Moving to SOMD

Hi everyone, I just wanted to get opinions on the best areas to live in?  Our real estate lady told us that she can't legally give us advice on nice areas, etc.  We will be working in Lexington Park, and don't really want to drive much more than 20 min. to work, if that is going to be possible, and we are looking for a house in the 150-200K range.  We don't have kids now, but may in the next few years.  We will be renting for 2-3 months before buying, but we wanted to get some real opinions.  I would appreciate any help.  Thank you very much!

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well if you are looking to buy I would try the Hollywood, or California area.  They are a little more expensive than some of the other places but its worth it.  Do not live in the heart of Lexington Park.  Its getting really bad.  Also Chancellors Run road is a nice place to live.  I live right off it.  They have new homes and townhomes.

geekboy

Yes there are too many crack heads and bums in Lexington Park, had to chase one off my back porch twice in the last month.  Stay away from the vicinity of Great Mills High School too, alot of drug dealing going on in the nearby trailor park and run down houses.  A telephone repair guy told me he has to go in some of those places there once and a while and he doesn't feel safe there.

Im moving soon myself and looking somewhere off Rt 5.  I would suggest somewhere south of the base such as Park Hall, St Marys City, St Indigos, or Ridge.  Ridge is farther than Hollywood but because there is no traffic in that direction it can be much faster than just going to Hollywood.  It took me over an hour once to get from gate 2 of the base to the Solomons bridge because of the constant construction and traffic.    

K

KaZamm1061

you Guys are scaring these people off. I live right in the heart of lexington Park and have no problems at all. It just depends ont he community you live in and by the sound of it you live in a bad "HOOD" as you would call it. All of lexington park isnt bad. I own a couple of houses down my street one which i live in and thier are no problems here except the traffic with speeders flying down my street but you get that anywhere you live.. Anyway. MOVINGSOON good luck in your search whereever you decide to move to.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As far as Lex Park is concerned:

South of the base is better than north.  Less rush hour traffic and nicer neighborhoods.  Stay away from any rental that is "based on income" or near one - they are drug havens.  Right south of the base there are a couple of apartment communities that are nice.  Any apartment complex in the heart of Lex Park will be filled with druggies and criminals.

Try The Greens or Spyglass.

geekboy

Unfortunately when I moved here I picked a nice looking apartment complex that happens to be right off Great Mills Road.  The apts themselves are nice, quiet neighbors, great management, but like I said its too close to the drunks, crackheads, and bums that hang arround Great Mills Road.  

Anyone ever drive down Great Mills Road in the middle of the night and see some dipsh*t
staggering right down the middle of the road?  Sometimes I go into work at 3-4 AM and see this, almost ran over one once.  I think he might have been coming from Rosies LOL.  

FunnyGuy

Try running one over next time and help out with the crackhead population.  Yes i will also have to agree the Lexington Park area is just scary anymore.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
I agree that most anything off of Great Mills Road is a bad idea.  Though Chancellors Run is nice right now there are still some bad spots there.  A lot of new construction going on in this area and while that means nice new townhouses, homes and communities now . . . they won't be in about ten years when all those places built so close to eachother turn over to renters.  Expect those tightly built communities to go down hill eventually.  If you are planning on having children I would focus on Hollywood or St. Mary's City.  Town Creek has some nice neighborhoods and is even closer, of course that is Great Mills High district but you can always send your kids to Ryken.  Since it sounds like you can afford it you should also check out the Breton Bay community in Leonardtown and Tall Timbers as well.  Little bit farther of a drive but definately worth it.  Much better communities as well as a lot of water-oriented property.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
There are some nice houses in the Cedar Cove neighborhood.  There are many fairly new housing complexes there.  I'm not sure about the price ranges but I'm sure you realtor can inform you on thosse details.
It is a quiet community away from the traffic and main roads of Lexington Park.  It is also very close to the base.

Good luck in your house search.  :cheesy:

Thank you all for your help!  All the information and advice is just what I was looking for.  I am excited about moving there and now I will be a bit more informed as to where we should look to buy a house.
Thanks again!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I throw in my vote for Hollywood.  Been here for 11 years and I like it.  Not to rural, but not to citified either... its just right.  :)

Christy

b*tch rocket
I live in Mechanicsville, Country Lakes to be exact (for all you stalkers out there).  I really like it.  It takes me about 25 minutes to get to work, plus I'm close enough to DC to not be real inconvenient when my job takes me up that way for meetings.  We've got a very big house on three acres, all for the grande total of $200K.  I don't see my neighbors unless I want to, so it's perfect for us.

mrs potts

I would vote for Mechanicsville!  The drive to DC or to Lexington Park isn't too bad!  You can find a mixture of old and new homes!  Good Luck!

01mds10

i live south of the base and i love it. it's more 'country' and it's quiet down here. no one really bugs you. i used to live off of chancellors run, and dealing with the traffic was no fun. there is alot of traffic down here due to the base. the houses off of chancellors run (nancy lane, green view knolls area, and stallmans) have some very nice houses.

Bucket

Some of you people like to paint with a wide brush. Not all of us are druggies or bums. I live 3 blocks from Nicolet Park. I have some good and not so good neighbors. Don't you? Moving soon is looking for house from 150-200K. Are there any homes in your "hoods" in that range? Maybe the people in the Park can't afford your hoods. Or don't want to. The druggies and bums won't leave until they are forced out by people taking care of their homes.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Bucket said:
Some of you people like to paint with a wide brush. Not all of us are druggies or bums. I live 3 blocks from Nicolet Park. I have some good and not so good neighbors. Don't you? Moving soon is looking for house from 150-200K. Are there any homes in your "hoods" in that range? Maybe the people in the Park can't afford your hoods. Or don't want to. The druggies and bums won't leave until they are forced out by people taking care of their homes.

We're just small and petty that way.

Are they really knockin' down that much for houses in that area? :yikes:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Bucket said:
The druggies and bums don't give a damn who's takin' care of their yards in their neighborhood; they just care about their wimmens out on the boulevard and that gubbment check comin' on the first to pay for dem bebes. :yay:

Bucket

Believe it or not, an uncared for home is about 85-100K. Homes that have been properly maintained are selling for 155-178K. Right now there are 10 dumpsters in this hood. People are renovating and getting homes close to work without breaking the bank to make a mortgage.