Your xxxxxxx MEMBERSHIP has expired!

SamSpade

I don't just get these DAILY. Sometimes, HOURLY. And sometimes they're almost convincing.

You know, it's one thing to run email scams, and I tend to be, let the buyer beware. But this if acted upon is outright theft. How hard would it be for the powers that be to shut these bass turds down?

Clem72

I don't just get these DAILY. Sometimes, HOURLY. And sometimes they're almost convincing.

You know, it's one thing to run email scams, and I tend to be, let the buyer beware. But this if acted upon is outright theft. How hard would it be for the powers that be to shut these bass turds down?
As easy as not letting companies like car dealerships (or the MVA) sell your information to 3rd parties. How else do I start getting car warranty emails and mails with my full name and the exact car model I just bought and registered a week prior??? All these companies employ full-time psychics?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How hard would it be for the powers that be to shut these bass turds down?

Honestly if the FBI or whatever completely eradicated email scammers, dumb people would just find another way to be taken. I get those emails all the time - delete delete delete. And most of the time they go straight to trash without me even seeing them. They are so obviously scams I think anyone who falls for it deserves to be scammed.

I'd be more inclined to put a stop to those scam TV ads preying on dumb people to "sponsor" a child/Holocaust survivor/animal/etc. Those are nothing but scams and so obvious it's just like....why?? The FCC could easily shut those down, but they don't. Maybe they, like me, think that stupid should hurt and if people are going to be dumb someone should be able to make money off them. And the only reason I care is because they're intrusive and offensive while I'm trying to watch a show.

Instead of going after the scammer, we should go after the dipshits who fall for it. If it weren't for them, these people would dry up and stop bothering everyone.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
A 'smart' person would stand up and say, "I'm not promoting anything. I just want you to send me money for no reason at all."

And people would be dumb enough to send them money.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

Because they're selling them sevices too. Phone, internet...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A 'smart' person would stand up and say, "I'm not promoting anything. I just want you to send me money for no reason at all."

And people would be dumb enough to send them money.

B/Millionaire politicians do it all the time. "I'm worth $2.4 billion; you make $60k a year. Give me money so I can fight for you!" It's like, fund your own ****ing campaign, douchenozzle.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Honestly if the FBI or whatever completely eradicated email scammers, dumb people would just find another way to be taken. I get those emails all the time - delete delete delete. And most of the time they go straight to trash without me even seeing them. They are so obviously scams I think anyone who falls for it deserves to be scammed.

I'd be more inclined to put a stop to those scam TV ads preying on dumb people to "sponsor" a child/Holocaust survivor/animal/etc. Those are nothing but scams and so obvious it's just like....why?? The FCC could easily shut those down, but they don't. Maybe they, like me, think that stupid should hurt and if people are going to be dumb someone should be able to make money off them. And the only reason I care is because they're intrusive and offensive while I'm trying to watch a show.

Instead of going after the scammer, we should go after the dipshits who fall for it. If it weren't for them, these people would dry up and stop bothering everyone.
And the Facebook crap with the pathetic picture that won't get a single like, not from me you won't

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And the Facebook crap with the pathetic picture that won't get a single like, not from me you won't

How many Holocaust survivors can there be left? It ended 80 years ago. And in the "former Soviet Union" - what, you mean like....Ukraine? You want me to send MORE freaking money to Ukraine???

I just feel like anyone with a lick of common sense should be able to see through these schemes, and yet they don't. It's like an old lady living on SS and eating cat food sending some billionaire televangelist money so she can go to Heaven. WTF??

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
How many Holocaust survivors can there be left? It ended 80 years ago. And in the "former Soviet Union" - what, you mean like....Ukraine? You want me to send MORE freaking money to Ukraine???

I just feel like anyone with a lick of common sense should be able to see through these schemes, and yet they don't. It's like an old lady living on SS and eating cat food sending some billionaire televangelist money so she can go to Heaven. WTF??
Didn't another 200M just go out the door yesterday?

SamSpade

I get that it's stupid - and most of the time, EASILY dodged. I get emails all the time with anything from Prime to Netflix to McAfee to Microsoft - anything I MIGHT have or still subscribe to - and there's like dashes in the middle of the name. Like I really believe this actually came from "Micro-soft".

What I don't get is - how do they get away with it? If I went door to door claiming to be from from an actual vendor when I was totally lying - I'd get my ass handed to me. Or I should.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What I don't get is - how do they get away with it?

Uneducated Users ..... or people NOT paying attention - as you mentioned some emails look really good, most are easily identified and are easy to avoid ....

I deal with this daily .... looking at emails submitted to the Help Desk as ' Phish Alerts '

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I get that it's stupid - and most of the time, EASILY dodged. I get emails all the time with anything from Prime to Netflix to McAfee to Microsoft - anything I MIGHT have or still subscribe to - and there's like dashes in the middle of the name. Like I really believe this actually came from "Micro-soft".

What I don't get is - how do they get away with it? If I went door to door claiming to be from from an actual vendor when I was totally lying - I'd get my ass handed to me. Or I should.
I get it from Macafee all of the time, "your subscription expires in 2 days and your computer will be unprotected, your subscription expires in 1 days and your computer will be unprotected, your subscription expires in today and your computer will be unprotected", and then a week later "your subscription expires in 2 days and your computer will be unprotected, your subscription expires in 1 days and your computer will be unprotected, your subscription expires today and your computer will be unprotected" and on and on and on...

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Most email clients are self-learning. If you constantly get an email in your Inbox that's obviously spam, select the email (without opening it) and click on 'mark as spam'. In a few iterations, it will start going directly to your spam folder. Then every so often, check the contents of the spam folder to make sure something real didn't get stuffed in there, and empty the folder.

My email will eventually learn to not even bother putting in the spam folder, but just make it go away and I never see it.

SamSpade

I get it from Macafee all of the time, "your subscription expires in 2 days and your computer will be unprotected, your subscription expires in 1 days and your computer will be unprotected, your subscription expires in today and your computer will be unprotected", and then a week later "your subscription expires in 2 days and your computer will be unprotected, your subscription expires in 1 days and your computer will be unprotected, your subscription expires today and your computer will be unprotected" and on and on and on...
I guess that - is what I am getting at. When you claim to say, offer a great new product that will protect your computer - well, you click on it, you're infected, screwed - that's one thing.

But if you're a crook and claim to be McAfee - you SHOULD be prosecutable.

Yeah, I get those "expired" crap things all the time. I usually ignore them all because the app itself will tell me.

phreddyp

I almost never get crap like that, but I have two email accounts one that is used for everyday transactions, and one used only for trusted entities. Had the same thing with my business a crap bank account that I would deposit checks into then a different account that I would use for everyday checking. I'm pretty sure I save quite a few overdraft charges.

SamSpade

I almost never get crap like that, but I have two email accounts one that is used for everyday transactions, and one used only for trusted entities. Had the same thing with my business a crap bank account that I would deposit checks into then a different account that I would use for everyday checking. I'm pretty sure I save quite a few overdraft charges.
I used to do that a lot - use fake email accounts to redirect unwanted mail to an account I won't use - but I did it a bit much.