Yellow Perch/Pawtuxent

fishinfool

Among other things
It may be a little early due to the cold weather lately but has anyone had any luck finding Yellow Perch in the Pawtuxent yet this year?

BOHDEN

I know nanjemoy is good bit away from patuxent river, but my nephew has been catching them there like crazy last week

fishinfool said:
It may be a little early due to the cold weather lately but has anyone had any luck finding Yellow Perch in the Pawtuxent yet this year?
What creeks do they spawn in on the Patuxent?

Mikeinsmd

fishinfool said:
February is usually the month you catch them.

Mikeinsmd said:
February is usually the month you catch them.
I seem to remember them spawning at Allens fresh around the middle or end of March, only place I've ever tried to catch them.

D

dems4me

desertrat said:
I seem to remember them spawning at Allens fresh around the middle or end of March, only place I've ever tried to catch them.

Theres boat loads of them in the Mattawoman (near IndianHead) usually abuot mid to late March :yay:

fishinfool

Among other things
desertrat said:
What creeks do they spawn in on the Patuxent?

I don't know but I've caught them around Wayson's Corners in March before. I saw some cars at the bridge the last warm day a week or so ago and it got me thinking.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I managed to catch a bunch last summer at the lake. I didn't know there were any in there.

fishinfool said:
I don't know but I've caught them around Wayson's Corners in March before. I saw some cars at the bridge the last warm day a week or so ago and it got me thinking.
All it takes is one warm day to put the fishing bug in your ear. Even if it's just to test out a new reel. Stop by and see if anyones catching.:yay:

Jameo

What?!
Crow Bait said:
Watch for the forsythia blooms...

Really? I have a few blooms on some of mine. Also saw an osprey this week. The fish are somewhere out there in the patuxent :yay:

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
desertrat said:

Has anyone caught any there yet?? I have a special little run that's a little downriver that I want to try. I've heard you can catch them year round there. :dude:

D

dems4me

AJKHOMEIMPROVE said:
Talked to the folks that run CJ's in waysons corner... They are the ones that get most of the fish stories about the fat perch cause they are right by the patuxent (route 4)bridge, Folks they say ain't much happening yet, give a wk of warmer temps they should be up getting ready to head to the shallows and spawn. Number is 301-627-5760 they are the 1st to hear about good fishing, plus most people get the grass shrimp there. Not quite sure about Najemoy, We went early last year about 6 or 7 times and did'nt catch jack squat. I really believe that Najemoy is a dead creek and not sure as of why... Yes fish show up on the fish finder but never took ANY BAITS! And trust me we used everything from lures to squid, night crawlers, grass shrimps,bloodworms, the works. As reported last summer the water quality up there is VERY POOR. I can only imagine what the water is gonna be like this summer.. If you really want to know about the tidal potomac visit www.potomacbass.com
They are on the water almost every day and know where thefish are.!

Try the Mattawomen, although its getting a little overfished but fish are still plentifull, you are guaranteed to catch SOMETHING when temps warm. I have howver, noticed the fish have gotten a lot more fussy... the do tear up some green worms though!!! Only problem is you go to work with bright greenish yellow stained hands and then have to explain its from bait. Thats fine and all down here, but as a girl and as a girl working in the city, that doesn't go over too good... generally I get an EWWW kind of look... don't know what else I can say its from though :shrug: :lol:

dems4me said:
Try the Mattawomen, although its getting a little overfished but fish are still plentifull, you are guaranteed to catch SOMETHING when temps warm. I have howver, noticed the fish have gotten a lot more fussy... the do tear up some green worms though!!! Only problem is you go to work with bright greenish yellow stained hands and then have to explain its from bait. Thats fine and all down here, but as a girl and as a girl working in the city, that doesn't go over too good... generally I get an EWWW kind of look... don't know what else I can say its from though :shrug: :lol:
Get some of those disposable doctors gloves.

D

dems4me

desertrat said:
Get some of those disposable doctors gloves.

Kind of a pain...:lol: Won't the fish smell the latex on the bait? :shrug: :confused: If not, then GREAT idea!!! :clap: I ask because I've read up on this kind of thing, they said not to use sunscreen then bait your hook same for bugspray, etc... the fish are excellent smellers and can tell your bait is not a "natural" bait. :shrug:

dems4me said:
Kind of a pain...:lol: Won't the fish smell the latex on the bait? :shrug: :confused: If not, then GREAT idea!!! :clap: I ask because I've read up on this kind of thing, they said not to use sunscreen then bait your hook same for bugspray, etc... the fish are excellent smellers and can tell your bait is not a "natural" bait. :shrug:
Ever hear of spraying the bait with WD40? They use that to mask human scent.
The Washington Post this morning says the perch have spawned in Allens Fresh and are still in the creek.

Cowgirl

I can't wait till the white perch start runnin' at Tuckahoe!!!!! :yahoo: Only a few more weeks maybe.