Moving to Saint Mary's County: Leonardtown vs Lexington Park

idiganthro

Hello everyone,
Our family will be moving to Saint Mary's County soon. My husband is retiring from the Navy and will be working for a defense contractor in the area. Our youngest child is a sophmore in high school, so we're pretty much shopping the area by the school districts. So far it's looking like Leonardtown, though much smaller than Lexington Park, has a better school, as far as test scores go. If anyone could make recommendations regarding good areas to live we'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

idiganthro

How does the cost of housing compare for both places? I'm having a hard time finding much for sale in Leonardtown (at least within our price range), but there's a ton of houses in Lex Park.

G

Gemmi

How does the cost of housing compare for both places? I'm having a hard time finding much for sale in Leonardtown (at least within our price range), but there's a ton of houses in Lex Park.

Some of the less expensive houses may very well be in a not so good area to live in LP.

Dukesdad

There's a reason so many are for sale in Lex Park. You didn't specify your price range but housing in St. Mary's is steep... Move to Leonardtown.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?

hickory hills is GM district but my sister loves it.

Also Breton Bay is a great area

Check with the new homes in WildeWood, they have affordable homes in there that are great. The one I was looking at was awesome and was only 300,000

G

Gemmi

FYI some areas of Great Mills are part of the Leonardtown school district. I live in Great Mills and my son attends Leonardtown High.

idiganthro

We're hoping to stay below 400,000. Hmmm I didn't know any part of Great Mills fed to Leonardtown HS. That's a great tip.
Keep 'em coming- this is just what we need! We're driving up for the weekend to do some scouting of the area. My husband will stay with friends, and come home on weekends till the school year ends, and then we'll move lock, stock and barrel next summer. So, luckily we don't have to rush into any decisions. I tend to research things to death, so there's plenty of time for me to obsess!
Actually, I'm kind of excited about the move- wasn't at first, but there may be some real benefits of getting out of the crowded city.

ImnoMensa

No doubt Leonardtown is the better choice of the two

I dont know Chopticon's test scores but there are some nice places to live in Mechanicsville..Medleys Neck is nice, thats right behind Leonardtown High School.
Redgate is fine.

Be careful about Lexington Park.,some really dangerous places there. Also you dont want to move too close to the Leonardtown Firehouse.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
FYI some areas of Great Mills are part of the Leonardtown school district. I live in Great Mills and my son attends Leonardtown High.

If you were talking to me, Hickory Hill is GM, but I think you are right about some places in Great Mills being Leonardtown HS.

The thing with LHS, is it is very over crowded. How is GMH?

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
We're hoping to stay below 400,000. Hmmm I didn't know any part of Great Mills fed to Leonardtown HS. That's a great tip.
Keep 'em coming- this is just what we need! We're driving up for the weekend to do some scouting of the area. My husband will stay with friends, and come home on weekends till the school year ends, and then we'll move lock, stock and barrel next summer. So, luckily we don't have to rush into any decisions. I tend to research things to death, so there's plenty of time for me to obsess!
Actually, I'm kind of excited about the move- wasn't at first, but there may be some real benefits of getting out of the crowded city.

You really check out the new homes in Wildewood, if they are still having the incentives they pay up to 35000 toward closing and down payment

belvak

Happy Camper
As mentioned earlier, don't forget the Mechanicsville area and Chopticon (Cow Pie High). My daughter graduated from Chopticon and I never had any problems with the school - teachers or administration. Everyone was great! There are lots of really nice homes for sale in the Mechanicsville area. It encompasses a large area, so you would have lots of choices and wouldn't be too far from Hubby's work. If he is based in LP, he would have about a 25 minute drive. Welcom to the County!!!

Richard Cranium

First of all, I'd automatically throw GM out of the equation.

Second, I'd have to say it's a toss up between LHS and CHS. LHS would probably be a closer drive to the base but CHS would be an easier commute to the beltway.

Third, look out for the Amish buggies.

P

Patch Tuesday

Welcome

Hello everyone,
Our family will be moving to Saint Mary's County soon. My husband is retiring from the Navy and will be working for a defense contractor in the area. Our youngest child is a sophmore in high school, so we're pretty much shopping the area by the school districts. So far it's looking like Leonardtown, though much smaller than Lexington Park, has a better school, as far as test scores go. If anyone could make recommendations regarding good areas to live we'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

I agree that you're doing your family a disservice if you don't look at the Chopticon School district as well. Chopticon is comparable to Leonardtown in almost all respects.

On the other hand, Great Mills and Lexington Park are hoodlum central. There's a reason that homes in Lexington Park sell for less than the rest of the county, and it's the crime.

House prices are currently declining, so don't rule out renting for a couple of years, unless you're content with buying a depreciating asset. This area had a very large run-up in home prices and now it is correcting.

Best of luck on your move.

:popcorn:

idiganthro

You really check out the new homes in Wildewood, if they are still having the incentives they pay up to 35000 toward closing and down payment

Hey, I think we'll check it out on Saturday...I just pulled it up online and I'm definately interested! Now, to clarify, is Wildewood in or near Leonardtown itself?

Haha...great salesperson...are you an agent, or do you work for them?

belvak

Happy Camper
Third, look out for the Amish buggies.

Hey, I love the Amish, and their buggies! It's one of the things that has always made St. Mary's "Home" to me. If people have problems with Amish buggies, they shouldn't move here. Afterall, the Amish have been here a lot longer than many residents of St. Mary's.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
Hey, I think we'll check it out on Saturday...I just pulled it up online and I'm definately interested! Now, to clarify, is Wildewood in or near Leonardtown itself?

Haha...great salesperson...are you an agent, or do you work for them?

No I am thinking about buying a home. I have seen all the model homes and they were amazing and the price was very low.

Wait till you go see the models you will fall in love with them