Your thoughts on Perlinos?

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
I'm going to look at a 2yr old perlino mare next weekend, for a possible trade for my 10 yr old qh. I was just wonder whats your thoughts on perlinos? I think their interesting, but i dont see many of them in the winners circle, much less one that does speed (maybe a few from Sun Frost). Is there an actual genetic reason for this? or sense they are relatively new to AQHA, they have to build their way up...

devinej

I'm going to look at a 2yr old perlino mare next weekend, for a possible trade for my 10 yr old qh. I was just wonder whats your thoughts on perlinos? I think their interesting, but i dont see many of them in the winners circle, much less one that does speed (maybe a few from Sun Frost). Is there an actual genetic reason for this? or sense they are relatively new to AQHA, they have to build their way up...

perlino is just a color, right? depends on the particular horse. its certainly a rare color, so you are probably more likely to find people breeding them for the color rather than the athletic ability and talent per se.

C

campinmutt

I do believe that the recesive genes need to get togther to get a perlino ..so I always wonder if the horse is genticly as sound as less rare color.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I do believe that the recesive genes need to get togther to get a perlino ..so I always wonder if the horse is genticly as sound as less rare color.

I don't understand what you mean. Grey is a dominant modifier to all colors so is a grey horse more genetically sound than a bay? On the opposite end chestnut (e) is recessive and two copies of it are required to have a chestnut horse.

A perlino is a bay horse with two cream genes. The cream gene is an incomplete dominant allele which means if one copy is present it will still show (unlike a recessive) but having two copies will produce what is sometimes considered a "blended" effect.

All that being said, it's just a color. I would not buy a horse based on color if you (the OP) want a horse for barrels and she's great at it but perlino, cool! If you a want a barrel horse and she's terrible but perlino, not cool.

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
perlino is just a color, right? depends on the particular horse. its certainly a rare color, so you are probably more likely to find people breeding them for the color rather than the athletic ability and talent per se.

Rare color and quality...comes up all the time with animals, cats, dogs, horses......

I say devinej is correct in saying it depends on what the main reason for breeding was, if it is JUST color and they didn't look at structure you could be in trouble if you need it. You can have rare/exotic colors and quality if the person working on the program works on all angles, it isn't easy, but it can be done.

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Hollywood White is a superb example of color on quality.. he was very successful in the reining world. Hollywood White
The reason there are not many perlino AQHA is because they were not recognized for a good long while, but they were able to fight it and get that overturned recently.
It is simply a color, just like any other color. It does not affect the performance of the horse.. the quality of the horse is the only thing that can do that! The only unfortunate thing though (like Devine said) is that people breed too much for color without the quality in mind thus produces ####ty horses.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
You build the barn then you paint it....Has some good lines...do you know her HYPP status??

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
You build the barn then you paint it....Has some good lines...do you know her HYPP status??

No, i will look on her papers/ ask when i meet up with the owner. If not, how much does it cost to get the test done? Is it done through just a regular vet? I have a horse that i want to test, shes not registered, but i know her bloodlines, which has impressive...

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
All that being said, it's just a color. I would not buy a horse based on color...

The American Cream Draft Horse is exactly as the name describes.

First, it is truly American, with roots back to a mare in central Iowa around 1905 known as “Old Granny” who was the foundation mare of this breed.

Second, it is Cream in color, which is one of the three main physical characteristics manifested by the working of the “Champagne” gene. The other two traits which are obvious in an American Cream are the pink skin and the amber colored eyes. (note: her offspring were very popular because they were so beautiful because of that unusual color.)

Third, they are a draft animal, built as those originally used to farm in the breadbasket of this country before the age of mechanization.
ACDHA - American Cream Draft Horse Assoc.

Just sayin'.....:biggrin: YOU may not have chosen her because of her color, but her entire breed registry IS based on color.

Aside from that, everything else you said was excellent Phyx - not much can be added to your post. When evaluating a performance horse (of any breed), color is icing on the cake. Paso's post is a super way to put it.

My breed has a very popular and unusual color - but not all horses of that color can do the signature gait. It's all based on structure.

Last edited:
C

campinmutt

her HYPP status will be posted on her papers.all impressive bred horses have to be tested to be registered with the AQHA....UVDavis is the lab in CA that does the test. it is $35 ...you send a hair sample...or at least you used too!have not had one in a long time.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
No, i will look on her papers/ ask when i meet up with the owner. If not, how much does it cost to get the test done? Is it done through just a regular vet? I have a horse that i want to test, shes not registered, but i know her bloodlines, which has impressive...

No you do it yourself you pull hair for DNA

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
HappyAppy- I am NOT an American Cream Draft breeder. I own one. One. I bought her INSPITE of her color. I was really hoping for a black horse. A lot easier to deal with especially when my horses tend to be BIG.

I don't know why you keep bringing her up. Yes, I own two cream and champagne horses. I also have a grey and a bay. I have no color alliance. If I could paint them another color it would be something dark.

C

campinmutt

HappyAppy- I am NOT an American Cream Draft breeder. I own one. One. I bought her INSPITE of her color. I was really hoping for a black horse. A lot easier to deal with especially when my horses tend to be BIG.

I don't know why you keep bringing her up. Yes, I own two cream and champagne horses. I also have a grey and a bay. I have no color alliance. If I could paint them another color it would be something dark.

I love your horses.although I have never met leo in person.they all have great dispositions , especially Peanut...but I bet you go through alot of quick silver to keep him shiny for the shows ! I could see where dark would be better when they are that big!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!

Phyx, I didn't say you bred Amer Creams. I pointed out that you DO own a breed that was created because of a color. YOU may not have chosen your mare specifically for her color, but the fact remains, her breed is what it is.

It also happens to be very nice despite the fact that it was originally created solely because of a color. And it is a true breed unlike the palomino or pinto registries, which are color registries and not breed specific. It's one of the few that I know of. Cleveland Bays are another.

The fact that you are so up on color genetics also proves that you are very interested in color, personal preferences aside. Nothing wrong with adding that to your list of breeding requirements, I do too, as do most people who breed or buy. I am not a color breeder, but I do like icing on the cake if i can get it. I didn't LOOK for a buckskin stud, I looked for a GOOD stud, and he happened to be buckskin. Icing on the cake! I suspect thats how you started to feel once you decided to buy her and looked into the genetic possibilities of the color. That's exactly what i did with all 3 of my studs.

Is your Amer Cream in foal to Peanut? And I forget, is she champagne and cream? Or double for either dilute? Is color testing is a requirement for breed registration?

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I don't understand what you mean. Grey is a dominant modifier to all colors so is a grey horse more genetically sound than a bay? On the opposite end chestnut (e) is recessive and two copies of it are required to have a chestnut horse.

A perlino is a bay horse with two cream genes. The cream gene is an incomplete dominant allele which means if one copy is present it will still show (unlike a recessive) but having two copies will produce what is sometimes considered a "blended" effect.

All that being said, it's just a color. I would not buy a horse based on color if you (the OP) want a horse for barrels and she's great at it but perlino, cool! If you a want a barrel horse and she's terrible but perlino, not cool.

:lmao::yeahthat: