"You can go to live in France...

Do you seriously think he implied 100,000 per month avoiding legal points of entry and undocumented and being vetted should be ignored?

Do you seriously think that is something America can continue to ignore without tipping the freedom boat?

This_person

Reagan was right. It's too bad our immigration policy is to select some over others in the interest of "diversity" instead of the value that they bring, and others choose to violate our sovereignty

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Do you seriously think he implied 100,000 per month avoiding legal points of entry and undocumented and being vetted should be ignored?

Do you seriously think that is something America can continue to ignore without tipping the freedom boat?
Chris doesn't give a crap about that as long as they bring him some of the good drugs when they get here.

Grumpy

I guess Chris just couldn't cut through the haze and didn't understand the "can come to America to live and become an American. " part.

SamSpade

I've been repeating this idea for decades - and it still falls on deaf ears. Being American is about an idea - whereas being Japanese or Korean or Chinese is about DNA. Being French is about culture, as is being German or British. You can live in a Jewish neighborhood all your life, but you're still goy; live your whole childhood in Japan, you're still gaijin. Russians are Rus; in Scotland, they're Scots. And it doesn't matter who your ancestors are, you will NEVER be one of them.

I had a friend in Massachusetts who worked all around the world but largely in Papua New Guinea. He helped with languages especially those that had no WRITTEN language. The people loved him - but if he spent his life and died there, he'd STILL be an outsider. Because that's where the line is drawn.

America changes all that. My three children are all from different nations, but they are definitely American, even while being proud of their ancestry. We used to tease our youngest that we weren't feeding her to make her healthy, we were fattening her up so we could have Chinese dinner. She shot back "well I'm AMERICAN now, so you'll have to settle for AMERICAN food!". America is an idea - you don't have to be some tribe or belief or whatever. You can all become American.

HOWEVER -

You have to BECOME American. You have to love what it loves, and be proud of your chosen country. Becoming American isn't like joining the Elks. You change who you are, you don't insist everyone else become LIKE YOU, and you sure don't decide "I'm living here, but if the sh@t should hit the fan, I'm fightin' for my old country." I've met people like that - families that forbid their kids to celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving, because "that's American, and you're not American".

Of all the dangers this nation faces - I do believe this is the greatest. Loss of identity.

Reagan wasn't saying everyone can come here at any time of their own choosing. He was saying if you want to become American, race or DNA or religion or all that isn't going to be a problem. You can't "become" Japanese but you can become an American if you embrace what America IS.

And I don't think a lot of these voices are embracing America at all. Heck, we had a town trying to forbid saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

transporter

Are you seriously not paying attention??????

We didn't have 100k+ until Feb of this year. I posted the chart from the Trump Administration yesterday.

There WAS NO CRISIS TILL TRUMP CREATED ONE!

WTF don't you understand about this?

Should we have 100k+ folks crossing illegally. No. And WE DIDN'T...UNTIL TRUMP!! TRUMP'S asinine comments and tweets...his idiotic cutting off of aid assured this result.

Our issues with Nork...our current issues with Iran...the problems at the southern border...our farmers unable to sell their crops...Maine lobstermen losing a prime market for their crop...steel mills shutting down...there is one common cog that connects all these wheels...Trump. The man doesn't have a god damned clue about what he is doing or the impacts his action will have. None.

Comrade GURPS keeps claiming Trump is playing 4d chess...Trump can't count that high!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Are you seriously not paying attention??????

Apparently You Are Not.

We didn't have 100k+ until Feb of this year. I posted the chart from the Trump Administration yesterday.

FY19TD_JUN_SWB_Migration graphic

There WAS NO CRISIS TILL TRUMP CREATED ONE!

Be Specific - How exactly did Trump ' create ' the crisis ?

President Trump did not create this crisis. Our existing asylum loopholes did. As early as 2014, Federal officials realized that the nature of apprehensions began changing from single adults to UACs and family units claiming asylum. Since that time, smugglers advertised these loopholes to Central and South America. They told would-be migrants that the authorities set you free if you had a child with you. They even convinced families to send their children alone on the journey, assuring them that unaccompanied children are quickly released. The smugglers appear to understand the consequences of our catch-and-release policies better than some congressional leaders.

Between October 2018 and May 2019, Border Patrol apprehended 593,507 individuals. Almost two-thirds (65.6 percent) of all apprehensions are family units and UACs. In FY 2018 and 2017, they comprised only 39 and 38 percent of all apprehensions, respectively. The catastrophe at the border is worsening not because of Trump administration policies but because of Congress’ refusal to address known deficiencies in our asylum law. Our weak laws and lack of political will incentivize migrants to journey northward and claim asylum.

Robinson charges that President Trump “responded with lies (blaming the Obama administration) [and]deflection (blaming Democrats in Congress).” He is wrong to excuse President Obama and congressional Democrats from blame. President Obama’s administration saw the beginning of this crisis and did nothing of substance to address it. Indeed, his primary immigration achievement was the unveiling of his likely unconstitutionalDACA amnesty.

Congressional Democrats, meanwhile, continue to sit on their hands. Senator Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said that changes to the Flores settlement, TVPRA or asylum were off the table. But the crisis at the border will continue unabated unless Congress addresses these exact shortcomings.

Robinson says that this is the reality of Trump’s America. The reality is that our broken asylum laws incentivize people to come north. These loopholes existed long before Donald Trump descended the golden escalator of Trump Tower to announce his presidential campaign. Without permanent legislative changes to our asylum system, today’s reality will continue long after President Trump departs the White House.

WTF don't you understand about this?

Look in the mirror and ask that question.

Should we have 100k+ folks crossing illegally. No. And WE DIDN'T ... UNTIL TRUMP!!

Yeah Trump is the Problem [see above]

With half as many illegals crossing Obama was giving speeches in 2014 about a ' crisis

More than 52000 unaccompanied illegal immigrant children have arrived on the U.S. border with Mexico since October, according to Reuters, and the president has asked Congress for $1.4 billion for shelter, food, clothing and services to care for them.

“I wish I could take all those children home with me,” Pelosi told reporters.

Nancy Pelosi Calls The Humanitarian Crisis At The US Border An 'Opportunity'

TRUMP'S asinine comments and tweets ... his idiotic cutting off of aid assured this result.

How is cutting off Aid the cause of an uptick in illegal immigrants - Be Specific

Comrade GURPS keeps claiming Trump is playing 4d chess ... Trump can't count that high!

Hijinx

I've been repeating this idea for decades - and it still falls on deaf ears. Being American is about an idea - whereas being Japanese or Korean or Chinese is about DNA. Being French is about culture, as is being German or British. You can live in a Jewish neighborhood all your life, but you're still goy; live your whole childhood in Japan, you're still gaijin. Russians are Rus; in Scotland, they're Scots. And it doesn't matter who your ancestors are, you will NEVER be one of them.

I had a friend in Massachusetts who worked all around the world but largely in Papua New Guinea. He helped with languages especially those that had no WRITTEN language. The people loved him - but if he spent his life and died there, he'd STILL be an outsider. Because that's where the line is drawn.

America changes all that. My three children are all from different nations, but they are definitely American, even while being proud of their ancestry. We used to tease our youngest that we weren't feeding her to make her healthy, we were fattening her up so we could have Chinese dinner. She shot back "well I'm AMERICAN now, so you'll have to settle for AMERICAN food!". America is an idea - you don't have to be some tribe or belief or whatever. You can all become American.

HOWEVER -

You have to BECOME American. You have to love what it loves, and be proud of your chosen country. Becoming American isn't like joining the Elks. You change who you are, you don't insist everyone else become LIKE YOU, and you sure don't decide "I'm living here, but if the sh@t should hit the fan, I'm fightin' for my old country." I've met people like that - families that forbid their kids to celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving, because "that's American, and you're not American".

Of all the dangers this nation faces - I do believe this is the greatest. Loss of identity.

Reagan wasn't saying everyone can come here at any time of their own choosing. He was saying if you want to become American, race or DNA or religion or all that isn't going to be a problem. You can't "become" Japanese but you can become an American if you embrace what America IS.

And I don't think a lot of these voices are embracing America at all. Heck, we had a town trying to forbid saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

LOL If you weren't born in St. Mary's County you will always be a furriner.

What meaning did I post or ellude to in this thread?
I formed an opinion that this was a continuation of your stance we do not need to secure our borders and were using this statement to imply Reagan agreed. But you know that based on my questions which requested elaboration of your thought process.

Since you didn't truly need me to tell you that, I'm now of the opinion you asked this particular question to make another point.

Chris0nllyn

I formed an opinion that this was a continuation of your stance we do not need to secure our borders and were using this statement to imply Reagan agreed. But you know that based on my questions which requested elaboration of your thought process.

Since you didn't truly need me to tell you that, I'm now of the opinion you asked this particular question to make another point.

When did I say we shouldn't secure our border? That's a real question and I'd love for someone to point it out.

You're right though. I originally posted it because I just came across it and thought it was a nice speech by a President who has the ability to harness and use the English language effectively. Then I sat back as yourself, and others with preconceived notions not based on any reality and formed, not by reading my actual posts, but in your minds because you want my replies to be something they are not. I guess the point now is to show off the people who clearly have paid no attention to the substance of my posts and only aim to be the edgiest, coolest, person on this forum.

I can't think of another reason a group of presuambly educated adults on a discussion forum choose to ignore the actual discussion.