Yoga

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
So I've been doing this for about 4 weeks. In some stretches I'm seeing actual improvements, some others, not so much. I like that it doesn't negatively impact my joints. We have a DVD of a good 20 minute stretch routine. I can see us doing this even when we hit the road. Now I wish I had done this sooner in life. Many of the stretches are similar to what I did in football & wrestling practice over the years.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So I've been doing this for about 4 weeks. In some stretches I'm seeing actual improvements, some others, not so much. I like that it doesn't negatively impact my joints. We have a DVD of a good 20 minute stretch routine. I can see us doing this even when we hit the road. Now I wish I had done this sooner in life. Many of the stretches are similar to what I did in football & wrestling practice over the years.

:yay:

I wish I'd started it earlier in life, too. (In fact, I posted that on my FB page today!) I love, love, love Yoga. I've noticed increased strength and flexibility, plus it's helped rehab some areas I'd had some problems with previously. (shoulder pain and golf elbow) I also find it so relaxing and calming - I can always use a little Zen! :biggrin:

Bonehead

That is why I swim every day no joint stress and my mind roams all over the place, body is in auto,

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Yup. All the pluses of exercise with none of the negatives of weights and running and other exercises that we pay for later.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yup. All the pluses of exercise with none of the negatives of weights and running and other exercises that we pay for later.

As you know, one of my favorite nags is: guys don't stretch and that's why they hurt themselves. Note that your football/wrestling/whatever practices always include stretching.

Weights and cardio are important, but your body needs to be flexible as well. Plus it's good for your golf swing. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As you know, one of my favorite nags is: guys don't stretch and that's why they hurt themselves.

Weights and cardio are important, but your body needs to be flexible as well. Plus it's good for your golf swing. :yay:

Weights are not important for health. We get plenty of weight from yoga and calisthenics, regular body weight bearing stuff like... :evil: And yoga is also plenty good for cardio too. But yeah, stretching should be what, at least 20% of a workout?

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I was doing yoga a couple of times a week before I had surgery and it was a good way to ease back into working out once I was up to it. Glad the Christmas rush is over so I can get back to it today, just losing a few days seems to make a difference.

Last edited:

LC_Sulla

Weights are not important for health. We get plenty of weight from yoga and calisthenics, regular body weight bearing stuff like... :evil: And yoga is also plenty good for cardio too. But yeah, stretching should be what, at least 20% of a workout?

Resistance training is extremely important for one's overall health and fitness, especially as we age. Our bones actually respond to different loading conditions. When we load up bones (through resistance training) they change shape and become stronger. As we age and begin to lose bone density, resistance training can help offset this naturally occurring aging process.

:cheers:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
what color YOGA pants are you wearing M ;-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

on a serious note, what is the title of your DVD? I too need to get my act together so i can golf into my 80's and break my age as my dad does now....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Resistance training is extremely important for one's overall health and fitness, especially as we age. Our bones actually respond to different loading conditions. When we load up bones (through resistance training) they change shape and become stronger. As we age and begin to lose bone density, resistance training can help offset this naturally occurring aging process.

:cheers:

Is weight = resistance?

LC_Sulla

Is weight = resistance?

You can do resistance training with (1) body weight (like push ups and pull ups), (2) actual weights (like dumbbells, universal machine, and weighted bars), and/or (3) with a resistance band.

The more resistance you use, the more your bones adapt, and the stronger they become. Most people require use of weights to achieve significant/measurable results.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You can do resistance training with (1) body weight (like push ups and pull ups), (2) actual weights (like dumbbells, universal machine, and weighted bars), and/or (3) with a resistance band.

The more resistance you use, the more your bones adapt, and the stronger they become. Most people require use of weights to achieve significant/measurable results.

OK. Would we agree that 'heavy' weight training is net bad for the body over time? :popcorn:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Great, BUT you didn't answer the two questions, Color Yoga pants for M and title of yoga instruction ;-)))))

No yoga pants for me. I just were some lose fitting gym shorts for now. The video is Yoga For Beginners. Here's a link to it. Yoga DVD

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Then you get Dirty Harry who gets taken out by his rubber band. I've seen MMA fighters come out of a fight in better shape.