Child Support

sccrmommy

I'm from NY, and once you have a child of your own you emancipate yourself from your parents, therefore no more child support!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That takes a hell of a lot of nerve for some woman to want child support for a "child" that doesn't even live with her.

I think you should have stopped paying the minute your daughter got her own place.

MMDad said:
Ding...ding...ding

I do believe your finding is true. I know a woman who hid the fact that her daughter moved out and married at the age of 17 just so she could keep getting the check from her ex.

usagent

Thank's everyone

My divorce decree (from1990) Just calls out the amount of child support by the Child Support Standards Act, and talks about me keeping medical coverage on her. It doesnt say what age it continues until. Not real clear. I just assumed because she was 18, had a baby, and didnt live at home but with her boyfriend, she was no longer a child and therefore her mom should not get anymore money. I researched the NY laws and their not very clear either. So do I break weak and send Mom her slush fund or potentially await legal action. In 18 years I've never even been late with a payment much less misssed one :war:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
If you're paying Mom directly, I'd quit paying and await court action.
Just make sure you can prove you daughter is living elswhere. Tell daughter you'll pay a couple of her utility bills if they're in her name and keep copies.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
usagent said:
My divorce decree (from1990) Just calls out the amount of child support by the Child Support Standards Act, and talks about me keeping medical coverage on her. It doesnt say what age it continues until. Not real clear. I just assumed because she was 18, had a baby, and didnt live at home but with her boyfriend, she was no longer a child and therefore her mom should not get anymore money. I researched the NY laws and their not very clear either. So do I break weak and send Mom her slush fund or potentially await legal action. In 18 years I've never even been late with a payment much less misssed one :war:
Before you risk getting in to trouble for non-payment, why don't you just contact a NY lawyer and find out definitively if you are or are not required to pay?

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
BadGirl said:
Before you risk getting in to trouble for non-payment, why don't you just contact a NY lawyer and find out definitively if you are or are not required to pay?
:yeahthat:

In the meantime, send the check to Aps so he can get those hookers he's wanting.... :yay:

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
On yeah... one more thing...

do NOT title threads "Child Support." This evil PITA named JPC will see it and decide to pipe in his opinion -- and BELIEVE ME -- YOU DO NOT WANT THAT!!! :jameo:

AndyMarquisLIVE

vraiblonde said:
That takes a hell of a lot of nerve for some woman to want child support for a "child" that doesn't even live with her.

I think you should have stopped paying the minute your daughter got her own place.
Pay her for the pain she went through in labor? :shrug:

I'd take it to court - and go after her for Child Support fraud.

I'd help the kid, and mail checks right to her ass, but mommy wants the money for lypo and a new Lexus.

Qurious

Im On 1.
this is what fathers get for NOT taking the time to be educated on the laws when it comes to child support.

Anytime you feel like you should stop paying or you think that you should stop, you ALWAYS CALL SOMEONE AT CHILD SUPPORT. Don't just assume that you should stop paying.

Wow @ the daughter being 18 and already having a child....maybe you should've stayed around.

yankee44

Have a child in N.Y. I pay support for, Got aletter a few years ago that stated support goes to 21 as long as they dont get married.

sccrmommy

I would suggest you just start sending the money to your daughter. Then you can't get in trouble for not paying. Child support is just that, to support your child...if she's not living with Mommy then you don't need to send the money there.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
sccrmommy said:
I would suggest you just start sending the money to your daughter. Then you can't get in trouble for not paying. Child support is just that, to support your child...if she's not living with Mommy then you don't need to send the money there.

I wouldn't send it to the kid if the divorce papers state to pay mom. Daughter may say it was a gift or something and then you might have to pay again.

Ha_Satan

The Challenger
Geek said:
Is your screen name laughing at Satan or are you Satan?

I'm an angel.

As I explained to 2A, "Satan" is a Hebew word, that because of grammar, means absolutely nothing without an article. "Ha" in Hebrew is an article and in this case, means "the." So, the correct word would be "Ha Satan," not "Satan."

Satan translates to... Not a damn thing.
Ha Satan translates to... The Challenger.

jenbengen

Watch it
usagent said:
My daughter turned 18 a few months ago and I stopped sending the child support check. Today my Ex contacted me and asked where her check was. She said in N.Y. I'm required to pay child support until my daughter gets full time work. My daughter lives in an apartment with her boyfriend and has a child of her own. I told my daughter I'd help her financially but I wold not send her mother anymore child support. Anyone know N.Y. law? or have I inserted my foot :jameo:

I don't have a certain answer, but I'd be really surprised if you paid "child support" for an adult. Doesn't seem normal.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Actually try as a friend of mine did. He put the money he would usually send for child support into an interest bearing savings account just in case he lost in court. Since your used to putting that money out then you can do this and if for some reason it bites you in the butt you can just cut the check for it. But I seriously doubt your gonna have to pay.