Xbox360 RRoD

basher

LEET
anybody else get it?, just got it last night. All those marathon nights of playing Halo3 and Cod4 has killed it I think. I would send it in, but my warranty is void due to me opening up the case to get the drive to cough up my Gears of War game back.....most likely due to me setting the console from horizontal to vertical. I never heard of the RRoD and didn't think of anything bad happening way back then, so I didn't care about voiding the warranty, I just wanted to play again.

Anyway, I opened the console up again, sprayed all the dust out, put it back together, and powered on. It worked......for about 5 minutes and froze on me. It'll work for few minutes at a time and freeze up every time, but no RRoD. So now what do I do? There's some idiot on YouTube (if you have RRoD) that wraps towels around it to heat it up for 30 minutes, let's it cool and it works for a couple of days.....and he does it again.....but some people have claimed that it eventually fries your xbox360 after doing it too many times. I'm at work, so I can't post the link to the video right now.

warneckutz

anybody else get it?, just got it last night. All those marathon nights of playing Halo3 and Cod4 has killed it I think. I would send it in, but my warranty is void due to me opening up the case to get the drive to cough up my Gears of War game back.....most likely due to me setting the console from horizontal to vertical. I never heard of the RRoD and didn't think of anything bad happening way back then, so I didn't care about voiding the warranty, I just wanted to play again.

Anyway, I opened the console up again, sprayed all the dust out, put it back together, and powered on. It worked......for about 5 minutes and froze on me. It'll work for few minutes at a time and freeze up every time, but no RRoD. So now what do I do? There's some idiot on YouTube (if you have RRoD) that wraps towels around it to heat it up for 30 minutes, let's it cool and it works for a couple of days.....and he does it again.....but some people have claimed that it eventually fries your xbox360 after doing it too many times. I'm at work, so I can't post the link to the video right now.

That sucks. I'm on my 3rd 360. The last two suffered the 3 red lights, as I understand it, the chip overheats and it's fried. Regardless, you gotta get a new one. I had a replacement plan at Best Buy, so I saved some $$ there and I upgraded to the Elite. When I was checking out the girl mentioned that a few people said the Elite systems aren't as problematic??? Not sure, but it sucks regardless. Good Luck.

LordStanley

I know nothing

Dont do try the you tube thing. Just send it back to MS. Dont mention anything about voiding the warrenty. the RRoD has a 3 year factory warrenty from the date of manufacture.
If they dont fix it. then oh well. Your still in the same boat.

If they do fix it, you're money

Vince

Don't have a 360, and with all the news I've heard about them breaking down after a year or so, don't think I'll get one either. Keep hearing when they work they're great, but when the break.........:shrug:

basher

LEET
That sucks. I'm on my 3rd 360. The last two suffered the 3 red lights, as I understand it, the chip overheats and it's fried. Regardless, you gotta get a new one. I had a replacement plan at Best Buy, so I saved some $$ there and I upgraded to the Elite. When I was checking out the girl mentioned that a few people said the Elite systems aren't as problematic??? Not sure, but it sucks regardless. Good Luck.

Well the Elite systems have only been out for a couple of months, who knows how long they'll last, hopefully they've resolved the problem. Most of the workers at BestBuy don't know what they're talking about so I wouldn't trust their opinions.
I do like the black Elite version, and it also has HDMI. But if I buy the Arcade version it's about $200 less because I already have the HardDrive and the old Component cables. I'll spend a couple of nights trying to fix my old one since I'm stubborn and I've gotten it to work somewhat.

basher

LEET
Just use this link that appears under the thread.

Get a Limited Edition Halo 3 Xbox 360 for Free

Free Halo edition seXBox is all yours :yay:

Have you actually tried it? If it worked or will work for you, let me know, and I'll definitely do it. Sounds like BS to me, like those free IPOD offers.

funny, the website purposely won't let me select the fine print on the bottom so I can copy and paste it here.
here is number (4) which I don't like...
"agree to register, participate in and satisfy the requirements for 3 sponsor offers as described in the "Gift Rules" that require sampling and purchasing products of interest...."

jetmonkey

Have you actually tried it? If it worked or will work for you, let me know, and I'll definitely do it. Sounds like BS to me, like those free IPOD offers.

funny, the website purposely won't let me select the fine print on the bottom so I can copy and paste it here.
here is number (4) which I don't like...
"agree to register, participate in and satisfy the requirements for 3 sponsor offers as described in the "Gift Rules" that require sampling and purchasing products of interest...."
How can that be? The banner ad states "Fill out some forms and it's yours!"

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I sent mine back before they extended the warrenty, they wanted to charge 150 for the repair, I talked them down to 65, then two months after I got it back they sent my money back

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Don't have a 360, and with all the news I've heard about them breaking down after a year or so, don't think I'll get one either. Keep hearing when they work they're great, but when the break.........:shrug:

Two guys I know had them burn up they first night they came out:lmao: They were so mad, I bought 3 the first night they came out and mine lasted over a year, the other two have not gone out yet

Pete

Repete

What is RRoD?

Pete

Repete
you just recently purchased your system right? so you're probably fine assuming MS fixed the problem.

Got it in Jan. Doubt they fixed it but according to the article I have 3 years for the RRod. Anything other than that is $99. Ours has some hours on it :lol:

Kerad

Well the Elite systems have only been out for a couple of months, who knows how long they'll last, hopefully they've resolved the problem. Most of the workers at BestBuy don't know what they're talking about so I wouldn't trust their opinions.
I do like the black Elite version, and it also has HDMI. But if I buy the Arcade version it's about $200 less because I already have the HardDrive and the old Component cables. I'll spend a couple of nights trying to fix my old one since I'm stubborn and I've gotten it to work somewhat.

I had a launch release 360 that bricked on me a year after I had it. I swapped it at Best Buy (I had the extended warranty), and has lasted me since.

However, I sense the end is near for this one, as well. It's considerably louder at times(fan noise), and I've been getting quite a few dirty disc errors as well...the dics are just fine. All precursors to it's imminent death. It's all heat related...the units get too hot for too long and result in warping the motherboards...or so I've read.

The Elites are supposed to have fixed this. A friend of mine bought an elite around Christmas (he is on his 4th 360), and he says it's a bit quieter, but most importantly it blows cool air out of it's exhaust, even after playing it for a few hours. A big difference over the older versions...along with the HDMI. :yay:

I'll be picking up an elite the day my current Box bricks...if not before.

Last edited: