Your Input! Clinicians

devinej

Hey SOMD horse people,

I am working on getting some clinics running in St. Mary's co. i would love to have your input on who you'd like to ride with or audit. open to all disciplines!

Venue has outdoor, indoor coverall and jumps.

Some ideas are:
Steuart Pittman
Kenny Krome
Nicky Vogel
Tracy Bartko Magness

highnote

Pittman would be my first choice out of the names given. Tracy Bartko Magness second choice. Above all these clinics would have to be affordable. We can come up with lots of great names, but if it's going to be overly expensive, even the people who want to come might not be able to.

Also think about widening to some other disciplines or types of clinics. There's ton of natural horsemanship clinicians that would be great.

It would be great to have some breed inspections in this area too!

Another idea is open schooling days. Instead of paying a monthly rate for facility use, have one or two days a month that are "open schooling" for $20 per horse, for example. Those one or two days could bring in more $ than all the "monthly subscribers".

Robin

Pittman would be my first choice out of the names given. Tracy Bartko Magness second choice. Above all these clinics would have to be affordable. We can come up with lots of great names, but if it's going to be overly expensive, even the people who want to come might not be able to.

Also think about widening to some other disciplines or types of clinics. There's ton of natural horsemanship clinicians that would be great.

It would be great to have some breed inspections in this area too!

Another idea is open schooling days. Instead of paying a monthly rate for facility use, have one or two days a month that are "open schooling" for $20 per horse, for example. Those one or two days could bring in more $ than all the "monthly subscribers".

All these sound good.

as far as open schooling days what some do not understand is the price extra for insurance to cover outsiders using a facility. Insurance covering an event boosts the price up along with the price the individual charges to come to a given barn to put on a clinic.

minimum is around 200-250 per day for insurance, although it sounds good to someone wanting these things, prices have gone up.

Good Luck Devine.

The bomb proofing clinic did well.

highnote

as far as open schooling days what some do not understand is the price extra for insurance to cover outsiders using a facility. Insurance covering an event boosts the price up along with the price the individual charges to come to a given barn to put on a clinic.

I expect the facility should already have this insurance, because they already allow outsiders to come and school when paying a monthly fee. I was just suggesting that instead of requiring a monthly commitment, add a day or two where non-subscribing riders to pay a lower rate for one day (rather than having to pay for the entire month).

ponyupmom

I would love for Pittman to come also, but it would be even better if we had some x-country questions at Woodbury. As a boarder at said facility i would rather see clinics than random users showing up at different times. Even with a huge indoor like Woodbury's its best if there are only 4 or 5 horses going at one time especially with jumping or lunging. And having a lesson is hard if there are more than a few horses doing different things. Maybe with lights in the outdoor it would help with any conflicts. Clinics on weekends are easier because you can do them during day light hours.

Robin

I expect the facility should already have this insurance, because they already allow outsiders to come and school when paying a monthly fee. I was just suggesting that instead of requiring a monthly commitment, add a day or two where non-subscribing riders to pay a lower rate for one day (rather than having to pay for the entire month).

Most farms that carry insurance are usually able to hold 2-3 events under their policy. When it is a Special event or show series, it usually is aan added fee.
They allow outsiders to school for a fee along with liabilty/paperwork on file.This will be covered under ins policies. Make sure you check for availability for a single daily use.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I would love for Pittman to come also, but it would be even better if we had some x-country questions at Woodbury. As a boarder at said facility i would rather see clinics than random users showing up at different times. Even with a huge indoor like Woodbury's its best if there are only 4 or 5 horses going at one time especially with jumping or lunging. And having a lesson is hard if there are more than a few horses doing different things. Maybe with lights in the outdoor it would help with any conflicts. Clinics on weekends are easier because you can do them during day light hours.

Are they getting lights soon?

I am probably going to go over there and school occasionally. I need to get the running lights on my trailer fixed fisrt before driving at night.

Duckz

Two thoughts from reading the posts:

First, I think Robin mentioned the bomb-proofing clinic. I did one at AMIT a few years back and it was awesome! Very very popular too. There were at least 15-20 horses in the ring per session. I would definitely sign up for that one! Forgot the guy's name though, maybe Bobby remembers.

Second, would you be able to set up an outside course for the clinic with Steuart? Even if there weren't any cross country type fences, you could get creative with poles and standards in a field. I remember a "ditch" jump that was a piece of plywood between two poles on the ground.

I'm looking forward to your clinics! You can count on me and Lincoln to show up :huggy:

devinej

thanks for the input everybody!

And to clear things up, this is Woodbury Equestrian Center, formerly Holly Point.

As for outdoor lights, definitely would like to put those in, but don't have a time frame.

As for schooling days: For $25 you can ride and use wash/groom area. We require proof of neg. coggins and most recent veterinary records on file. Advanced notice of when you will show up much appreciated, as there are lessons in the evening that may get pretty crowded if everyone shows up at once.

Robin is right about the insurance.

Cross country questions would be great. i dont want to plan a xc clinic during the winter months expecially with all this rain we've been getting. I'd rather stick with something we could hold in the indoor. but will keep xc stuff in mind for the warmer (and hopefully a little dryer) months.

Working on a website!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Well, I'm partial to both of the trainers/instructors that I work with on a regular basis:

Ray Wheeler from Harwood and Vanessa Swartz from Montegomery County.

Ray is great for jumping and x-country clinics. And, he's affordable. Vanessa is a grand prix dressage rider with her Bronze, Silver, and Gold USDF medals but, comparitivly she's expensive.

I'm actually hoping to set up some more X-Country clinics with Ray at his place. He's got TONS of x-country jumps, more info on that later. :)

IntegritysDream

Well, I'm partial to both of the trainers/instructors that I work with on a regular basis:

Ray Wheeler from Harwood and Vanessa Swartz from Montegomery County.

Ray is great for jumping and x-country clinics. And, he's affordable. Vanessa is a grand prix dressage rider with her Bronze, Silver, and Gold USDF medals but, comparitivly she's expensive.

I'm actually hoping to set up some more X-Country clinics with Ray at his place. He's got TONS of x-country jumps, more info on that later. :)

i would def. be down for doing a local clinic with Vanessa and Stuart. Heard wonderful things about both and they are very qualified in experience and very positive, asa well as, you def. get your moneys worth with them. Havent heard too much about the other people.

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
thanks for the input everybody!

And to clear things up, this is Woodbury Equestrian Center, formerly Holly Point.

As for outdoor lights, definitely would like to put those in, but don't have a time frame.

As for schooling days: For $25 you can ride and use wash/groom area. We require proof of neg. coggins and most recent veterinary records on file. Advanced notice of when you will show up much appreciated, as there are lessons in the evening that may get pretty crowded if everyone shows up at once.

Robin is right about the insurance.

Cross country questions would be great. i dont want to plan a xc clinic during the winter months expecially with all this rain we've been getting. I'd rather stick with something we could hold in the indoor. but will keep xc stuff in mind for the warmer (and hopefully a little dryer) months.

Working on a website!

not to be rude.. but I am not coming back to that place till they make the turning into it situation better..

we don't have an enormous trailer but we definitely got hung up on the telephone pole stabilizer.. i know that there was some effort into making the turn wider but i don't think i want to risk it again. i think the road could be filled in a little past the driveway so that you can take the road wide and not have to worry about the pole..

i would love to come to clinics there, but its just too much stress to worry about that turn.. if someone else goes first with a larger rig we might try to follow you.. but we don't have mad trailer turning or backing up skills especially in the dark..

Robin

Trailer driving practice clinic:buddies:

You will get better over time. practice practice practice:buddies:

devinej

I agree, paintedpony, the entrance is a little tight. However, I have had no trouble getting in with a 4 horse slant gooseneck (with tack room), if you take it wide and over shoot the paved part (there's some gravel on that far side of the driveway). I don't think there are any plans to widen it in the near future.

C

campinmutt

I have a big hunker trailer and I fit in the driveway...just gotta take it slow and use all the space you can.....never be afraid to ask someone to help you !!