YMCA

letsmove

I oppose the building of the YMCA. First, projected operating cost? Who is going to fund the daily cost of operating? It's a GYM. We have many Gyms - most closed due to COVID and home gym equipment. The other issue, the leadership at the YMCA (selling this to the county/state/federal) spend most of their (powerpoint presentation) about the benefits of the swimming pool. WHAT? You do know the YMCA is going to be built literally next to the county swimming pool. 2 Pools next to each other? Without the Pool - the YMCA is truly just another Gym! I vote NO.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I oppose the building of the YMCA. First, projected operating cost? Who is going to fund the daily cost of operating? It's a GYM. We have many Gyms - most closed due to COVID and home gym equipment. The other issue, the leadership at the YMCA (selling this to the county/state/federal) spend most of their (powerpoint presentation) about the benefits of the swimming pool. WHAT? You do know the YMCA is going to be built literally next to the county swimming pool. 2 Pools next to each other? Without the Pool - the YMCA is truly just another Gym! I vote NO.
Where is this?

GregV814

1674566014992.png

why do you hate these fine men?

CPUSA

I oppose your screen name.
Wasn't that Moochelle's failed health campaign during her squat time in the People's House?
My guess is your issues stem more from the M & the C in the club's name...

Go ahead. Prove me wrong today...then we'll watch your following posts prove me right every day after that...

letsmove

Where is this?
the plan is to build (fund 22mil) literally next to the great mills swimming pool. will be owned and operated by the YMCA of the Chesapeake. Some group which owns several YMCA(s). No one local is directly involved with this project except the taxpayers being 'asked' to fund it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I oppose the building of the YMCA.

I also opposed it when they were talking about one in Waldorf, but not for the same reasons you do. The YMCA isn't "just a gym" - that's ignorance talking.

I love the Y. I grew up with one a short city bus ride away and was there several times a week for various classes and Teen Nights and civic clubs. They sponsored a summer camp and various activities. But that was Lincoln NE in the 70s.

Maryland in the 2020s would see it be a gang hang out and drug market, rife with crime and violence - especially in that location. All that money would be spent and that place would be a shambles within a year. The only thing it would be good for is get all the bad element together in one building, chain the doors, and burn it to the ground.

Clem72

First I have heard, but i'm pretty sure there are several swimming locations around the county. Maybe the YMCA is cheaper than the CSM ones?

Clem72

the plan is to build (fund 22mil) literally next to the great mills swimming pool. will be owned and operated by the YMCA of the Chesapeake. Some group which owns several YMCA(s). No one local is directly involved with this project except the taxpayers being 'asked' to fund it.
Why would taxpayers fund a project that would be privately owned? That's super fishy.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Why would taxpayers fund a project that would be privately owned? That's super fishy.
The same reason that the County and State funded the Boy's and Girl's Club in North Beach (which was originally supposed to be in the Ranch Club).

I've wanted the Y to come in a take over the B&G here for years for a number of reasons.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Nothing but agreement in the comments..nobody wants to use our taxpayer $ for that in that location.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If all they want are pools I've got perfect locations for them, Leonardtown, Great Mills and Chopticon. If you need more we can select a few secondary schools. I know my go to is to put it into the schools, but we had them in my high school and they are open to the public after hours, weekends and summers. My old high school actually has two pools in it.

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Also a "Young Mens Christian Association" sounds like something that would be questionable for a government project.
They tried to rebrand themselves as "The 'Y' " and dropped the focus on the "C", but it's still an inherent part of the organization.

It was originally formed as a place for white boys and blacks were excluded. Fits right in Great Mills/Lex Park.