Yet another T-bone accident at Deloitte building!!!

MiddleGround

No, but you doi have to use judgement when deciding when you are misusing the turn only lane. I'f I'm leaving the hottel/Mexican place and turning into ABC liquors, do I need to get into the 235 travel lanes?

Agree 100%

Even the part where you said "turn only lane."

No, you would not need to merge into the travel lane seeing as it is such a short distance however, riding from the Walmart exit to the ABC lot is different.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Incorrect. Cutting through a parking lot to avoid a traffic signal is illegal. In the case described here, the road behind Chipolte, which is open for public use and thus is a legal travel lane. It is not illegal to travel on that road. Even if one doesn't want to sit at the nb light.[/QUOTE

The parking lot behind Chipotle is not a road. If the a$$wipes went to Spruce Dr and then left on to Chestnut they would be legal. They cut through the parking lot. Illegal.

The only parking lot behind Chipotle belongs to Cedar Point FCU. There is a road between Chipotle and Cedar Point.

MiddleGround

The only parking lot behind Chipotle belongs to Cedar Point FCU. There is a road between Chipotle and Cedar Point.

I believe the original author meant to say that it is not a "road." It is a service drive. The county does not maintain that service drive.

glhs837

Power with Control
Agree 100%

Even the part where you said "turn only lane."

No, you would not need to merge into the travel lane seeing as it is such a short distance however, riding from the Walmart exit to the ABC lot is different.

I would say that's a case by case judgement call. Depends on traffic flow. Sometimes the people in lane wont let you merge.

MiddleGround

I would say that's a case by case judgement call. Depends on traffic flow. Sometimes the people in lane wont let you merge.

I see your point however, every intersection that you would merge from should have a YIELD sign which indicates that you have to yield to oncoming traffic prior to entering the merge lane. This gives the merger an opportunity to pick an open spot to enter with the flow of traffic.

If coming out of a business, it is left up to the driver to use caution and pick their spot.

Either way, it is NOT permission to just dart into the merge lane and 'hope' someone lets you in or to use it as another thru lane/drive lane.

glhs837

Power with Control
I see your point however, every intersection that you would merge from should have a YIELD sign which indicates that you have to yield to oncoming traffic prior to entering the merge lane. This gives the merger an opportunity to pick an open spot to enter with the flow of traffic.

If coming out of a business, it is left up to the driver to use caution and pick their spot.

Either way, it is NOT permission to just dart into the merge lane and 'hope' someone lets you in or to use it as another thru lane/drive lane.

Who was discussing darting anywhere? This particular bit was about how far you can use the far right "turn only" lane, legally and morally.

Actually

All that needs to be done is close that turnaround so people go a couple hundred feet further south to make a u-turn at a much better intersection at the rib place, or at the traffic light on Exploration. As long as you give them an opportunity to be bad drivers they will be.

As far as the folks using the turn lane as an express lane, those folks eventually get what they deserve; an accident or a ticket.

All that needs to be done is for our local politicians go to the state and demand they fix that screwed up intersection at Buck Hewitt and 235.

Where, other than at the end of these "Right Turn Only" lanes everyone talks about, does it say "Right Turn Only"? What about people who have never traveled these roads? Are they expected to know that the lane ends if it is only marked near the end of the lane?

This sign is in the NB lane right by the old PNC bank. The are placed periodically down the road. Pretty hard to miss them.

Capture.jpg

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I seem to recall from driving school that 100 feet or so before your turn is the proper use of that lane?
Also, using the directional signals on your car to indicate ALL lane changes and turns?

Plus, the yellow light means slow down and stop, not gun it and sail through on the red...

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I seem to recall from driving school that 100 feet or so before your turn is the proper use of that lane?
Also, using the directional signals on your car to indicate ALL lane changes and turns?

Plus, the yellow light means slow down and stop, not gun it and sail through on the red...
Directional's. :lol: And I mean that in a good way! You MASS people are so funny!

BernieP

Resident PIA
There was yet another T-bone accident just in front of the Deloitte building (across from NFCU on 235)

Another instance of someone trying to make a U-turn onto NB 235 during afternoon rush hour and an idiot racing up the RIGHT TURN ONLY lane to get ahead hit them doing about 45-50MPH! This is the 4th time I personally have seen this type of accident at that exact place in the last 6 months! Do the sheriffs do anything about this? Do they patrol that area at all? I never see one on the road during this time.

Does it take fatalities to get someone to do their job around here??

Well you just perpetuated the myth that it's a "merge" lane. The markings on the road and the posted signs say "RIGHT TURN ONLY", not "Acceleration Lane" or "Merge"

Cops can't do 100% enforcement when people don't even know what the signs say.
They certainly can't do 100% enforcement from Pegg Rd to RT 4. It's not just in there, it's the entire length. It's not just speeding up the shoulder, but some people would argue that they are making a right - into Wa Wa to come out on the other side of the light. Then the argument is, what is a reasonable distance to be in that lane to make a right turn - a half mile, a quarter mile, a tenth of a mile? What's the speed limit in that lane? Posted limit of 45? Less?

It's like lane spitting with a bike, you can do it, it's stupid because someone may actually make a legal maneuver and , well, you're dead or worse (disabled for life).

The only solution is to (a) drop the speed limit on 235 to 30 MPH, (b) add more stop lights and (c) remove the cut through u-turns. Easy as A, B, C.

It might take an hour to go from Rt 4 to Pegg Rd, but it's the only alternative to reduce serious accidents since you can't change the poor design and fix stupid.
IMHO, anyone who refers to the RIGHT TURN lane as a MERGE is stupid.

glhs837

Power with Control

Directional's. :lol: And I mean that in a good way! You MASS people are so funny!

Well, I'm torn on this one, he did say directional........but then he said there was a proper use for those, which would indicate NOT being from Mass, where such usage is banned by common decree as giving information to the enemy.

Grumpy

anyone who refers to the RIGHT TURN lane as a MERGE is stupid.

So you're one of those guys that stops at a Yield sign?? Case in point, coming off Buck Hewitt onto SB 235..You have close to a half mile "RIGHT TURN" lane before Exploration Dr..but it's a RIGHT TURN lane, so you stop at the Yield and dart into the through traffic lane when able just cuz you don't wanna appear stupid...:lol:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Well, I'm torn on this one, he did say directional........but then he said there was a proper use for those, which would indicate NOT being from Mass, where such usage is banned by common decree as giving information to the enemy.

:whistle:

BOP

Who in their right mind is in that big of a hurry to get to work!?! :lmao:

Although, I once saw a car speeding SB 235 in the turn lane, turn right on Pegg Rd., make an immediate U-turn to cross 235 into gate 1. He was being chased by a cop who lost him. Yes, I called it in.

I had to pee.