Radar Detectors

itsbob

I bowl overhand
dems4me said:
Yes - it's an XRS 9400 11 Band Radar/laser (LIDAR) detector with "extreme range" superheterodyne technology. It has three bands X, K and Ka band and lets me know which one it is... Also it does not emit signals that can be deted by VG-2 or Specter 1, but does detect VG-2 and Spectre 1 signals and will alert me when a devise is in use near my vehicle if I choose, also has saftey alert traffic warning system, stobe alert detecter, etc...

The reason I got one is beause quite frankly I'd always wanted one but wanted to wait for technology to improve on these, I'd remember exboyfriends having one and it would always go off near electronic garage doors, shopping centers, etc... it was more of a nusiance than anything. Now that I have 5 points on my license from last February's speeding ticket 70 in a 35, then picked up another speeding ticket in Arlington this February 43 in a 30. I walked into ProAudio for something else and purchased it. It was reduced significantly because it was returned, I figured what the heck :smile: I never conciously break the speed limit, I'm just in a hurry a lot and if its open road, I tend to drive fast under these conditions :frown:
Go to the Food Liion in SOlomons, you'll get "Train Approaching" if you sit there long enough.

D

dems4me

Ponytail said:
Don't depend on it to work for Laser. laser has a detectable contact patch of 36". Normally, the officer will be aiming at your front license plate. if your detecor is not with a 36" circle of that plate, it will not detect a laser. A laser needs 3 measurements with consistant readings to get a speed reading. Unless your detector is also a well placed laser jammer, the only thing your detector will do, is let you know that you've been caught.

Said it had a 360 degree radius :shrug:

willie

dems4me said:
Yes, this morning I was at a stop light right next to a cop and the radar detector was blaring "ALERT!!! ALERT!!! kA 2(?) DETECTED!!! ALERT!!! ALERT!!!" It was super loud, I was embarassed as hell as the cop car was practically smacked up against the truck on the tiny Hughsville light road. Figured that would be all but it kept doing it over and over after the initial alert. Finally, I turned it down, talk about being obvious... :blushing:
The "noise" I was referring to is not audio but a frequency that will be picked up by other detectors. You would not even know your detector is emitting the signal unless someone with another detector told you.

Ponytail

I like to get behind Migtig with MY detector on. Drives her batty. :lmao:

I also like getting behind po-po with mine. Ya can't help but laugh...watching them look around, turning their radar on and off :roflmao:

It's not quite as funny in VA though. Them be out for blood looking for it. I just :whistle: and :shrug: when they look at me. :angel:

willie

Ponytail said:
I like to get behind Migtig with MY detector on. Drives her batty. :lmao:

I also like getting behind po-po with mine. Ya can't help but laugh...watching them look around, turning their radar on and off :roflmao:

It's not quite as funny in VA though. Them be out for blood looking for it. I just :whistle: and :shrug: when they look at me. :angel:
Do you have a green F250? That sucker puts out a signal almost as strong as an actual radar gun.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
willie said:
Do you have a green F250? That sucker puts out a signal almost as strong as an actual radar gun.
Going down 235, I get a LOT of hits form oncoming traffic, I'd like to find out what kind of detectors they have, and make sure it's not one like mine.

I thought the noise you were talking about was refleceted RF energy back from the detector.. ie, radar shoots you, your detector picks it up, but in return, reflects energy back out of the horn..
But now that I think about it, I get a false K or Ka alert from just somebody's car driving by, with no cops within miles..

Ponytail

itsbob said:
Going down 235, I get a LOT of hits form oncoming traffic, I'd like to find out what kind of detectors they have, and make sure it's not one like mine.

I thought the noise you were talking about was refleceted RF energy back from the detector.. ie, radar shoots you, your detector picks it up, but in return, reflects energy back out of the horn..
But now that I think about it, I get a false K or Ka alert from just somebody's car driving by, with no cops within miles..

If they're a radar jammer like mine, that's what you are picking up. You should be able to filter most of it out by keeping it on "city" mode. OR I could turn my jammer off. But what fun would THAT be? :biggrin:

I get alot of false signals from other folks around me too. So it ALL can't be blamed on me. Can it? :yikes:

:lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
CMC122 said:
You people go thru all of this in hopes of avoiding a ticket:lmao:
Other then the sum##### with the laser, it works great.. and even he let me off with a warning.. the Armor Cavalry Stickers worked their magic that time!!

Cops usually love veterans..

D

dems4me

itsbob said:

I was reading the manual some during lunch, it gives you an alert if they ahve a detector detector (VG-2 or Spectre), my question is, why would they have a detector, detector if its legal :shrug:

awg9tech

itsbob said:

That's the bleed over from the receiver of the other detector that is setting yours off. Your detector is probably setting off the other detector too.

awg9tech

dems4me said:
I was reading the manual some during lunch, it gives you an alert if they ahve a detector detector (VG-2 or Spectre), my question is, why would they have a detector, detector if its legal :shrug:

If the cop knows that a radar detector is being used, he'll just turn off his radar until you're right up on him. Your radar detector may be "invisible” to VG2, but it’s only "invisible" because it turns itself off for a preset amount of time when a VG2 is detected.

Pete

Repete
dems4me said:
So he knows to give you a real ticket for the fuull speed you were going and not a warning or knock it down because you had an advantage by having detector and intended to speed and he was crafty enough to catch you because you are dumb? :shrug:

Last edited:
D

dems4me

Pete said:
So he knows to give you a real ticket for the fuull speed you were going and not a warning or knock it down because you had an advantage by having detector and intended to speed and he was crafty enough to catch you because you are dumb? :shrug:

Thanks, I just didn''t detect much point in my detector detecting a detector,detector - thought it sounded silly to me especially if it's legal to begin with :crazy: :jameo::jameo::jameo:

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

awg9tech said:
If the cop knows that a radar detector is being used, he'll just turn off his radar until you're right up on him. Your radar detector may be "invisible” to VG2, but it’s only "invisible" because it turns itself off for a preset amount of time when a VG2 is detected.
Isn't VG2 just a receiver? By the time all this detecting of secondary weak signals is detected, you would've blown his doors off.