Xbox One Question

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Bought a game yesterday and went to install it on our Xbox One. Got stuck at 84% during the installation. Now when we try to install it, says we must buy the game even though the disc is in the machine. Any idea why this is happening?

H

Hodr

Because congress/the courts have allowed that you don't actually own any software; you are simply purchasing a license allowing you to use it under very particular circumstances. And you also agree to a contract that you haven't read simply by opening the package (EULA) that states the real owner has the right to change any and all rights that you have. Meaning they can decide you need to re-purchase the product if you decide to install it on more than one device.

Pedantry aside; was this a used game? Some companies will only allow the game to be authorized once/on one device before you have to purchase an additional license.

Is the XBOX connected to the internet?

Have you tried deleting the partial install and trying again?

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, knowing the games name would help. Where did you buy it? And note the question above about the console being on the net. Some companies require that the game "touch base" as part of the registration.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Because congress/the courts have allowed that you don't actually own any software; you are simply purchasing a license allowing you to use it under very particular circumstances. And you also agree to a contract that you haven't read simply by opening the package (EULA) that states the real owner has the right to change any and all rights that you have. Meaning they can decide you need to re-purchase the product if you decide to install it on more than one device.

Pedantry aside; was this a used game? Some companies will only allow the game to be authorized once/on one device before you have to purchase an additional license.

Is the XBOX connected to the internet?

Have you tried deleting the partial install and trying again?

Yeah, knowing the games name would help. Where did you buy it? And note the question above about the console being on the net. Some companies require that the game "touch base" as part of the registration.

It's GTA 5 and I got it at Gamestop in St Mary's (near Five Guys). Considering I paid $54 for it and "they" want me to pay another $50 for it, I am going to return it immediately.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Just got off the phone with Gamestop. They said to bring the disc back and they will give me a new one. If that doesn't work, they will give me something that allows me to purchase it online at no cost to me.