industry friendly staples of right wing talk radio. To sit here, year after year, and mull over specific data in search of some sort of absolute is to fiddle while Rome burns. Well, it may serve some sort of 'gotcha' mentality left over from an obviously insecure and wheedling childhood you have suffered, but, it does nothing for Mother.

Please refrain from bothering us with your 'fact based' tripe. We have a planet to save.

Cordially,

People with a secure, confident upbrining