You Pig!

NextJen

Raisin cane
I say why not? If I or a loved one were on a waiting list for a heart transplant and this was a viable option, I don’t think I’d have a problem with it.
I’ll have to look it up, but I think I remember heart valves from pigs already being used for replacements in humans (I could be wrong).

HemiHauler

Unfortunately he’s not kosher any longer and he can’t be eaten by Moslems. And I wonder if he’ll be able to bring himself to eat bacon moving forward.

Clem72

I thought they used pig valves because they could be denatured (or whatever the appropriate term is) such that your body is less likely to identify them as foreign and you don't need to be on anti-rejection drugs.

I know I had read about them doing a similar thing with hearts, basically dissolved a majority of the tissue leaving a "scaffolding" of cells that new heart cells can be grown on, but that would be a much bigger story. So I assume this operation would require this person to use a LOT of immunosuppressant drugs and the organ will likely still fail in a couple of years.

HemiHauler

I thought they used pig valves because they could be denatured (or whatever the appropriate term is) such that your body is less likely to identify them as foreign and you don't need to be on anti-rejection drugs.

I know I had read about them doing a similar thing with hearts, basically dissolved a majority of the tissue leaving a "scaffolding" of cells that new heart cells can be grown on, but that would be a much bigger story. So I assume this operation would require this person to use a LOT of immunosuppressant drugs and the organ will likely still fail in a couple of years.

No immunosuppressants are required. The pig has been genetically modified such that a protein which has been problematic previously had been removed.

He won’t live long. Pigs don’t really live all that long. This just gives him a few (ostensibly) good years and brings the doctors and researchers involved lots of fame.

Clem72

No immunosuppressants are required. The pig has been genetically modified such that a protein which has been problematic previously had been removed.

He won’t live long. Pigs don’t really live all that long. This just gives him a few (ostensibly) good years and brings the doctors and researchers involved lots of fame.

I just read a separate article that had more information. That genetic modification made it possible in the first place, but it actually requires MORE immunosuppressants, not less.

Dr Christine Lau, chair of the Department of Surgery at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, was in the operating theatre during the surgery.

"He's at more of a risk because we require more immunosuppression, slightly different than we would normally do in a human-to-human transplant. How well the patient does from now is, you know, it's never been done before so we really don't know," she told the BBC.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I say why not? If I or a loved one were on a waiting list for a heart transplant and this was a viable option, I don’t think I’d have a problem with it.
I’ll have to look it up, but I think I remember heart valves from pigs already being used for replacements in humans (I could be wrong).

See, and I'm good with death. My mom says she is too, so we're in agreement in case I ever have to make medical decisions for her.

Medical experimentation creeps me out. These weird Mengele/Moreau doctors transplanting and mixing species - ack. But if other people are willing, more power to 'em.

dave20

I'm still waiting for them to get the three legged chicken figured out so we can have an extra drumbstick. They've been talking about it for years.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm still waiting for them to get the three legged chicken figured out so we can have an extra drumbstick. They've been talking about it for years.
Obviously you haven’t seen recent developments with the Centichicken.