Yellow Perch Fishing Report

fish67

If anyone fishes Allens Fresh and wants to file a report with photos we would love to hear from you! Everyone ready for spring? I know I am...

shark2003

I go there about once every year in March and sometimes I hit them but alot of times I dont,I didnt get anything last year and it was around mid March. The year before I caught about 3 or 4 there.. Is there any good bait or method to catching them? I've tried minnows and grass shrimp and beetle spins with mixed results,but nothing ever great. A couple of years ago I even caught a yellow perch down behind Ryken high school in Leonardtown in March...I may try down there again so I wont have to drive so far.

jrt_ms1995

Glad to see they've lifted the restriction on yellow perch in McIntosh Run this year; not that I've ever caught any there (since I don't get to fish enough), but it is in the back yard.

shark2003

Glad to see they've lifted the restriction on yellow perch in McIntosh Run this year; not that I've ever caught any there (since I don't get to fish enough), but it is in the back yard.

Cool,I was wondering about that,I emailed DNR and asked if it had been lifted but I never got a response and I didnt see it as being closed in the fishing regs..Very Cool

shark2003

This is the response I received from an email I sent to DNR .

"There are no area or season restrictions for recreational yellow perch fishing. There are restrictions for commercial and I can forward those to you if you want them. Please contact me if you have any questions."

I think we all mis-understood the rules but DNR didnt make it clear that the restriction was for commercial fishing only...

Should be plenty of them...hmm...the question for me now is...how do you get to them without a boat..canoe..etc.....??

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Has it started yet this year? I heard there were a few fishermen this weekend at Allen's Fresh.

There wasn't a soul their Saturday when I went through at 0830 and again on the return trip about 0915. :buddies:

Anabaptist

Is McIntosh Run that little creek that runs through Leonardtown? I've head about fishing it, but it doesn't seem like there is much water. Can you find better spots by canoe?

jrt_ms1995

Is McIntosh Run that little creek that runs through Leonardtown? I've head about fishing it, but it doesn't seem like there is much water. Can you find better spots by canoe?

"Yes" to the first question, and "I hope so" to the second. You can certainly paddle it by canoe or kayak, but generally my wife won't let me stop paddling long enough to fish!

Anabaptist

I go there about once every year in March and sometimes I hit them but alot of times I dont,I didnt get anything last year and it was around mid March. The year before I caught about 3 or 4 there.. Is there any good bait or method to catching them? I've tried minnows and grass shrimp and beetle spins with mixed results,but nothing ever great. A couple of years ago I even caught a yellow perch down behind Ryken high school in Leonardtown in March...I may try down there again so I wont have to drive so far.

Mid March might be a bit late. I usually look for a few days of warm weather right when February is turning into March. (Early March usually)

I heard a guy speak of Ryken yesterday. It's legal to fish behind the school?

Sparx

I'm seeing a lot of folks fishing at Waysons Corner. Is the yellow perch run still on? I was out-of-town and thought I missed it.

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE
Wow!!

Caught two yellow perch in lake lariet this weekend... It was kind of a suprise...I have fished that lake for years and never caught any before...Few years back i caught some white perch as well.. Wonder how they get in there..People or birds? Maybe both? :howdy: