Xfinity Internet with DirecTV??

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We are tired of dealing with our Verizon DSL and are interested in switching to Comcast Xfinity. Can you use Xfinity for internet if you have DirecTV or do you need to switch your TV over to Comcast too? Looking at Comcast's website, it "looks" like you can have DTV for TV and Xfinity for internet but want to make sure. I tried the "chat" feature on the website but you have to be a customer and also for the forums part of the website. I have heard that in order to do this, you'd need a splitter but we have tried that before and our DTV doesn't like splitters and stops working. Any help would be appreciated.

koan00

We are tired of dealing with our Verizon DSL and are interested in switching to Comcast Xfinity. Can you use Xfinity for internet if you have DirecTV or do you need to switch your TV over to Comcast too? Looking at Comcast's website, it "looks" like you can have DTV for TV and Xfinity for internet but want to make sure. I tried the "chat" feature on the website but you have to be a customer and also for the forums part of the website. I have heard that in order to do this, you'd need a splitter but we have tried that before and our DTV doesn't like splitters and stops working. Any help would be appreciated.
You can, but you'd need separate cables for the directv and comcast cable. For example I have metrocast for internet and directv for tv. Two different feeds come into the house. The cables running throughout the house are DTV, and separate cable that ends in the basement is for metrocast. The metrocast cable connects to a cable modem and the modem is connected to a router.

littlelady

God bless the USA

Just to let you know, we had comcast for all years living in Calvert; the Bundle. We got sick of them upping the bill every year when weren’t getting anything different, and having to call to argue the point. We, also, argued the cut off move fee, and they, finally, waived it. We have, now, moved to Montgomery. We chose Verizon for internet; which is costly, and aggravating with the in and out. We got DTV on a special new move in a year ago. The bill we got a year later went up, astronomically, plus the fact the DTV went out when ever the wind blew. So, we said forget it, and cancelled and paid the disconnect fee which will be cost effective in a couple of months. What we have now is Verizon Fios internet (74/mo) and Hulu Live(40/month); it is cheaper if you want to watch recorded shows. We did buy one time cost fire sticks (35/each), and bought an amplified mesh system for 300, and we are good to go. Now, no blind WiFi spots in the house. Yippee!

We were required to send back all DTV items back in a postage paid box. That was fine. We chose to leave the dish on top of the house because of holes in the roof. If they want that back, they can come get it. See ya! Cutting the cord one customer at a time!

Edit: We just installed the WiFi thing this week; all you do is plug it in. That’s it! So far, it is perfection.

Also, we are paying 114/mo, plus taxes, which is better than 175/mo plus taxes. I am sure hub will figure out a way to get it down from that. Prices to watch tv/use internet/use phones are out of control! Monopolies be gone!

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
You can, but you'd need separate cables for the directv and comcast cable. For example I have metrocast for internet and directv for tv. Two different feeds come into the house. The cables running throughout the house are DTV, and separate cable that ends in the basement is for metrocast. The metrocast cable connects to a cable modem and the modem is connected to a router.

Yes, I talked to somebody at Comcast and they basically said the same thing. One cable for DTV and one for internet. They are coming tomorrow to install it. Not happy about the price (after the two year discount) but it should be better than having Verizon DSL that stops working all the time and is really slow. If CRE would allow Fios to come in, we would have gone to that instead.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Yes, I talked to somebody at Comcast and they basically said the same thing. One cable for DTV and one for internet. They are coming tomorrow to install it. Not happy about the price (after the two year discount) but it should be better than having Verizon DSL that stops working all the time and is really slow. If CRE would allow Fios to come in, we would have gone to that instead.

Buy your own modem.
You will save a few bucks per month.

Clem72

Buy your own modem.
You will save a few bucks per month.

Maybe. I have family with Comcast in another state, they can buy their own modem but it actually costs more. Comcast provides them with a modem with no "fee" (just part of the base rate) and actually charges 5 bucks a month to support a non-Comcast provided modem.

luvmygdaughters

I, Like you, am disgusted with Verizon DSL speed or should I say lack of. Let me know how the Xfinity thing works for you. I may do that myself.