Radar Detectors

D

dems4me

Can anyone find a list of what states they are legal in and what states they are not? I got one this weekend and know they are illegal in VA where I'm from but legal in MD where I live, wasn't sure about DC though. Been searching and can't find anything one way or another. Anyone know off hand if they are legal in MD:shrug: :flowers:

mainman

Set Trippin
dems4me said:
Can anyone find a list of what states they are legal in and what states they are not? I got one this weekend and know they are illegal in VA where I'm from but legal in MD where I live, wasn't sure about DC though. Been searching and can't find anything one way or another. Anyone know off hand if they are legal in MD:shrug: :flowers:
:bonk: Sometimes I think you post just to see yourself................ummm type...

D

dems4me

mainman said:
:bonk: Sometimes I think you post just to see yourself................ummm type...

I was looking for the regulations but didn't know so I turned off in DC to be on the safeside, but I'd like to keep it on if still legal because it warns you of emergency vehicles approaching, and alot of times they come flying through intersections and you can't see them before they fly through the intersection because of tall buildings being in the way. It was for safty reasons :smile:

D

dems4me

OK last dumb question on this stuff... when it says its illegal even in passive state (am I to presume that means turned off it is still illegal... as in don't bring it in the state period) :shrug:

Virginia
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth As radar detectors are illegal in Virginia, our most popular band sold in this area is the Beltronics 975R Remote Detector. It is VG2 compliant..

CMC122

Go Braves!
I always understood that if they see it and you don't even have it on they can take it. :yay: It happened to my old neighbor once.

D

dems4me

CMC122 said:
I always understood that if they see it and you don't even have it on they can take it. :yay: It happened to my old neighbor once.

OK thanks, :flowers:
Just don't see why VA or DC is bent on this, every state that I've clicked on so far has it as legal (except its illegal in all military bases)... all but VA and DC except Wisc. which has a law where you can have it but not on your windshield.... As a matter of fact, the entire east and west coast will let you have one. :mad:

dems4me said:
Silly, that was the site I was just on that had the ambiguous "passive" or active, illegal statement I had quoted and was trying to clarify :roflmao:
Dems, "passive" means "turned off/not in use".... "active" means "turned on/in use". It is written quite clear.

MMDad

Lem Putt
dems4me said:
Silly, that was the site I was just on that had the ambiguous "passive" or active, illegal statement I had quoted and was trying to clarify :roflmao:
Here's the important part:

"Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated."

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Thats why you spend the extra money and get a detector that cannot be detected. Mine is nice when it picks it up in Virginia in then turns itself off automatically so as not to be detected and then turns back on 30 seconds later.

D

dems4me

FastCarsSpeed said:
Thats why you spend the extra money and get a detector that cannot be detected. Mine is nice when it picks it up in Virginia in then turns itself off automatically so as not to be detected and then turns back on 30 seconds later.

But who wants to take that chance of spending money on one that is VG-2 (?), mine is supposedly the latest and greatest and not detectable, but if I get pulled over whether its on or not in VA apparently they'll take it. :frown:. Mine is voice command or beep. I have it set for voice and keep getting messages like KA2 alert... Ka alert, etc... Need to look up the "codes" :lol: If its emergency vehicle it'll say "Saftey alert" ermegency vehicle approaching" I'm waiting for it to say "Alert! Alert! Idiot driver ahead! Alert Alert!! " :lol:

D

dems4me

kwillia said:
Dems, "passive" means "turned off/not in use".... "active" means "turned on/in use". It is written quite clear.

Not trying to split hairs, but why don't they just say no devices allowed in the state period. :shrug: :frown:

dems4me said:
Not trying to split hairs, but why don't they just say no devices allowed in the state period. :shrug: :frown:
You have 17 freaking years experience working with lawyers... I think you know this answer...:smack:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
dems4me said:
It's only illegal if you get caught.. did you buy a passive radar detector?? VG2 safe?? If not the cops can detect your detector and cite you.. I use mine in VA and has saved me from a few tickets.. and it's not only illegal in VA to use one, it's also illegal to possess one, so shutting it off and putting it on the floor doesn't count.

MMDad

Lem Putt
kwillia said:
You have 17 freaking years experience working with lawyers... I think you know this answer...:smack:
I just looked at her profile and saw her occupation! :lmao: :killingme

It took me 30 seconds to find the law, and she came here to idiot central! :killingme :jameo: