Septic Problem?

Agee

sleuth said:
I've noticed no other problems with my water/drainage systems except for a sulfuric odor that comes and goes in the shower. No standing water that I've seen, and I've been out and over that yard a dozen times this fall raking leaves.

The dreaded "rotten egg smell", your water supply.

If you want to check your plumbing vents, you need to head to the rooftop. Check for bird nests or a dead critter. Tie a weight to a line and drop down the vent. Determine how far it dropped.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
Yes. All systems were working normally when I bought the house. It had no major structural problems aside from the deck and front porch. I also knew that it had been neglected by its previous owner and that there would be some fixing up to do - I just didn't expect to have to do it all at once. :ohwell:
A good inspector should of recommended the septic tank to be pumped, or at least open it up and look inside. Then you would of known where the damn thing is at (look on your plat)

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Airgasm said:

The dreaded "rotten egg smell", your water supply.

If you want to check your plumbing vents, you need to head to the rooftop. Check for bird nests or a dead critter. Tie a weight to a line and drop down the vent. Determine how far it dropped.
Thanks. Might have to do that.

I guess now is the time to get familiar with how a plumbing system works.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
DoWhat said:
A good inspector should of recommended the septic tank to be pumped, or at least open it up and look inside. Then you would of known where the damn thing is at (look on your plat)
I went through 2 different home inspection companies at different properties before this one. All of them were highly recommended by my peers, and none of them took the time to open up the septic tank. My sister recently bought a home - her septic tank wasn't inspected either.

So far as I know, most home inspectors don't come out and dig up a hole in your yard to examine septic tanks. :shrug:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
DoWhat said:
And like I said... I know where the general area is that the tank is at. I just don't know exactly.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
So far as I know, most home inspectors don't come out and dig up a hole in your yard to examine septic tanks. :shrug:
Both of mine did.
Find out where it is before you put the house on the market.

Elle

Happy Camper!
sleuth said:

I would think that would be something to inspect, I mean if it could possibly cost you a hunk of change shortly after your purchase:shrug:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I think Sleuth should just get a hose and syphon it out himself. It will do wonders for plant growth in the yard. :biggrin:

Agee

sleuth said:
And like I said... I know where the general area is that the tank is at. I just don't know exactly.

I have seen septic companies use a long metal rod, for locating the cover. Since the covers and tank are concrete not sure how well a "metal detector will work".

The covers are buried below the freeze line (2 - 3 ft.), and are approx. 3x3 ft in size.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Airgasm said:
I have seen septic companies use a long metal rod, for locating the cover. Since the covers and tank are concrete not sure how well a "metal detector will work".

The covers are buried below the freeze line (2 - 3 ft.), and are approx. 3x3 ft in size.

That's a good idea. I'll have to find something that I can use.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Ken King said:
I think Sleuth should just get a hose and syphon it out himself. It will do wonders for plant growth in the yard. :biggrin:

You're so mean. How do you sleep at night?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
The location of the septic lid should be marked on your plat, which you should've gotten at settlement. You can save some money digging it up yourself, my parents did that once and only once. They decided the cost of the digging wasn't worth the hassle of making us kids do it.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Dymphna said:
The location of the septic lid should be marked on your plat, which you should've gotten at settlement. You can save some money digging it up yourself, my parents did that once and only once. They decided the cost of the digging wasn't worth the hassle of making us kids do it.
:lol: I got a while before I have that luxury.

Agee

Dymphna said:
They decided the cost of the digging wasn't worth the hassle of making us kids do it.

Yeah, I had the septic digging detail when I was younger. The backyard looked like a bad version of caddyshack!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
elaine said:
You're so mean. How do you sleep at night?
I sleep fine at night. I was just trying to help kill two birds with one stone. Besides isn't Danzig summoning you somewhere else on here that you should immediately repond to in a subserviant manner?