Young people, unique summer employment opportunity

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If you are a young person looking for something different for summer employment or you know someone that is looking, here's an amazing summer employment option. Work in a National Park.

I did this a few years ago. They even hire seasoned, seasonal workers. Most of the workforce is college aged kids, school teachers that have the summers off & retirees. The rest are foreigners that get 120 day, J1 visas that allow them to work. I did it in Yellowstone National Park. Grand Canyon, Glacier NP, Death Valley NP, Mt Rushmore, Zion NP & Rocky Mt NP. I'm sure other areas have similar programs but I can't comment on those places.

I'll detail YNP employment opportunites since that is what I'm familiar with.

YNP hires 3,300 seasonal workers for April through October. Each employee makes their own deal as far as lenght of service. I knew a guy that just went out for 3 weeks of work. They like to get you there for as long as they can. The average is between 3 & 4 months long. Nobody commutes to work. Everyone is given a dorm room or a site in the campground. Employees are provided 3 meals a day. Snacks and beverages are available all day long. All food must be eaten in the dining room, just covered liquids can be taken out.

Most of the jobs are in the hospitality field. Food service and maid service are 2 of the bigger departments. They have a few unique jobs like horse wrangler and fishing guide but there are only a handful of those jobs available. They have a lot of behind the scenes people like office workers and laundry help.

Employees get discounts throughout the park. Things in the giftshops are pricey. There is an employee recreation program for any employee in the park regardless of which concessionaire they work for. They have a softball league and the rec people organize hikes and campouts all the time. You can rent boats & go horseback riding on your days off. Many employees that have the same days off get together and go exploring. The company has a few 15 passenger vans that they use to shuttle employees to the border towns so they can go shopping.

The food is decent and plentiful. It's all you can eat. I've seen people eat 3 steaks. Lunch and dinner has a vegetarian option. There's always a sandwich and salad bar at lunch and dinner. Box lunches are an option for people's days off when they won't be close to the dining room. They have employee run pubs for evening entertainment. Making a purchase you have to show your ID and those under 21 have a different color ID background so they won't be served.

Most of the jobs are uninteresting. It's the same thing every day. Make beds, cook food, ring up customers. The companies don't sell the job, they sell living and working in the park. Turn over is probably higher than the industry standard. Management realizes this and they are constantly getting in a new supply of employees. A few employees quit within the first 2 weeks. Many of the younger people are away from home for the first time in their lives. Some this is their first paying job. Some struggle to understand how the washer machine works or how important it is to show up for work on time.

The J1 workers are fascinating. They come from all over the world. They are hard workers for the most part. They stay in their little groups and don't interact much with the other employees. They are required to speak English but always speak their mother tongue amongst themselves. I think that many of them are from the upper middle class in their home countries. They are educated and they had to purchase a plane ticket before they got their first paycheck. Street people aren't going to be able to swing that.

There is a medical clinic in the park for employees. The park is broken up into 8 distinct areas. Each area has a different opening and closing date. A few of the areas are open all year. A lot of the employees take 1 job but after arriving request to move to a better suited position. Many employees thing everyone else has an easier job. Most jobs don't require any experience. There is a day of training then it's off to work. The restaurants do a shake down day before they open. The other employees eat in the restaurant, selecting off of the menu. The only charge to the eating employee is for any alcohol they order and a tip if they leave one.

In YNP it gets cold at night, even in the summer. We had snow on May 28th. If you spent any time in the woods you will encounter wildlife. I ran into my share of bison and elk. I always carried bear spray that shoots a stream of pepper spray 30 feet. I never had to use it. YNP has some stunning scenery. While I forget my days on the job, those memories of the experiences and view stay with you for life.

Xanterra jobs

Delaware North jobs

YPSS jobs

MedCor jobs

Old Faithful

Lake Yellowstone at sunrise

Late May blizzard

BernieP

Resident PIA
a few years ago? and how do you measure years?

The food is decent and plentiful. It's all you can eat. I've seen people eat 3 steaks. ? BS flag :)

Monello

PREMO Member
a few years ago? and how do you measure years?

The food is decent and plentiful. It's all you can eat. I've seen people eat 3 steaks. ? BS flag :)
I'm not sure I understand your questions but here goes. 1 Year = 52 weeks = 12 months = 365 days.

3 steaks. Get in line and get 1 steak. Eat said steak. Get back in line for another steak. Person serving doesn't track who already was served. Get served 2nd steak, eat then repeat the first step.

Monello

PREMO Member
Kids don't want to work these days. They want to game the day away, and wait for mommy to put dinner on the table.

That's why the J1 kids are so popular. They come in and bust ass. Great workers and they don't complain.

FWIW, My grandmother was a Stewart from Glasgow.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm not sure I understand your questions but here goes. 1 Year = 52 weeks = 12 months = 365 days.

3 steaks. Get in line and get 1 steak. Eat said steak. Get back in line for another steak. Person serving doesn't track who already was served. Get served 2nd steak, eat then repeat the first step.
I was suggesting that it was more than a few years ago and that your fond rememberance of the food may be a little off.
I've never really had good institutional food, and steak, LOL. Maybe "chopped" steak, or tube steak.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I were only a few decades younger!

It's never too late. They are absolutely looking for adult workampers, plus you get a better job because you have skills.

A friend of mine was an unemployed electrician - still is as far as I'm aware - and it happened that Grand Canyon was desperate for a senior electrician to live in the park. I sent him a link to their job listing and he was like....meh...uh...erm... So I'm guessing he liked being unemployed more than he would like living at the Grand Canyon and making damn good money.

I don't really understand people.

limblips

PREMO Member
It's never too late. They are absolutely looking for adult workampers, plus you get a better job because you have skills.

A friend of mine was an unemployed electrician - still is as far as I'm aware - and it happened that Grand Canyon was desperate for a senior electrician to live in the park. I sent him a link to their job listing and he was like....meh...uh...erm... So I'm guessing he liked being unemployed more than he would like living at the Grand Canyon and making damn good money.

I don't really understand people.
Not as physically able to do things like I used to and the wife would make me go alone. It would be impossible to separate her from the G-kids.

officeguy

There are also plenty of seasonal jobs with the park service itself. Work the information desk, interpretive tours to road maintenance and wildland fire protection.

Monello

PREMO Member
There are also plenty of seasonal jobs with the park service itself. Work the information desk, interpretive tours to road maintenance and wildland fire protection.

1 concessionair in 1 NP hires 3,300 workers for the season. The chances of getting a job you want is very good. Plus with the park service you often have to find your own housing.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
My parents do this at a park in Arizona. They're in their 70's and mom uses a walker, but they always have things for them even if it's just the welcome wagon.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Kids don't want to work these days. They want to game the day away, and wait for mommy to put dinner on the table.
Step son is almost 17. We've been strongly encouraging him to get a job since he turned 16, 10 months ago. Nope. He was warned if he didn't get going he'd be without a cell phone soon.

Well, he now has a very nice looking paperweight that looks just like a Samsung Galaxy S7.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Step son is almost 17. We've been strongly encouraging him to get a job since he turned 16, 10 months ago. Nope. He was warned if he didn't get going he'd be without a cell phone soon.

Well, he now has a very nice looking paperweight that looks just like a Samsung Galaxy S7.
Good for you.

Too many parents make the threat and never follow through.

officeguy

1 concessionair in 1 NP hires 3,300 workers for the season. The chances of getting a job you want is very good. Plus with the park service you often have to find your own housing.

Sure, its a different kind of deal. NPS jobs are pretty much for the entire season. But then, you are not working as a maid or busboy.

Monello

PREMO Member
Sure, its a different kind of deal. NPS jobs are pretty much for the entire season. But then, you are not working as a maid or busboy.

In the museum in Mammoth, there is a picture of Gerald Ford back when he was a park employee. 1 of his jobs was taking the trash to the dump. Where the local bears would come daily to scrounge through the trash.

2013-09-sep-16-015-blog-gerald-ford-as-ranger.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Oh to be his age and know what I know now. There are so many cool things to do and be in this country.