Child Support

usagent

My daughter turned 18 a few months ago and I stopped sending the child support check. Today my Ex contacted me and asked where her check was. She said in N.Y. I'm required to pay child support until my daughter gets full time work. My daughter lives in an apartment with her boyfriend and has a child of her own. I told my daughter I'd help her financially but I wold not send her mother anymore child support. Anyone know N.Y. law? or have I inserted my foot :jameo:

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
usagent said:
My daughter turned 18 a few months ago and I stopped sending the child support check. Today my Ex contacted me and asked where her check was. She said in N.Y. I'm required to pay child support until my daughter gets full time work. My daughter lives in an apartment with her boyfriend and has a child of her own. I told my daughter I'd help her financially but I wold not send her mother anymore child support. Anyone know N.Y. law? or have I inserted my foot :jameo:
Read your divorce papers.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Child support stops when a child reaches the age of 21 or is earlier emancipated. In New York, a child is emancipated when he or she marries, joins the armed services, living on his or her own and working full time. The non-custodial parent must make an application for the termination of child support upon the emancipation of the child.
:shrug:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
hotmomma said:
does that mean he has to pay if she is living with bf but not working? i think if you have a kid of your own that should mean you are emancipated
Mine says 18 or married.
He could possibly go to court and end the support early and give the money to a lawyer instead of his ex wife, either way the guy pays

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
hotmomma said:
I wonder if my dad had a "no more child support party" on my 18th :party: :getdown:

Probably not a party,just other things do with XXX.00 dollars a month.
Probably bought a Harley :whistle:

Geek

Ha_Satan said:
Seeing as how I'm "The Challenger," the angel of temptation, who do you think talked them into that line of work?

Is your screen name laughing at Satan or are you Satan?

girl130fe

My son turned 18 in May. I also was divorced in NY. My ex had the papers drawn up but imagine his surprise when June came around and he still owed child support. We believe NY is one of the only states that requires support for a child until that child reaches age 21 or is otherwise emancipated, (married, moved out of the home, etc.). Some decrees will specify 18 or whatever age you agree on, but the standard in NY is 21. So check your decree and see if you are bound by that, but if she lives away from her mother, then you don't owe because by living with her boyfriend, she is emancipated. Good luck. :coffee:

AndyMarquisLIVE

usagent said:
Go to court, explain to the judge that you would send a check to your daughter each month but you will not send money to your wife, because you know your daughter isn't going to see any of what you send in C/S.