Zoom or Skype machine

SamSpade

I realize I am spitballing ideas here, but in the past few days, there's been a need - as I am guessing for many of us - to teleconference. When it is just ME, it's easy - I get on my work laptop and run it - it has built-in sound and video and connecting is easy.

But now it includes my kids and they sometimes need to do it at the same time - and I am considering a way to set up machines for them to do them more often. Biggest problem for videoconferencing is - video.

Ok, my idea - find a compact way to get a monitor with a camera and sound and slap a small minicomputer on the back that can run Zoom? (Zoom for the moment is far and away the preferred host software). What do you think? Too much?

We are about the most wired family I know - every one of my kids has a desktop, tablet, laptop. And I am not entirely sure such a setup would be just for them - I think it would be great if we could do it as a family, also. Is there a simple way to set this up to, say, the family room TV?

Just - as I said - spitballing. Trying to come up with an idea. I'm getting a little stir crazy here.

If you don't mind using your laptop, add an external mike (to be placed near the participants) and run an HDMI cable from the laptop to the large screen tv. No change in your procedure.

SamSpade

If you don't mind using your laptop, add an external mike (to be placed near the participants) and run an HDMI cable from the laptop to the large screen tv. No change in your procedure.
I don't think I mind - I'd just like something more permanent rather than jerry-rigged. Something LIKE that is how we've watched educational videos that were online and we watched as a family.

I just have this gut feeling that video-chat is going to become a bigger force in all our lives.