Your pizza sucks

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
One of my Italian friends went back to Naples to visit her family. She makes the trip a couple of times a year, but she couldn't travel until the summer. Now, they're kind of stuck -as Naples is locking them down again. Anyway, she promised to send me pics of my favorite Italian foods while she was there.

100% authentic Napolitano pizza! ❤

WheezyCarl

I have some experience trying to make crabcakes outside of Maryland, and the problem is....the lack of good crab. I'm not averse to Phillips jumbo lump in the can if that's what's available, but Texas doesn't even have that.

I have only one time had a crabcake outside of Maryland that was worth a damn, and that was at a place 2A and Sharon took us to in Sarasota area. And the owners were from - you guessed it - Maryland. I have seen many tragedies that have been labeled "Maryland style crabcake" on the menu, and turned out to be veggie burgers with Walmart Great Value canned "crabmeat".
Buy the crap crab in the blue can (from the Philippines) and use it for your crab cakes-like the restaurants in SOMD.

phreddyp

For any of you wanting to make your own pizza I recommend the book ( Pizza by the author James McNair ) he does a really good job describing how to make a bunch of different Pizza .

Bare-ya-cuda

We bought one of these Pizza ovens a few years ago and love it. They have gone up in price since then but compared to the cost building a brick oven in your backyard you can’t beat it. You can make great pizza with it

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
One of my Italian friends went back to Naples to visit her family. She makes the trip a couple of times a year, but she couldn't travel until the summer. Now, they're kind of stuck -as Naples is locking them down again. Anyway, she promised to send me pics of my favorite Italian foods while she was there.

100% authentic Napolitano pizza! ❤

View attachment 153594
Does it have anchovies?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We were stopping by Poppa Murphy's in Ashland VA on a fairly regular basis. Most amazing freshly prepared pizzas ever, wrapped and ready to go in teh oven when you get them home. Poppa Murphys are all over the Pacific Northwest area; my wife is from there and that's how I knew about them. But..sadly..they didn't make it. The store was open for barely a year. :sshrug: There are some stores farther south in VA and a ton of 'em in NC for some reason.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We bought one of these Pizza ovens a few years ago and love it. They have gone up in price since then but compared to the cost building a brick oven in your backyard you can’t beat it. You can make great pizza with it

That oven is quite large otherwise it would be Monello's Christmas present.

Most of the time we don't have trouble finding good pizza wherever we are but for some reason SPI has no good pizza. We should open a MOD franchise here and make million$$$.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Isabella's in Baltimore is the closest place to SOMD where I've had pizza that is close to the pies I use to get in Sicily. Eastern Europeans run the place.

Bare-ya-cuda

That oven is quite large otherwise it would be Monello's Christmas present.

Most of the time we don't have trouble finding good pizza wherever we are but for some reason SPI has no good pizza. We should open a MOD franchise here and make million$$$.
They have smaller ones that run on propane and another in wood pellets. We have actually been thinking about getting one of the one in the links below for our RV. The quality of the one we use at home is top notch. If you are considering keep an eye out they often have sales with significant savings.

SamSpade

The OP is just wrong.

I've had better steamers and clam chowder outside of New England.
I've had steaks far superior than the ones I had in Kansas City.
I've had hot dogs much better than the ones in Coney Island.
Had better cheesesteaks than the ones in Philly, ESPECIALLY the two big ones - Pat's and Geno's.

A really good chef can always beat the flavor of someone who's been doing it for years. I'm amazed that on
"Beat Bobby Flay" he can often beat opponents making their OWN signature dish.

The only reason the OP might say that is - because he's barely been away from NY or NJ, so he should be pitied.

I still think the best pizza I've ever had was at Victory Pig Pizza in Wyoming PA - and you can order it online.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Except that they are disgusting. :lol:
The last time I had anchovy on my pizza, they had to open up a new tin of them. Said that not many people ask for them. BTW a true Caesar salad is made with anchovies. I think a lot of people that order them are unaware of this secret ingredient. Same with Worcestershire sauce.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The last time I had anchovy on my pizza, they had to open up a new tin of them. Said that not many people ask for them. BTW a true Caesar salad is made with anchovies. I think a lot of people that order them are unaware of this secret ingredient. Same with Worcestershire sauce.
I've always ordered the anchovies on the side so I can add what I want to my pizza. Although that means they are not baked with my pizza, I prefer not to have one topping completely overtake all the others.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I am quite aware.

Last time I had anchovies on a pizza, I threw up after spitting out the first bite and couldn't eat pizza for about 4-5 months. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One thing we have learned in our travels is that many cities/states can import a signature dish from a completely different region and do it justice, but also many times the famous place is worth the shouting.

Sparky's in Hatch, NM, home of the world famous (and rightfully so) Hatch green chile cheeseburger. Although I had one at the Burger Shack in Port Isabel the other day that was a serious contender.

The best seafood chowder in the US ( and I will fight anyone who says different) is at a place called Maine Diner in Wells, ME.

But food is also about atmosphere. You can have a good cheesesteak anywhere, but having it on the Boardwalk in Seaside Heights, NJ is an experience. A giant steak at a mecca in Tusayan, AZ surrounded by oohing and aahing Japanese tourists is an experience. That green chile burger in Hatch - Sparky's is an experience. The lobster pounds in New England; the Sunset Grille at 7-mile bridge in the Keys; smoked meat spaghetti at a Montreal dive; BBQ shacks and taco trucks on the side of the road in TX; any eating or drinking in Tombstone AZ.

I don't remember eating anything remarkable in Cody, WY - the fact that you're eating it in Cody is what makes it cool. Monello and I have had a ton of memorable meals, some of them stand alone but just as many are because of the location.

luvmygdaughters

One thing we have learned in our travels is that many cities/states can import a signature dish from a completely different region and do it justice, but also many times the famous place is worth the shouting.

Sparky's in Hatch, NM, home of the world famous (and rightfully so) Hatch green chile cheeseburger. Although I had one at the Burger Shack in Port Isabel the other day that was a serious contender.

The best seafood chowder in the US ( and I will fight anyone who says different) is at a place called Maine Diner in Wells, ME.

But food is also about atmosphere. You can have a good cheesesteak anywhere, but having it on the Boardwalk in Seaside Heights, NJ is an experience. A giant steak at a mecca in Tusayan, AZ surrounded by oohing and aahing Japanese tourists is an experience. That green chile burger in Hatch - Sparky's is an experience. The lobster pounds in New England; the Sunset Grille at 7-mile bridge in the Keys; smoked meat spaghetti at a Montreal dive; BBQ shacks and taco trucks on the side of the road in TX; any eating or drinking in Tombstone AZ.

I don't remember eating anything remarkable in Cody, WY - the fact that you're eating it in Cody is what makes it cool. Monello and I have had a ton of memorable meals, some of them stand alone but just as many are because of the location.
Wait...wasnt that prize I won from Cody? It was the popcorn, I think you called it Cody Crack.