Greetings from Salt Lake City, UT!

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Only problem is you associate Big Love with the Mormon Church.. Polygamy is not allowed in the Mormon church and will get you excommunicated from the Church

I don't actually, I'm aware that they banned the polygamist followers back in the 1890s, I believe. However, most Polygamists still consider themselves Mormon whether they're welcome or not. I still find the LDS church interesting, as well as the polygamists. And neither of those interests are negative in any way.

I'm catholic. We got enough weird chit going on in our churches too :lol:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
THE Pie.. in the basement right outside the main entrance to the Ute campus. That's the original Pie.. there's one like just around the corner er that is on street level, but just isn't the same.

Yup. You gotta go down to get the best piece of pie, for sure.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love Vrai and Monnello's Excellent Adventure updates!!!! :yahoo:

We are having an amazing life right now. I thought I would start getting homesick and wanting to be back somewhere permanent, but nope. In fact, if we're too long in the same location I start getting antsy and looking forward to the next destination.

Right now we're back in Lincoln, NE for the Husker homecoming game tomorrow. We're holed up in a swanky Hyatt downtown, right by the stadium, and it's some posh digs but honestly not really any nicer than the La Quinta we stayed at last night in North Platte for 1/3 the price.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Today we saw the Great Salt Lake, which was indeed impressive. I dipped my finger in and tasted it...meh, needs salt.

Then we found street tacos from a truck for pre-dinner, and followed it up with my new favorite Asian food: Hot Pot. SLC has a rather significant Chinatown, right next to an impressive Central American section (which is how we ended up with our multi-cultural dinner). I am a big fan of Asian food in all its subcats, so we went in search of Korean bibimbap, which is my favorite food. The restaurant we were looking for was no longer there; that location is now Red House, and their special today was a Hot Pot buffet.

They bring you a pot filled with the bubbling broth of your choice (spicy for me, original for Monello), set on top of a tabletop burner to keep it going. You go to the buffet and get your raw ingredients - they had all sorts of meats, seafood, and veggies, many of which I had no idea what they were, and uncooked rice noodles. Then you bring them back to your table and cook them in your bubbling broth.

AMAZING!!

#1, this is a really fun way to eat. #2, it was delicious and you can have exactly what you want. I'm a big fan of cooking my own food at the table - don't get me started on hot rock beef and seafood. :yum: So this was right up my alley - Asian food AND cooking it at the table! BRILLIANT!! You spend a lot of time chasing the meat and veggies around the broth pot (I did notice, however, that the Chinese girl at the table next to us didn't seem to be having that problem, and I studied her intently to see what I was supposed to be doing).

Anyway, Hot Pot is my new favorite food. As much as I love Asian food, I can't believe I've never had this before.

A good website that describes the Hot Pot experience. Hot Pot