To owners of compound miter saw: sliding or not?

SeaRide

I am in the market for compound miter saw. Those sliding dual bevel ones cost quite a bit. Are you happy with non-sliding dual bevel miter saw? Dewalt / hitachi ? other brand?

I am looking at 10" and 12" dual bevel miter saws.

Tell me what can sliding ones do other than cut wide (over 16 inch wide) boards?

Let's talk.

Last edited:
I am in the market for compound miter saw. Those sliding dual bevel ones cost quite a bit. Are you happy with non-sliding dual bevel miter saw? Dewalt / hitachi ? other brand?

Tell me what can sliding ones do other than cut wide (over 16 inch wide) boards?

Let's talk.

I have a cheap model, 10" GMC, I bought at Lowes. Usually the first thing I do is lock it so it doesn't slide. All depends what you want to do with it. Most of the stuff I cut is 6" or less. That laser feature is cool. I can't believe I lived so long without one.

I have a DeWalt 12" compound, no slider. Love it, but there are many times where I want to cut a 2x6 or 2x8 and it just doesn't make it. Wish I did have the slider.

RPMDAD

True, but how often to you have to make a compound cut on a large board?Cross cuts can be handled easier by a circular saw. If you are cutting a 16 inch board chances are its too large to easily put on a compound saw.

Agree with desertrat, for large wood cross cuts are easier with a circular saw or of you have the room a table saw. Personally have a 10 - 11 year old 10" craftsman compound mitre saw non sliding and it has done about everything i have needed it to do , chair rail, moulding, crown moulding, installing hardwood floors in multiple rooms. Some of the newer compound mitre saws ( my neighbor has one) i think DeWalt, have a nice feature for cutting angle wood against the cutting base e.g. comes in very handy for crown moulding.

SeaRide

Agree with desertrat, for large wood cross cuts are easier with a circular saw or of you have the room a table saw. Personally have a 10 - 11 year old 10" craftsman compound mitre saw non sliding and it has done about everything i have needed it to do , chair rail, moulding, crown moulding, installing hardwood floors in multiple rooms. Some of the newer compound mitre saws ( my neighbor has one) i think DeWalt, have a nice feature for cutting angle wood against the cutting base e.g. comes in very handy for crown moulding.

Yes I agree. That's why I am asking if there's a reason to get a "slider" or not. I am thinking non-slider for now since I am not in heavy construction or full time carpentry business.

Yes I agree. That's why I am asking if there's a reason to get a "slider" or not. I am thinking non-slider for now since I am not in heavy construction or full time carpentry business.
I have a Delta 10" Compound non-slider. Built a deck, finished a basment, built a shed and my 2 story 15'x20' barn with it. Have yet to have a need for a slider where a jig and a circular saw would not do me fine. Save yourself a lot of money and get a good non-slider. You can always rent a slider from the tool rental place if you just HAVE to have a slider for a job.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I have a Makita sliding compound miter saw and a regular compound miter saw and I use the sliding one a lot more than the regular one. I use a lot of rough cut boards which are bigger than milled boards and need the slide to cut the extra widths. I'm on my second blade since I used the hell out of it when I was doing the finish work in my farmhouse. I love it so much I would marry it if I wasn't already married :huggy:

Vince

I have a Hitachi sliding compound and I gave my old one away. Sliding compound is the way to go, but then I do alot of woodworking/furniture making so it really comes in handy for me. Small shop so rather than set my shopsmith up with the table saw, the Hitachi really comes in handy.

I have a Hitachi sliding compound and I gave my old one away. Sliding compound is the way to go, but then I do alot of woodworking/furniture making so it really comes in handy for me. Small shop so rather than set my shopsmith up with the table saw, the Hitachi really comes in handy.

I'd like to have one set into the middle of a long bench, but no room. I always thought table saws were more precise...not the case?

Vince

I'd like to have one set into the middle of a long bench, but no room. I always thought table saws were more precise...not the case?
I'd love to mount it into my long table, but I have my scroll saw on there. This Hitachi has the laser line too. It's great and you can set the laser line on either side of the cut or in the middle. Love it. I've got to double the size of my shop. I think that will be my next major project besides remodeling the kitchen and making all new cabinets.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Whatcha...

Let's talk.

...gonna do with it for the most part? You gonna use it alot?

SeaRide

...gonna do with it for the most part? You gonna use it alot?

Build a deck
Redo the basement.
build firewood shed/barn
Rebuilt garage
Picture frames
make boxes for storage (small and large)
maybe build a cabin
make bench
picnic table
build a playhouse

too many to list

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Then...

Build a deck
Redo the basement.
build firewood shed/barn
Rebuilt garage
Picture frames
make boxes for storage (small and large)
maybe build a cabin
make bench
picnic table

too many to list

...I say a couple hundred bucks is worth it. You're gonna be using it a bunch on many different tasks and that means, sooner or later, all the extra features of a high end slider are gonna be worth it. That's my thought.

Plus, it's easier to tell people no when they wanna borrow it. Too nice to loan. :lmao:

:buddies:

SeaRide

Plus, it's easier to tell people no when they wanna borrow it. Too nice to loan. :lmao:

:buddies:

:yeahthat:

I thinkI will go for the non-slider for now. If I get into woodworking/furniture making just like my father .. well let's wait and see.

thanks everybody!

SeaRide

my 2 story 15'x20' barn

Two story barn size 15' by 20' ???
You mean it's taller than the width?
My mind is trying to picture your barn. let's say first story is 8' tall (or 10' ?) and multiply that by two story .. plus the roof which means more than what.. 20 feet tall? 24 feet tall? did I miss the thread about your barn?

I need more :coffee: because something is not making sense yet. And TGIF!!

Vince

You will be sorry you didn't spend the money and get a slider first. If you're building all that stuff, you'll be cutting some wide boards and that slider comes in very handy. You don't have to go crazy and get one with a laser line. DeWalt makes a great slider for a decent price.