Septic Problem?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
The last few days I've noticed a bad odor coming from one of my toilets immediately after flushing. I don't have the same problem, at least not that I notice, when I flush the other toilet in my home.

House is 8 years old... probably due for a septic pump... but would like to put it off until next year. Question is... is this a problem with only the one toilet? Or is this a symptom of a larger problem, e.g. the need to do a septic pump?

Second question is... how much is it to get your septic pumped? Do they come out and find your tank, break the ground, and everything... or do you save any substantial $$$ if you can find the tank and dig it up yourself?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
sleuth said:
but would like to put it off until next year.

I have a question for you...why are you always trying to put something off?? I mean, if stuff needs to be taken care of, than it needs to be taken care of.

K

Kizzy

We had our septic pumped just prior to settlement and the cost was $300 which also included a test certification, so around about $200-$300. You can have it looked at for around $40-50 on average and they can tell you if a pumping is needed.

It is my understanding that every month you should flush some brewers yeast down the toilet, once it gets into the septic, it helps break down the enzymes.

I grew up on a septic system as did most people where I lived. I’ve noticed it in my house now, in my dad’s house, my inlaws, and other friends on a septic that sometimes you do get a little back smell.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Kizzy said:
It is my understanding that every month you should flush some brewers yeast down the toilet, once it gets into the septic, it helps break down the enzymes.

We use Rid-X. Same sort of thing, I assume.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
JabbaJawz said:
I have a question for you...why are you always trying to put something off?? I mean, if stuff needs to be taken care of, than it needs to be taken care of.
I rarely put things off.

This year, the AC broke. Fixed it.
A tooth went bad. Fixed it.
Deck needed replaced. Done.
Porch needed major repair. Done.
Car become to much to handle. Replaced.
And a whole host of other things that needed done were done.

The reasons I would have liked to put this off if possible are 1) All those other big projects and replacement items severely hurt the wallet this year... and I could use a little more time to save up for another big item... 2) I'm in the middle of some other projects that I would hate to interrupt because they're time-sensitive... and 3) It's getting cold outside and the ground is beginning to harden.

And just like everything else this year... I'll probably do this soon *anyway*... I just wondered how pressing it was. It gives me an idea of what projects I should prioritize.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Kizzy said:
We had our septic pumped just prior to settlement and the cost was $300 which also included a test certification, so around about $200-$300. You can have it looked at for around $40-50 on average and they can tell you if a pumping is needed.

Dang... wish I had known that.
Does the $200-$300 include the ground-busting and them locating your septic? I don't know exactly where mine is. I just know the general area. I'll have to rent a metal detector to find it.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Lost Soul said:
Sounds more like you have a problem with the toilet or a vent pipe in that bathroom.
That's what I'm thinkin' too. I'm just not sure how to troubleshoot something like that. :confused:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
JabbaJawz said:
It's usually $200-$300 bucks and a good idea to do it once a year, or at least every 2 years.
When I was growing up in the midwest, we had a septic and we lived in that house for 15+ years. I can only recall the tank being pumped one time. :ohwell:

K

Kizzy

sleuth said:
Dang... wish I had known that.
Does the $200-$300 include the ground-busting and them locating your septic? I don't know exactly where mine is. I just know the general area. I'll have to rent a metal detector to find it.

I'm sure the professionals know where it is. Let them find it. :lmao:

Agee

Are you having any drainage problems, ie: sinks draining slow, washing machine drain, etc. If your commodes are flushing normally, and water is draining properly thoughout your system, doesn't sound like a septic problem. Check your plumbing vents as mentioned in another reply.

Any puddles in the yard (around tank location or drain fields).

BTW septic services will do the whole deal, but if you locate the tank and expose the cover yourself, you can save some green.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Airgasm said:
Are you having any drainage problems, ie: sinks draining slow, washing machine drain, etc. If your commodes are flushing normally, and water is draining properly thoughout your system, doesn't sound like a septic problem. Check your plumbing vents as mentioned in another reply.

Any puddles in the yard (around tank location or drain fields).

BTW septic services will do the whole deal, but if you locate the tank and expose the cover yourself, you can save some green.
I've noticed no other problems with my water/drainage systems except for a sulfuric odor that comes and goes in the shower. No standing water that I've seen, and I've been out and over that yard a dozen times this fall raking leaves.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
JabbaJawz said:
Yeah, after you farted around for ions...
Well pardon me for actually trying to pay for something with money that I actually had instead of just piling on the debt. :ohwell:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
DoWhat said:
Didn't you have the house inspected before you bought it?
Yes. All systems were working normally when I bought the house. It had no major structural problems aside from the deck and front porch. I also knew that it had been neglected by its previous owner and that there would be some fixing up to do - I just didn't expect to have to do it all at once. :ohwell:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
Well pardon me for actually trying to pay for something with money that I actually had instead of just piling on the debt. :ohwell:
How is the spice rack coming along?
I bet it will look awesome.