Yet another T-bone accident at Deloitte building!!!

BernieP

Resident PIA
So you're one of those guys that stops at a Yield sign?? Case in point, coming off Buck Hewitt onto SB 235..You have close to a half mile "RIGHT TURN" lane before Exploration Dr..but it's a RIGHT TURN lane, so you stop at the Yield and dart into the through traffic lane when able just cuz you don't wanna appear stupid...:lol:

and there are at least 3 entrances / exits in that span of road before you are forced to turn. Vehicles on 235 have the right of way, but if some is screaming down the turn lane - "accelerating to merge", they over take the slower traffic in the right lane trying to exit 235 - forcing the vehicles on 235 to brake.

The same #### plays out at every intersection. You are correct, yield does not mean you are required to stop. But if there is no opening in the traffic, in which to merge, acceleration in the turn lane with vehicles trying to move right to slow and exit, is a sure fire way to have or cause an accident

Should mention that one reason I am happy to block the cut thru (like the one at the Deloitte building, is that I don't believe most people making the left or a U-turn have a clear view of all three lanes plus the turn lane. Conversely, the vehicles in the other two lanes and the turn lane have their vision of the cut thru blocked by traffic in the left most lane.

Stopping and waiving the vehicle on gives the driver the false sense they are clear to go. Which most often they are not.

Not even the smallest of cars can keep their turn in one lane, they inadvertently spill into the adjacent lane.

edreedisgod20

Even if SMCSO were to patrol the area more during rush hour, it's a losing battle, no? For every 1 car pulled over, there are probably another 50-100 if not more that are going to be whizzing by where the officer has that car pulled over. I would guess a single officer could probably pull over between 4 to 6 cars per hour (10-15 minutes per car), so best case scenario, between 330 and 530, you are looking at 12ish cars a day per officer, assuming you don't end up with someone who has a warrant, drugs, etc. What's the penalty for it? A ticket and a fine? Is a fine really a deterrent at all, given the salaries many at PAX pull in?

Not suggesting that the answer is to do nothing, but I don't know there's a whole lot SMCSO can do about it either.

glhs837

Power with Control
Even if SMCSO were to patrol the area more during rush hour, it's a losing battle, no? For every 1 car pulled over, there are probably another 50-100 if not more that are going to be whizzing by where the officer has that car pulled over. I would guess a single officer could probably pull over between 4 to 6 cars per hour (10-15 minutes per car), so best case scenario, between 330 and 530, you are looking at 12ish cars a day per officer, assuming you don't end up with someone who has a warrant, drugs, etc. What's the penalty for it? A ticket and a fine? Is a fine really a deterrent at all, given the salaries many at PAX pull in?

Not suggesting that the answer is to do nothing, but I don't know there's a whole lot SMCSO can do about it either.

If you focus enforcement on a thing, and the penalty is harsh enough, then you will deter it. One reason that automated enforcement doesnt work so well is that the fines are low, and dont increase, and there's no points. If you pull over 3-5 cars a day for failure to yield and misuse of turn lanes, accompanied by some press coverage you can make a dent. But here's where it usually falls down. It has to be a a continual but random effort. Every time the sheriff does a block the box enfocement, you can literally see an immediate difference. But he's only done I think two in four years or so. I have seen them doing turn lane and signal light pypass a couple times, but it's not often enough to make it a feared thing.

You post seems to indiacte speed enforcement. I dont think anyones asking for that, as the crashes as not being caused by speeding.

MiddleGround

Easy solution:

1 patrol car in the Wawa parking lot. Another patrol car in the hotel parking lot. Pull over anyone who pulls through.

1 patrol car in the lot across from Chipotle (the business building) and another in the Firehouse subs lot. Plenty of room to line 'em up for ticketing in that lot. For evading a signal light.

I could go on. It just means that the SMCS needs to commit to enforcement. They would make THOUSANDS per day!!

glhs837

Power with Control
Easy solution:

1 patrol car in the Wawa parking lot. Another patrol car in the hotel parking lot. Pull over anyone who pulls through.

1 patrol car in the lot across from Chipotle (the business building) and another in the Firehouse subs lot. Plenty of room to line 'em up for ticketing in that lot. For evading a signal light.

I could go on. It just means that the SMCS needs to commit to enforcement. They would make THOUSANDS per day!!

Nah, enforcement is always a money loser. Barring some rare cases, what and officers hourly cost and the upkeep of equipment, you don't make a profit.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Easy solution:

Why don't you run for Sheriff since you seem to have the answers and know better than the folks who are out there serving the public.

MiddleGround

Why don't you run for Sheriff since you seem to have the answers and know better than the folks who are out there serving the public.

Ahh yes. The common answer among those who can offer no valid ideas or counterpoints. Simple answer..

I already have a job that I do well and get paid well for it. There is already someone that is in the Sheriff's position. How about we hold them accountable for the work THEY are supposed to accomplish??!

1stGenSMIB

Should mention that one reason I am happy to block the cut thru (like the one at the Deloitte building, is that I don't believe most people making the left or a U-turn have a clear view of all three lanes plus the turn lane. Conversely, the vehicles in the other two lanes and the turn lane have their vision of the cut thru blocked by traffic in the left most lane.

Stopping and waiving the vehicle on gives the driver the false sense they are clear to go. Which most often they are not.

Not even the smallest of cars can keep their turn in one lane, they inadvertently spill into the adjacent lane.

Me too..I don't trust anyone on the road, and certainly not some idiot thinking that their phone on speaker is "hands-free" while waiving me thru some intersection with the other (oops, a little digression there, sorry.) I also don't ever go to NFCU, I am one of the NB folks coming out of Exploration blocking it with you. I especially block this one in particular because most of the people coming out of NFCU have to go up hill on SB 235 to get in to that turn lane anyway..how far is the next u-turn at Smokey Joe's, 200 yards?

If everyone followed the rules, there would be no need for waiving anyway, but a lot of drivers are idiots.

I do wave peds across the crosswalks, so that way they know 100% for sure I have seen them.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Me too..I don't trust anyone on the road, and certainly not some idiot thinking that their phone on speaker is "hands-free" while waiving me thru some intersection with the other (oops, a little digression there, sorry.) I also don't ever go to NFCU, I am one of the NB folks coming out of Exploration blocking it with you. I especially block this one in particular because most of the people coming out of NFCU have to go up hill on SB 235 to get in to that turn lane anyway..how far is the next u-turn at Smokey Joe's, 200 yards?

If everyone followed the rules, there would be no need for waiving anyway, but a lot of drivers are idiots.

I do wave peds across the crosswalks, so that way they know 100% for sure I have seen them.

actually that is illegal, it looks like it's aligned, but it's not. I know someone who got a ticket there for doing just that.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Ahh yes. The common answer among those who can offer no valid ideas or counterpoints. Simple answer..

I already have a job that I do well and get paid well for it. There is already someone that is in the Sheriff's position. How about we hold them accountable for the work THEY are supposed to accomplish??!

Well, if you already have a job, then stop trying to tell LE how to do their job.

MiddleGround

Well, if you already have a job, then stop trying to tell LE how to do their job.

Someone has to! How many traffic fatalities, wrecked vehicles, and injured motorists do YOU need to count before YOU think something should be done?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Driving against the flow of traffic. Which is what everyone does in order to use that U-turn lane when leaving NFCU.
Never mind, I see what you're saying now. I just looked at the map and one actually has to go south bound a little bit when leaving NFCU in order to get to that U-turn across the street.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Someone has to! How many traffic fatalities, wrecked vehicles, and injured motorists do YOU need to count before YOU think something should be done?

Really? SMCSO has a staff of about 120. Responsible for a jurisdiction with a population of about 112,000. And that 120 is not all patrol division. What the f*ck do you expect these people to do? They can't be everywhere all at once all the time which means they'll never satisfy all of the Monday Morning Quarterbacks, like you, who stand on the side lines and criticize the people who are on the front lines 24/7. If you're such a law enforcement expert, then stop b!tching about the ones who really are, quit your wonderful job, and become part of the solution.

glhs837

Power with Control
To agree with Pitt here, when you look at the data, the "trail of tears" you describe isnt really there. Fatalities? Very very few. Might average less than one a year. Wrecked vehicles? Not that many, really. Tons of fender benders. Injured motorists beyond the bandaid stage? Again, just not that many. And that's one reason the SHA shut down the Sheriffs request for red light cameras. The supporting crash and injury data just wasn't there.

This sign is in the NB lane right by the old PNC bank. The are placed periodically down the road. Pretty hard to miss them.

View attachment 121685

A "right turn only" where? You and I know that lane ends at Maple. Does everyone know that? That lane with the sign you put on here doesn't end for almost a half mile. I notice too, that the white lane marking for that lane is the same for the through lane.

A "right turn only" where? You and I know that lane ends at Maple. Does everyone know that? That lane with the sign you put on here doesn't end for almost a half mile. I notice too, that the white lane marking for that lane is the same for the through lane.
And now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Go take a drive and actually look at and read the signs.

If you look at the sign, it says right under the turned arrow, 'must turn right'. There isn't just the one sign, they are placed all the way down that stretch to keep reminding people.

And the lane dividers are not the same, the right turn lane has short dashes as opposed to long dashes which differentiate it from the rest of the lanes.

And I'm done responding to this.