‘Star Trek’ Jokes in Class Make Women Feel ‘Unwelcome,’ Says University of Washington Prof

terbear1225

You made me look.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/products

Where did you see pink with flowers? That's a real question because I want to get some for my granddaughter.

Or they could put them in a science classroom to attract girls. :lol: (Sorry, I just think it's hilarious that this professor thinks some girl will decided to become a research chemist because she saw pretty pictures on the wall of the classroom. She goes in...oooh! Kittens! Then is like, what fresh hell is this??? :lmao:)

try clicking on the "Friends" " Disney" or "elves" collections (3 of the 4 with primarily girls in the icon)

terbear1225

my daughter has received some of the kits, pretty sure they were purchased from target if shopping from a physical store is preferable for you (not sure if you need to ship gifts or will be there in person)

Clem72

It does still bug me that all the "girl" lego sets are pink and pastel with flowers

And here it is, perfect example of blaming the system for your own bias. Lego has THOUSANDS of sets, in all shapes and sizes, including a pink and pastel one with flowers. But I bet in no place does it say it's specifically designed for girls, you were the one that made that assumption. Why not assume the one for Caterpillar Tractors is for girls only?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And here it is, perfect example of blaming the system for your own bias. Lego has THOUSANDS of sets, in all shapes and sizes, including a pink and pastel one with flowers. But I bet in no place does it say it's specifically designed for girls, you were the one that made that assumption. Why not assume the one for Caterpillar Tractors is for girls only?

I think the Star Wars sets are definitely for girls.

You make an excellent point. Why is it presumed that the pink flowery Legos are for girls and the other Legos are for boys?

terbear1225

take a look at the packaging/icons. How many of the pink flowery ones have mostly female characters on the packaging versus the other themed sets that have predominantly male characters?

I personally LOVE the star wars sets and own several!

Clem72

take a look at the packaging/icons. How many of the pink flowery ones have mostly female characters on the packaging versus the other themed sets that have predominantly male characters?

I personally LOVE the star wars sets and own several!

So what I'm hearing is that little girls can't play with boy figurines, and little boys can't play with girl figurines. And how do you know what gender those figurines are, or are you imposing gender identity onto them?

*BTW I am pulling your chain here.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If Star Trek nerds intimidate them, The doctor who and lord of the rings crowds must make them catatonic.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Just in case any of them are reading…

IMG_0066.JPG

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
the biggest star trek/ doctor who nerd I know is a petite, adorable 30 something woman who could pass for 15. :)

Christy on here is a big Doctor Who fan. There was another one that she liked, that I can't remember but it was some sci-fi thing.