You can buy George Jetson's ride

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Bustem' Down said:
Morons can't drive, I sure don't want them flying over my head. :jet:
It would bring a whole new meaning to DWI. No, this car flies mostly on autopilot, based on GPS coordinates. At 350 mph, I could be at work in 10 minutes.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
Morons can't drive, I sure don't want them flying over my head. :jet:
Requires a pilot license. Would need a multi-engine rating. Need IFR rating to fly in poor weather/visibility. I think less that 0.1% of the U.S. population have a pilot license. The number goes down with every additional rating. I am instrument rated (IFR) but not multi-engine.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Tonio said:
It would bring a whole new meaning to DWI. No, this car flies mostly on autopilot, based on GPS coordinates. At 350 mph, I could be at work in 10 minutes.
And imagine the sky rage (as opposed to road rage): "Why are we moving at only 100 mph?! Come on!!"

Would we need some kind of traffic controllers, as we have for planes? I can't imagine the government would let these things get off the ground [for common use] until some sort of "road" system is established.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
hvp05 said:
And imagine the sky rage (as opposed to road rage): "Why are we moving at only 100 mph?! Come on!!"

Would we need some kind of traffic controllers, as we have for planes? I can't imagine the government would let these things get off the ground [for common use] until some sort of "road" system is established.
Hello? Is this thing on?

The vehicle requires a pilot license. They have to be operated under the same rules as airplanes or rotocraft.

ylexot

Super Genius
Oh, and by the way, this thing is a bad idea in general. You know how much trouble there is with the V-22? The V-22 only has two lift devices that are cross-shafted for safety...this has four (probably not cross-shafted). Bad juju from the get-go.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Moller International has developed the first and only feasible, personally affordable, personal vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) vehicle the world has ever seen.
With a $3.5 million price tag, they use the term affordable? Who are they kidding? I'll wait for the jetpack, thank you.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
ylexot said:
Oh, and by the way, this thing is a bad idea in general. You know how much trouble there is with the V-22? The V-22 only has two lift devices that are cross-shafted for safety...this has four (probably not cross-shafted). Bad juju from the get-go.
From the Moller site, it seems this may be better thought out than the V-22.
Dual Engines -- In the unlikely event of an engine failure sufficient power remains to ensure a safe and comfortable landing. Since the M400 has eight engines, one or more can fail and the Skycar will still operate safely. Unlike any light helicopter or airplane, the M400 Skycar has four engine nacelles; each with two Rotapower engines. These computer-controlled engines operate independently and allow for a vertical controlled landing should one engine fail.
Redundant Computer Stabilization Systems -- The Skycar has redundant, independent computer systems for flight management, stability and control. Should a computer problem occur backup systems would take over seamlessly. M400 has three independent computers for flight management with only one needed to fly.
Redundant Fuel Monitoring -- Multiple systems check fuel for quality and quantity and provide appropriate warnings.
Aerodynamically Stable -- In the unlikely event that insufficient power is available to hover, the Skycar's aerodynamic stability and good glide slope allows the pilot to maneuver to a safe area before using the airframe parachutes.
Rest of the safety stuff.
http://www.moller.com/skycar/safety/

T

tikipirate

What? You have a problem with an aircraft that kills a truckload of Marines during OPEVAL? You're not going to get a fruitcake from the Texas congressmen this Christmas!