Yumi Cooks! Episode 4: Kimchi

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Kimchi is also excellent for gut health as it is essentially alive and contains many probiotics which improve the digestive process. Likewise, you can also use sauerkraut for the same purpose. Both are super low in calories too. (Not medical advice, research for more facts)

stgislander

PREMO Member
I love both and we make our own sauerkraut. We've been meaning to make an attempt at kimchi as well. Maybe this year.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
we make our own sauerkraut
I buy the kind in the plastic pouches, but I would really like to get some that has been fermented longer and is darker in color and doesn't taste so bitter. I lucked out with a jar a few weeks ago (lid was so tight I had to punch a hole in it to get it open). The stuff in the store is always so white and IMO doesn't taste as good. Any ideas?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Make you own. It's not hard. A #2 crock, 4-5 heads of cabbage, and some salt. It helps to have a cool place to let it ferment, but we left ours in the kitchen. We filled two #2 crocks in mid-November and canned about 18 quarts it on New Years Day. The wife took some directly out of the crock and put it in the roasting pan with the pork roast.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I buy the kind in the plastic pouches, but I would really like to get some that has been fermented longer and is darker in color and doesn't taste so bitter. I lucked out with a jar a few weeks ago (lid was so tight I had to punch a hole in it to get it open). The stuff in the store is always so white and IMO doesn't taste as good. Any ideas?
Get one that has cabbage, water and salt as the only ingredient. Put it in a mason jar and add a weight to keep it under the liquid (my weight is a glass paper weight I found at the flea market). Let it ferment to the point that you like. If the kraut contains bha or bht it won't ferment any further. If you want to make it completely homemade the recipe is easy, one medium head of cabbage (5-6" diameter) and 3tbsp kosher salt. Shave the cabbage down to about the thickness of a dime and mash it into the jar sprinkling it with the salt, it will release all of the liquid it needs. As long as the cabbage stays under the liquid it's fine. Let it sit in a cool room for 3-6 weeks until it's pickeled enough for you. Refrigerate it after that because it will keep getting stronger.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When I was married to my first husband an Army buddy of his had a Korean wife who made kimchi old school, in a mason jar buried in the yard for a few months.

That chit was excellent and spoiled me for the commercially made stuff. So spicy it would burn your face off, but gave you that endorphin high that becomes addictive.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I just returned from another work stretch in South Korea....got my kimchi fix. I'm particularly fond of the very spicy varieties...nice angry red color throughout.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I had some cucumber kimchi that was pretty good. I prefer the leafy part and don't care for the rib portion of the cabbage. I'd like to find a jar that is just the dark green parts that I like.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We are fortunate to find farmer's markets around the country with people selling homemade kimchi and kraut. This one lady in Bisbee had a dill sauerkraut that was amazing.

@David try the hippie stores with organic this and that. The one in Ltown usually has some pretty good products.