You forgot to cook this...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
How come it doesn't surprise me this is from California? :rolleyes:

They've been talking about high levels in mercury in these fish for years, so why target the sushi market now? I'm sure a lot more Starkist and Bumble Bee tuna is sold overall. Go after THOSE manufacturers. Better yet, find ways to reduce the mercury contamination in the water to alleviate the problem in the first place.

JollyRoger

vraiblonde said:
I don't care. I'll eat it anyway.

Me too...I love tuna. I read something a while back about mercury levels in fish. It was blamed on man and chemical plants and stuff. Then I read that they found the same levels of merc in fossils that were like thousands of years old...how can that be?...LOL

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
JollyRoger said:
Then I read that they found the same levels of merc in fossils that were like thousands of years old...how can that be?...LOL
Because media are a bunch of duhs. Every week they come out with some perfectly routine thing that's going to kill us all. Remember when grilling was supposed to cause cancer? Even though man has been grilling meat since fire was invented?

Scientists get paid to "discover" things - doesn't matter if they're true or not. And if they so much as release a theory that hasn't been remotely studied, let alone proven, the media are all over it like it's the Holy Grail because they need a story.

JollyRoger

I hate to do this but!

vraiblonde said:
Because media are a bunch of duhs. Every week they come out with some perfectly routine thing that's going to kill us all. Remember when grilling was supposed to cause cancer? Even though man has been grilling meat since fire was invented?

Scientists get paid to "discover" things - doesn't matter if they're true or not. And if they so much as release a theory that hasn't been remotely studied, let alone proven, the media are all over it like it's the Holy Grail because they need a story.

First, fire was not invented....like electricity it was discovered.

Second. sorry about the rant.

Bushy23

Unfortunately, there is mercury in all seafood. Mercury pollution has reached all of our waters. The levels they found in the sushii are actually BELOW the federal limit of 1.0 ppm. Canada has a limit of .50 ppm for all fish sold up there. So if you are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant, I would limit the amount of seafood you eat. Stick with the light tuna and avoid fish like swordfish that are top of the food chain. If you want to learn more, check this out(registration required):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/broadband/chi-mercury-htmlstory,0,3799369.htmlstory

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bushy23 said:
So if you are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant, I would limit the amount of seafood you eat.
Right. Because there's this huge epidemic of babies being born with some terrible defects caused by eating seafood.

Fish: it's the new thalidomide.

:rolleyes:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Hey. You only live until you die. If you like sushi, enjoy it. If you like grilled food, have at it. If you want butter, high fat content, big steaks, fries cooked in lard (the best), fried food in coconut oil, go for it.

You have to die of something and old age isn't what it is cracked up to be; aches and pains in places you didn't know could have aches and pains.

Love God. Love your family. Love your friends. Enjoy all food and drink in moderation. Live life. Dieing is as natural as being born.