Greetings from Salt Lake City, UT!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What an interesting city! It's highly liberal here, but hippie liberal, not "let criminals run amok while we make a bunch of arbitrary and draconian laws" liberal. They do appear to have a large homeless population, all congregated in the blocks around their city mission downtown. They also have a weird law that bartenders can't pour a beer in a restaurant bar where children might see them do it. :lol: I'm not making that up - they're called "Zion curtains". The bartender takes your order, then disappears in the back where the beer taps and alcohol are to make your drink.

Oh, and today they had their annual SlutWalk, with women marching in skimpy outfits to protest...women being sexually assaulted.

Um....

But it really is a neat city. Lots of stuff to do here, tons of shopping and dining options, cute neighborhoods with their own personality, and it's easy to get around.

Today we went to the Mormon Temple, which was amazing and creepy at the same time. It is in direct contrast to the rest of the city, with eerily wholesome Mormon people milling about in an over the top environment of filthy lucre and pure excess. The visitor's centers are...unsettling. But it was very interesting, although you kind of feel like you're about to be kidnapped and brainwashed into a cult.

The residents are very friendly here, and they're a good looking bunch. It's kind of Stepford, how attractive everyone is. "Wholesome" is the word that keeps coming to mind here. Clean. Outdoorsy. Fresh. Osmond teeth. In fact, if Donny Osmond were a city, he would be Salt Lake City. It's like a Disney World Showcase attraction. The inverse of Baltimore. On one hand, I really like it; on the other hand, I'm creeped out.

It's exceedingly white here. Even the black people are white, like they were imported in from a movie set. The Mormon Temple made me laugh because all the Biblical depictions (dioramas, paintings, etc) are like - remember the Bible Stories books they used to have in doctor's offices? Like that, with all the characters decidedly caucasian, clean, and wholesome looking. Nothing to indicate that these events took place in the, you know, Middle East.

I don't want to sound negative about SLC because it really is cool here. It's the kind of city where I think I'd want to live here, but probably not really. Like I think I want to put on makeup, do my hair, and put together a great outfit every day - but in reality I'm not going to do that. Thinking I'm going to have a salad and fresh steamed veggies for dinner, but giving in to the cheeseburger and fries. In my infrequent fits of self-dissatisfaction, I think I should be the kind of person who lives in a place like Salt Lake City. And puts on a face and cute outfit every day. And eats organic steamed vegetables and quinoa for dinner.

Basically, SLC makes me feel inferior. :lol:

But again, I do like the city and we're enjoying our visit. If I came here once or twice a year on travel for a few days, I'd look forward to it. Then I'd be glad to go back to someplace more real.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh! When we go to a new place, we always ask the locals what their signature food is. What unique thing do we need to eat while we're here? In Des Moines, it was a pork tenderloin sandwich and loose meat sandwich (Maid Rite). In Rapid City, they eat chislic. In Cody, we had elk and huckleberry everything (huckleberry coffee is the BOMB). In Louisville, a Hot Brown. In West Virginia, it's a pepperoni roll.

In Utah, according to the young woman at the visitor's center and our bartender at the wing place, you eat funeral potatoes (which we have in Nebraska, and they're potluck comfort food yummy), green jello (??), and something called "fry sauce", which is a mix of mayo and ketchup and it is VILE.

I was like, wait, why green jello? The answer is: nobody knows. But it's a thing here.

Green jello. I kid you not.

The Utah state fair has a booth that serves (ready?) deep fried green jello. I am not making that up.

Last edited:

Roman

Oh! When we go to a new place, we always ask the locals what their signature food is. What unique thing do we need to eat while we're here? In Des Moines, it was a pork tenderloin sandwich and loose meat sandwich (Maid Rite). In Rapid City, they eat chislic. In Cody, we had elk and huckleberry everything (huckleberry coffee is the BOMB). In Louisville, a Hot Brown. In West Virginia, it's a pepperoni roll.

In Utah, according to the young woman at the visitor's center and our bartender at the wing place, you eat funeral potatoes (which we have in Nebraska, and they're potluck comfort food yummy), green jello (??), and something called "fry sauce", which is a mix of mayo and ketchup and it is VILE.

I was like, wait, why green jello? The answer is: nobody knows. But it's a thing here.

The Utah state fair has a booth that serves (ready?) deep fried green jello. I am not making that up.
I love reading the adventures you're taking. While reading your posts, like a book, I almost feel as though I'm there.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What an interesting city! It's highly liberal here, but hippie liberal, not "let criminals run amok while we make a bunch of arbitrary and draconian laws" liberal. They do appear to have a large homeless population, all congregated in the blocks around their city mission downtown. They also have a weird law that bartenders can't pour a beer in a restaurant bar where children might see them do it. :lol: I'm not making that up - they're called "Zion curtains". The bartender takes your order, then disappears in the back where the beer taps and alcohol are to make your drink.

Oh, and today they had their annual SlutWalk, with women marching in skimpy outfits to protest...women being sexually assaulted.

Um....

But it really is a neat city. Lots of stuff to do here, tons of shopping and dining options, cute neighborhoods with their own personality, and it's easy to get around.

Today we went to the Mormon Temple, which was amazing and creepy at the same time. It is in direct contrast to the rest of the city, with eerily wholesome Mormon people milling about in an over the top environment of filthy lucre and pure excess. The visitor's centers are...unsettling. But it was very interesting, although you kind of feel like you're about to be kidnapped and brainwashed into a cult.

The residents are very friendly here, and they're a good looking bunch. It's kind of Stepford, how attractive everyone is. "Wholesome" is the word that keeps coming to mind here. Clean. Outdoorsy. Fresh. Osmond teeth. In fact, if Donny Osmond were a city, he would be Salt Lake City. It's like a Disney World Showcase attraction. The inverse of Baltimore. On one hand, I really like it; on the other hand, I'm creeped out.

It's exceedingly white here. Even the black people are white, like they were imported in from a movie set. The Mormon Temple made me laugh because all the Biblical depictions (dioramas, paintings, etc) are like - remember the Bible Stories books they used to have in doctor's offices? Like that, with all the characters decidedly caucasian, clean, and wholesome looking. Nothing to indicate that these events took place in the, you know, Middle East.

I don't want to sound negative about SLC because it really is cool here. It's the kind of city where I think I'd want to live here, but probably not really. Like I think I want to put on makeup, do my hair, and put together a great outfit every day - but in reality I'm not going to do that. Thinking I'm going to have a salad and fresh steamed veggies for dinner, but giving in to the cheeseburger and fries. In my infrequent fits of self-dissatisfaction, I think I should be the kind of person who lives in a place like Salt Lake City. And puts on a face and cute outfit every day. And eats organic steamed vegetables and quinoa for dinner.

Basically, SLC makes me feel inferior. :lol:

But again, I do like the city and we're enjoying our visit. If I came here once or twice a year on travel for a few days, I'd look forward to it. Then I'd be glad to go back to someplace more real.

When I first started going there you couldn't get an alcoholic drink unless you joined a private club (usually the price of your first drink) and you couldn't get a double of anything.. so you went to Texas Roadhouse, joined their Private Club so you could have a beer with dinner.

You Don realize at this point that SLUT stands for Salt Lake UTah?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Downtown Salt LAKE... 10 lane roads with all of 4 cars...

The outdoor mall.. being accosted by homeless people..

People with skis standing on the side of the road waiting for the bus

Homeless riding public transportation (trains) all day to stay warm or dry.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love reading the adventures you're taking. While reading your posts, like a book, I almost feel as though I'm there.

Thank you! I enjoy writing about my travels but some of the destinations, it's difficult to capture them with words.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Homeless riding public transportation (trains) all day to stay warm or dry.

Which is interesting, because this is an uberliberal uberhippie city, and what's not hippie liberal is religious Mormon. You'd think they'd have all sorts of facilities for homeless people and helping the down on their luck. In that few blocks area downtown the homeless have what looks like camps set up, and you'll see them sleeping spread out right on the sidewalk closer to the commercial areas. It's a major eyesore and can't be safe.

And then literally two blocks away is Temple Square, which is dripping money and luxury.

Go figure.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Today we saw the Great Salt Lake, which was indeed impressive. I dipped my finger in and tasted it...meh, needs salt.

Then we found street tacos from a truck for pre-dinner, and followed it up with my new favorite Asian food: Hot Pot. SLC has a rather significant Chinatown, right next to an impressive Central American section (which is how we ended up with our multi-cultural dinner). I am a big fan of Asian food in all its subcats, so we went in search of Korean bibimbap, which is my favorite food. The restaurant we were looking for was no longer there; that location is now Red House, and their special today was a Hot Pot buffet.

They bring you a pot filled with the bubbling broth of your choice (spicy for me, original for Monello), set on top of a tabletop burner to keep it going. You go to the buffet and get your raw ingredients - they had all sorts of meats, seafood, and veggies, many of which I had no idea what they were, and uncooked rice noodles. Then you bring them back to your table and cook them in your bubbling broth.

AMAZING!!

#1, this is a really fun way to eat. #2, it was delicious and you can have exactly what you want. I'm a big fan of cooking my own food at the table - don't get me started on hot rock beef and seafood. :yum: So this was right up my alley - Asian food AND cooking it at the table! BRILLIANT!! You spend a lot of time chasing the meat and veggies around the broth pot (I did notice, however, that the Chinese girl at the table next to us didn't seem to be having that problem, and I studied her intently to see what I was supposed to be doing).

Anyway, Hot Pot is my new favorite food. As much as I love Asian food, I can't believe I've never had this before.

Agee

If you have the chance take a trip up into the mountains, a few valley roads ascend from the city to the parks and ski resorts. Try Park City, been "yuppified, but some good eats to be found...

lucky_bee

RBF expert
If you have the chance take a trip up into the mountains, a few valley roads ascend from the city to the parks and ski resorts. Try Park City, been "yuppified, but some good eats to be found...

I concur. Went there as a chaperone with my younger brothers' high school ski club trip (Park City, that is). So I didn't get to explore SLC, but saw almost all of Park City since we were there 5 days and I don't actually ski :biggrin: It happened to be like a week after the Sundance Film Festival which helped yuppify the place, however it's a very cute little ski town. It wasn't too hipster as of 2011 when I was there, so who knows where it's at on the bourbon, beards, and flannel scale now. But I loved it. So many fantastic restaurants, architecture, friendly residents, couple cute museums about the area (used to mine coal there), plenty of fun things to do... My mother and I spent one day doing a historical tour on snow shoes - we ended up being the only ones signed up and got our very own private tour by one of the town's most prestigious historians! And a serious quads workout. wow.

And right down the road, heading towards SLC, are sites from the Winter Olympics when they were held there. The whole ski club went on a tour (open to public) of the facilities, complete with museum and a ride up to the tall ski jump :dead: I could barely leave the elevator. However the views were phenomenal. Actually the whole trip, there was never a bad view. Although I was there in February so everything was covered in snow! So pretty.

I'm totally fascinated by the Mormons. Not so much your millennial, East Coast Mormon - they can't hold a candle next to the ones out west. The religion totally fascinates me and creeps me out at the same time. The hair, dresses, lifestyle, beliefs, the men.... I don't get it. I can respect it (to a point), but they've always intrigued me. I watched that HBO show Big Love, all 5 seasons in less than 2 weeks. So...interesting. :twitch:

I'd love to go back to Utah mainly bc 1. Park City was fantastic and 2. to actually explore SLC!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
why is it Vile ?

-taste
-or the fact someone mixed Ketchup and Mayo

It tastes like a cup of azzholes.

I mean, I'm game. The thought of dipping my fries in mayo gags me out, but if it's a thing I'll try it

No.

Like, hell no.

Ack.

The thing here is balls, which - I'm from Nebraska. We do that there. And I didn't like it then, so pretty sure I won't like it now. Fry sauce is worse than balls.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Pie! Pizzeria. I think the best is the one just west of the U of Utah campus. 1320 E 200 S. You go down into the basement from the street - great pie, atmosphere, and a campus favorite for generations.

Joni's Deli. The Dagwood and Philly sandwiches are great, and huge.

https://www.groupon.com/biz/salt-lake-city/jonis-deli-1

Like I mentioned earlier, Monument (or Ensign) Peak is a really cool, short 20 minute hike each way, and the view is unparalleled. Just go to the capitol, head north up the hill, then wind around west until you find a small park and park on the street. then just hike up. you will not regret it.

Trailhead: Make your way to the State Capitol Building. Do this by traveling State Street from downtown, which will take you past the Capitol on the west side. Take the cross street either in front of or behind the Capitol complex until you reach East Capitol Blvd. Turn left and drive north through the residential area until you reach North Sandrun Drive (940 N) and turn left on that road. Drive about 1 block and the road "forks". In the middle of the fork is an LDS meetinghouse. Take the right fork, which runs behind the church. The trailhead is about 1/2 block further on the right hand side and is a developed, easily identifiable trailhead. (Lat:40.79185 Lon:-111.88825)

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Ensign_Peak_7160.asp

SLC is one of our favorite destinations, any season.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I concur. Went there as a chaperone with my younger brothers' high school ski club trip (Park City, that is). So I didn't get to explore SLC, but saw almost all of Park City since we were there 5 days and I don't actually ski :biggrin: It happened to be like a week after the Sundance Film Festival which helped yuppify the place, however it's a very cute little ski town. It wasn't too hipster as of 2011 when I was there, so who knows where it's at on the bourbon, beards, and flannel scale now. But I loved it. So many fantastic restaurants, architecture, friendly residents, couple cute museums about the area (used to mine coal there), plenty of fun things to do... My mother and I spent one day doing a historical tour on snow shoes - we ended up being the only ones signed up and got our very own private tour by one of the town's most prestigious historians! And a serious quads workout. wow.

And right down the road, heading towards SLC, are sites from the Winter Olympics when they were held there. The whole ski club went on a tour (open to public) of the facilities, complete with museum and a ride up to the tall ski jump :dead: I could barely leave the elevator. However the views were phenomenal. Actually the whole trip, there was never a bad view. Although I was there in February so everything was covered in snow! So pretty.

I'm totally fascinated by the Mormons. Not so much your millennial, East Coast Mormon - they can't hold a candle next to the ones out west. The religion totally fascinates me and creeps me out at the same time. The hair, dresses, lifestyle, beliefs, the men.... I don't get it. I can respect it (to a point), but they've always intrigued me. I watched that HBO show Big Love, all 5 seasons in less than 2 weeks. So...interesting. :twitch:

I'd love to go back to Utah mainly bc 1. Park City was fantastic and 2. to actually explore SLC!
Only problem is you associate Big Love with the Mormon Church.. Polygamy is not allowed in the Mormon church and will get you excommunicated from the Church

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pie! Pizzeria. I think the best is the one just west of the U of Utah campus. 1320 E 200 S. You go down into the basement from the street - great pie, atmosphere, and a campus favorite for generations.

Joni's Deli. The Dagwood and Philly sandwiches are great, and huge.

https://www.groupon.com/biz/salt-lake-city/jonis-deli-1

Like I mentioned earlier, Monument (or Ensign) Peak is a really cool, short 20 minute hike each way, and the view is unparalleled. Just go to the capitol, head north up the hill, then wind around west until you find a small park and park on the street. then just hike up. you will not regret it.

Trailhead: Make your way to the State Capitol Building. Do this by traveling State Street from downtown, which will take you past the Capitol on the west side. Take the cross street either in front of or behind the Capitol complex until you reach East Capitol Blvd. Turn left and drive north through the residential area until you reach North Sandrun Drive (940 N) and turn left on that road. Drive about 1 block and the road "forks". In the middle of the fork is an LDS meetinghouse. Take the right fork, which runs behind the church. The trailhead is about 1/2 block further on the right hand side and is a developed, easily identifiable trailhead. (Lat:40.79185 Lon:-111.88825)

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Ensign_Peak_7160.asp

SLC is one of our favorite destinations, any season.

THE Pie.. in the basement right outside the main entrance to the Ute campus. That's the original Pie.. there's one like just around the corner er that is on street level, but just isn't the same.