Moving to Saint Mary's County: Leonardtown vs Lexington Park

P

Patch Tuesday

Hello everyone,
Our family will be moving to Saint Mary's County soon. My husband is retiring from the Navy and will be working for a defense contractor in the area. Our youngest child is a sophmore in high school, so we're pretty much shopping the area by the school districts. So far it's looking like Leonardtown, though much smaller than Lexington Park, has a better school, as far as test scores go. If anyone could make recommendations regarding good areas to live we'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

Here's some articles of what goes on just a short distance down the road from Great Mills High School:

"Detectives from the Bureau of Criminal Investigations Investigative and Narcotics Divisions, assisted by patrol officers from St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office, the Maryland State Police, Sheriff's Office Special Operations Division and St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office Corrections Division conducted a sting operation in Lexington Park. The operation was two (2) phases with the first phase focusing on the local prostitutes."

http://somd.com/news/headlines/2006/3606.shtml

"NARCOTICS STING OPERATION: Vice Narcotics Detectives were conducting a sting operation in Lexington Park when an undercover officer was approached by Mark Jerome Mason, 45, of Leonardtown. Mason offered Crack Cocaine to an undercover officer and led him to a nearby neighborhood. Once in the neighborhood Mason exited the vehicle and made contact with a group of individuals. It was then that Wayne Darnell Winters, 35, of Lexington Park produced an aluminum baseball bat and began to threaten the undercover officer. Winters swung the bat at the officer as he sat in a vehicle, causing the driver's side window to shatter. Others officers in the immediate area responded and a short foot chase ensued, leading to the apprehension of Winters."

http://somd.com/news/headlines/2007/6355.shtml

Lexington Park is home to our burgeoning population of nonprofit homeless shelters and counseling centers, so there's no shortage of nice characters running around just outside the gates of PAX River. The ones that don't like the rules at the shelter, such as no drugs or alcohol, live in the woods.

It's also home to the majority of the county's illegal immigrant population, which has Spanish speaking children to consume the school's resources...

:whistle:

idiganthro

I agree about the Amish and the buggies. We've been in the area to visit friends...back before we knew we'd be moving there also... and the Amish warm my heart. I'm really looking forward to that aspect of the community life. They've got something special, that's for sure.

idiganthro

Belvak and Patch...thanks for the tip on Chopticon HS. I pulled up the school's statistics (alongside LHS and GMHS) and I agree it's similar.
We definately need to take a "mental health day" and ride up during the week to tour both schools during school hours.
Anyway you cut it it's going to be a culture shock for our daughter. She's used to a large school with a very diverse student body and lots of activities...oh, and an undefeated football team. I swear she'd argue for the school with the best team! Haha.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice and keep it coming. This is exactly what I was looking for. Next I'll be posting to find a good catholic church, a job, a summer swim team...

dhartmann_2004

Hello everyone,
Our family will be moving to Saint Mary's County soon. My husband is retiring from the Navy and will be working for a defense contractor in the area. Our youngest child is a sophmore in high school, so we're pretty much shopping the area by the school districts. So far it's looking like Leonardtown, though much smaller than Lexington Park, has a better school, as far as test scores go. If anyone could make recommendations regarding good areas to live we'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

St. Mary's is a good place to live. If I can give any advice to you, It'd be- Move to Leonardtown. Redgate Farm Lane is a great area right before Callaway on Rt.5. Leonardtown has some great housing developments. Whatever you do stay away from Lexington Park. The crime down there is redicilous and too many girls walking up and down Great Mills Rd selling themselves. The police are usually around but they dont see everything that happens there. There also was a bank robbery at the Maryland Bank & Trust off Great Mills Rd and Shangri La <If I spelled that right<- about a couple weeks ago and they're still looking for that individual. So If anything move around Leonardtown. There is also a great development called Kings ---- Make a right off Rt.5 by Leonardtown Middle, High School and then it would be down on the right hand side of the road. Thats my advice to you.. If you need a relator to find a house called O'brien located in Charlotte Hall. Ask for JoAnna McLane She is great!! Takes care of you & everything, Trust Me.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
Belvak and Patch...thanks for the tip on Chopticon HS. I pulled up the school's statistics (alongside LHS and GMHS) and I agree it's similar.
We definately need to take a "mental health day" and ride up during the week to tour both schools during school hours.
Anyway you cut it it's going to be a culture shock for our daughter. She's used to a large school with a very diverse student body and lots of activities...oh, and an undefeated football team. I swear she'd argue for the school with the best team! Haha.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice and keep it coming. This is exactly what I was looking for. Next I'll be posting to find a good catholic church, a job, a summer swim team...

Be very careful with the company you decide to work for if you are going to be a DoD contractor. I can PM you details...

belvak

Happy Camper

The culture shock thing is unavoidable! :lmao: It will be a big change for her! But, there is a very diverse student body since there are so many students here that have parents who are based at Pax River (always someone new from somewhere else). Also, Chopticon has lots of different extra curricular activities (sports, music, etc.). She should find something to suit her. Also, depending where in the Mechanicsville or Leonardtown are you end up, California may be even closer than I estimated! My Aunt and Uncle are in Sandgates (still Mechanicsville as far as the USPS is concerned) but are at least 15 minutes closer to California than I am. Oh, and as far as Catholic Churches, there are plenty!!!

TexasSunflower

Support Our Troops!
Hello everyone,
Thanks.

Ok have to say it. Have you considered Calvert county? They have really good schools and the crime is not nearly as bad as St Mary's county. Don't let the bridge commute scare you. My husband works for a defense contractor on pax and travels that bridge every day without any problems. We live in the Lusby area and it only takes him 20-25 minutes to get to PAX. If you have any questions PM me I'd be happy to help! By the way, Welcome!!:howdy:

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
Leonardtown is the only area I would suggest especially for schools. You can find some nice homes in your price range as well.

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
Ok have to say it. Have you considered Calvert county? They have really good schools and the crime is not nearly as bad as St Mary's county. Don't let the bridge commute scare you. My husband works for a defense contractor on pax and travels that bridge every day without any problems. We live in the Lusby area and it only takes him 20-25 minutes to get to PAX. If you have any questions PM me I'd be happy to help! By the way, Welcome!!:howdy:

I completely agree, Calvert is where I live and I love the schools here.

TexasSunflower

Support Our Troops!
I completely agree, Calvert is where I live and I love the schools here.

We moved here 6 months ago and I did a ton of research and Calvert county had the best schools (statisticaly. forgive spelling) in southern Maryland. IMO I just feel more at ease with my children going to school here and not having to worry as much about the gang activity and drugs. Like they do in a lot of the high schools in St Mary's!! Plus I like the more peaceful laid back atmosphere you have here in lusby!

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
Other builders

No I am thinking about buying a home. I have seen all the model homes and they were amazing and the price was very low.

Wait till you go see the models you will fall in love with them

Nicole,

Just tried to send you a PM but your box was full. Wanted to get your input on all of the builders that you have visited with their models.

I will be building soon and have been researching myself and wanted to hear others input as well.

Feel free to pm me.

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
We moved here 6 months ago and I did a ton of research and Calvert county had the best schools (statisticaly. forgive spelling) in southern Maryland. IMO I just feel more at ease with my children going to school here and not having to worry as much about the gang activity and drugs. Like they do in a lot of the high schools in St Mary's!! Plus I like the more peaceful laid back atmosphere you have here in lusby!

I'm a little farther north in Port Republic but living here and waking up to see the Chesapeake Bay every day is amazing! Saint Leonard Elementary is a great school and is like a 2nd home to my kids.

mkd20012001

Live~Love~Laugh
I would have to say Wildewood is the way to go. It is a very peaceful place to live. Once you look at the model homes you will fall in love with them. It is in a great school (LHS) district also.

idiganthro

Thanks for the tip...I'll add that to my research list. I'm about to google Calvert County public schools.
BTW.. we're born & raised Texans also...

belvak

Happy Camper
Ok have to say it. Have you considered Calvert county? They have really good schools and the crime is not nearly as bad as St Mary's county. Don't let the bridge commute scare you.

Supporting statistics, please? What about CRE? Or White Sands? Both areas seem to appear frequently in crime reports. As for the bridge... I chose to live in St. Mary's because I figured if I was going to drive the distance I have to, I would rather NOT have to cross either the TJ or Benedict bridge. Also, I like the Amish!!

TexasSunflower

Support Our Troops!
Thanks for the tip...I'll add that to my research list. I'm about to google Calvert County public schools.
BTW.. we're born & raised Texans also...

That's cool! We're from the fort worth area. We miss it a lot but love the slower pace here. Just miss the cheaper living though!

idiganthro

We're from the area outside San Antonio...New Braunfels area. Yes, the house dollar still goes farther in most places there.

TexasSunflower

Support Our Troops!
Supporting statistics, please? What about CRE? Or White Sands? Both areas seem to appear frequently in crime reports. As for the bridge... I chose to live in St. Mary's because I figured if I was going to drive the distance I have to, I would rather NOT have to cross either the TJ or Benedict bridge. Also, I like the Amish!!

Don't have statistics on the crime part just the schools. Just went on what several of my co workers who live in both of those communities have told me. We don't live in either one of them. There are other communities in the lusby area besides those two. And yes there will be frequent crime reports from those two communities because they are the two biggest neighborhoods in Lusby. However, compared to lexington park, great mills and california IMO I feel a lot safer over here. also, Alot of people don't like to cross the bridge for various reasons but I think because of all the bad talk about it and the occasional wreck or slowdown on it people freak out about it! We have been here 6 months and the longest it has ever taken me or my husband to get over it is 5 minutes. And that's with the afternoon traffic.