You Are A Loser for ONLY Making 135 k

SamSpade

Wow. After all my years - I STILL don't make that much. I can't sympathize with someone who can't conceive of dating someone who "ONLY" makes 135k.

On the other hand, I CAN conceive of the idea of dating someone who makes half of my salary - that's been my case all of my life. I just don't understand it when WOMEN have the problem of dating someone who makes less than them when THEY make more than 99% of the entire population. You'd think that if you wanted to be happy with someone who loves you - you wouldn't fuss if they weren't richer than most of the nation's population, to say nothing of the entire western world, or the world in general.

I have to admit, my interest in my wife of 16 years has largely been - she wasn't at all concerned over the issue I'd always had - which was "what have you done for me LATELY?". I found dating to be an extremely draining prospect of spending every last dime trying to impress my dates. She didn't care. She wanted to know ME.

BUT - to be fair - I would have been concerned if I were dating someone who had a high likelihood of being reckless with spending money, functioning at WAY below their earning potential and possibly never being able to earn more than minimum wage. That's mainly because I wanted a family, and being too lazy to earn more than minimum wage for the rest of your life would make that impossible.

SamSpade

E'mm, Yeeeeeah. That's not the way most of them think.

:ohwell:

Years ago, when I was suddenly dumped by a girlfriend I thought things were going well with - my somewhat cynical boss - who was himself married with several kids - said "you got beat by a better DEAL. Like anyone else, you got beat by a bigger and better DEAL". She was suddenly involved with a former boyfriend whom she was more attracted to, who suddenly became more interested in her. In all likelihood, my relationship with her - while serious on MY side - was a diversion on her part to secure more attention from a prior relationship she felt wasn't going anywhere.

In my short but brief (thankfully) dating life I noticed that women weren't very objective in their dating prospects - as could also be said of men. Any man or woman could easily expect to behave in an entirely emotional mode when it came to pursuing a relationship. Meaning, unless you were always objective about your relationship, you were likely to base pursuing it on how you felt about it, rather than an objective analysis of its success financially or otherwise. My younger sister did in fact, marry "up" to a man she presumed would provide her with an affluent lifestyle - but it was based on her feelings and animosity toward my mother and not so much an intelligent analysis of his long term ability to provide that lifestyle - which he was NOT.

I married someone based largely on two things - she was able to love and tolerate me in spite of my faults and she had a mature expectation of what life with me would be like. I don't regret that.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
There are still a LOT of women who love someone for who they are - and not for how much they make or what they own or what they can do for her.

Sometimes, those women who love so purely for love are taken advantage of, as well.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Years ago, when I was suddenly dumped by a girlfriend I thought things were going well with - my somewhat cynical boss - who was himself married with several kids - said "you got beat by a better DEAL. Like anyone else, you got beat by a bigger and better DEAL". She was suddenly involved with a former boyfriend whom she was more attracted to, who suddenly became more interested in her. In all likelihood, my relationship with her - while serious on MY side - was a diversion on her part to secure more attention from a prior relationship she felt wasn't going anywhere.

In my short but brief (thankfully) dating life I noticed that women weren't very objective in their dating prospects - as could also be said of men. Any man or woman could easily expect to behave in an entirely emotional mode when it came to pursuing a relationship. Meaning, unless you were always objective about your relationship, you were likely to base pursuing it on how you felt about it, rather than an objective analysis of its success financially or otherwise. My younger sister did in fact, marry "up" to a man she presumed would provide her with an affluent lifestyle - but it was based on her feelings and animosity toward my mother and not so much an intelligent analysis of his long term ability to provide that lifestyle - which he was NOT.

I married someone based largely on two things - she was able to love and tolerate me in spite of my faults and she had a mature expectation of what life with me would be like. I don't regret that.
My husband said I was the first girl he dated that didn't want to immediately sell the car he's had since he was 18 (1978 gold edition Trans AM that he souped up). He knew I was keeper.

UglyBear

Just like most of y'all are disgusted with both of the Central Park Karens, I am disgusted with both parties in the message.
The girl sounds like a high-maintenance high-octane lady, who was not subtle in letting the soy-boy know he's not good enough. OK.
The boy is worse, IMHO.
Since when is it fashionable to b*tch in detail, to the whole world, about your break-up? Dude, grow a pair, drink a handle, see some strippers, and get over it. Plenty of lovely ladies out there. And never, ever, ever throw back into the face of your ex her willingness to have sex on the first date -- I assume you enjoyed that part, but now you are slut-shaming her?
Anyways, this sounds like NYC BS -- as much relevance to real world and real people as day-time soap operas. Entertaining, but not real.

phreddyp

They were together eight months , most people in a relationship don't even start to take off the mask until about six months . Then you can start to experience what they are really about . He is a lucky SOB to have to have figured what she is before the I do's and kids started popping out. I don't feel sorry for him at all he should be thanking his lucky stars . He was pulled out of the way of a runaway train. However I do wish them both luck in their search for love.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Wow. After all my years - I STILL don't make that much. I can't sympathize with someone who can't conceive of dating someone who "ONLY" makes 135k.

On the other hand, I CAN conceive of the idea of dating someone who makes half of my salary - that's been my case all of my life. I just don't understand it when WOMEN have the problem of dating someone who makes less than them when THEY make more than 99% of the entire population. You'd think that if you wanted to be happy with someone who loves you - you wouldn't fuss if they weren't richer than most of the nation's population, to say nothing of the entire western world, or the world in general.

I have to admit, my interest in my wife of 16 years has largely been - she wasn't at all concerned over the issue I'd always had - which was "what have you done for me LATELY?". I found dating to be an extremely draining prospect of spending every last dime trying to impress my dates. She didn't care. She wanted to know ME.

BUT - to be fair - I would have been concerned if I were dating someone who had a high likelihood of being reckless with spending money, functioning at WAY below their earning potential and possibly never being able to earn more than minimum wage. That's mainly because I wanted a family, and being too lazy to earn more than minimum wage for the rest of your life would make that impossible.
Well, they were in NYC so to equate the two subtract between 50 - 60% of their salary to be at an equivalent salary.

It would be tough to make it in NYC on 135k a year if you live in the city too.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Exactly. It's not like it was 8 years or anything.
:yeahthat:
Christ, wifey and I dated off/on (mostly on) for 6 years before marrying for 30. And, I might add, those 6 years were during our "coming of age" years full of both bliss and anguish. The more I think about it, the more I understand about myself. Very insightful thread topic. Makes me think too much. Oh, and money never was a factor that I'm aware of. Right now, I've got real fish to catch...

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I'm just laughing at the Russian Mail Order Brides. :lol:

Beware, they have a pretty long and involved process to get hitched with. I know a person who did try that route, and there were a lot of requirements to be met, etc. :yay: