Home alone

greyhound

A: Family Law Article, § 5-801, provides:

(a) A person who is charged with the care of a child under the age of 8 years may not allow the child to be locked or confined in a dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor vehicle while the person charged is absent and the dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor vehicle is out of the sight of the person charged unless the person charged provides a reliable person at least 13 years old to remain with the child to protect the child.

(b) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment not exceeding 30 days, or both.

greyhound said:

(a) A person who is charged with the care of a child under the age of 8 years may not allow the child to be locked or confined in a dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor vehicle while the person charged is absent and the dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor vehicle is out of the sight of the person charged unless the person charged provides a reliable person at least 13 years old to remain with the child to protect the child.

(b) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment not exceeding 30 days, or both.

Confusing. Can you leave them alone at 9 or at 13?

CableChick said:
Confusing. Can you leave them alone at 9 or at 13?
8 and up can be left alone in a home or vehicle. 7 and under must have someone at least 13 years old with them at all times.

M

Mousebaby

Personally I didn't start trusting to leave my son alone until he was 13. Boys aren't as mature and responsible as girls for the most part. He knows all the rules for staying home alone and he has never broken them. If I had left him alone any younger I would say he wouldn't have been as responsible as he is now. JMHO. :howdy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nanny Pam said:
I think 10 years old.
That's what I'd call it. I don't know as I'd be comfortable leaving an 8 year old home for anything more than me running next door to the neighbor's.

greyhound said:

The way that reads it would be o.k. to leave them out in the middle of a field, in your yard or at the beach. Just as long as they are not confined. There must be more to it than that. :howdy:

CandyRain

My son's only 7. The reason I'm asking is because he goes to bed at 8:30, he's a sound sleeper (and I mean NEVER gets up for ANYTHING, not even to pee), and there are times, like at 9 when I'm still up and my to-do list is still weighing on my mind, when I think, "Hmmmmm, hopefully sometime soon, I can run to the grocery store and pick up a couple things." My only worry is that that would be the night he got up for a drink of water. :doh:

CandyRain said:
My son's only 7. The reason I'm asking is because he goes to bed at 8:30, he's a sound sleeper (and I mean NEVER gets up for ANYTHING, not even to pee), and there are times, like at 9 when I'm still up and my to-do list is still weighing on my mind, when I think, "Hmmmmm, hopefully sometime soon, I can run to the grocery store and pick up a couple things." My only worry is that that would be the night he got up for a drink of water. :doh:
I don't care what age a kid is, I don't think it's ever a good idea to leave the house without letting them know they are on their own. :eyebrow:

Tina2001aniT

CandyRain said:

Are you serious?? he's 7, and you want to leave him at home alone sleeping?? The as you described VERY sound sleeping 7 year old??? :banghead:

nomoney

CandyRain said:

Well hopefully this is your stupid question for the day.

CandyRain

kwillia said:
I don't care what age a kid is, I don't think it's ever a good idea to leave the house without letting them know they are on their own. :eyebrow:
I would have a "Home Alone" conversation with him WELL before I would ever do it. :rolleyes: Since I'm a single parent, we've also had the "if-you-wake-up-and-find-mommy-sleeping-and-she-won't-wake-up" conversation many times.

nomoney

CandyRain said:
I would have a "Home Alone" conversation with him WELL before I would ever do it. :rolleyes: Since I'm a single parent, we've also had the "if-you-wake-up-and-find-mommy-sleeping-and-she-won't-wake-up" conversation many times.

waking up and finding mommy not waking up is totally different then waking up alone in a house and having no clue where mommy is. Would you like to get home to a house full of cops and have to answer where the he*L you were because your son did the right/only thing he knew what to do in that situation?

nomoney

Beside you have the same dinners every week, wth would you need to run to the grocery store so late at night? I mean its not like you could've forgotten anything when you cook the same crap every week?

CandyRain

Tina2001aniT said:
Are you serious?? he's 7, and you want to leave him at home alone sleeping?? The as you described VERY sound sleeping 7 year old??? :banghead:
:banghead: I didn't say I was gonna do it now. When I was a kid, I spent 2 1/2 hours alone after school M-F so I figured the age was sometime between now and 9. MY GOD!! I guess I should've taken this to the "Not So Self Righteous Parenting" forum. :notetoselffornexttime: