13 YO flown out from a fight at Esperanza

black dog

Free America
My son is a 7th grader at Margaret Brent Middle School. The bullying is out of control, and the teachers and administrators do nothing about it. There is no control in classrooms, teacher moral is low. Something MUST be done!!!!

Steve Tolsons Okinawan Karate in Charlotte Hall... Money well spent.... And the plus side a few hours of exertive exercise each week..

awpitt

Main Streeter
I answered.....waiting on yours or are you just a troll posting rhetorical questions?

My original question was directed at someone else. You might have missed that. But I'll humor you.... I'd start with bringing corporal punishment back into the schools. Also, requiring parent involvement in the public schools much in the same way the private schools require as a condition of student enrollment. Also, comparing private schools to public schools is stupid. Vouchers are a pipe dream. They would work as well as giving people vouchers so they can build their own road because they're not happy with Rt 235. Private schools get to pick and choose who gets in. Public schools don't. If vouchers are in place, private schools would loose that luxury. I have three kids who went through SMCPS just fine with minimal problems and they're all successful in their adult lives. Part of any successful education requires parent involvement. And I'm not just talking about showing up on parent teacher conference day. It's much more than that.

Last edited:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
My original question was directed at someone else. You might have missed that. But I'll humor you.... I'd start with bringing corporal punishment back into the schools. Also, requiring parent involvement in the public schools much in the same way the private schools require as a condition of student enrollment. Also, comparing private schools to public schools is stupid. Vouchers are a pipe dream. They would work as well as giving people vouchers so they can build their own road because they're not happy with Rt 235. Private schools get to pick and choose who gets in. Public schools don't. If vouchers are in place, private schools would loose that luxury. I have three kids who went through SMCPS just fine with minimal problems and they're all successful in their adult lives. Part of any successful education requires parent involvement. And I'm not just talking about showing up on parent teacher conference day. It's much more than that.
Thank you.....

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'd start by replacing all current administrators, replace them with those who demand respect.

Why would you summarily replace all current administrators? Are you talking at the school level (principals, APs, etc)? Or are you talking about those at the central office? Or both? The problem at the school level is that the principals' hands are tied. Back in the day, a school principal's word was gospel. If a kid got sent to the principal's office, it was like going to captain's mast. Not like that anymore.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Part of any successful education requires parent involvement. And I'm not just talking about showing up on parent teacher conference day. It's much more than that.

FWIW, my son graduated GMHS a little over a decade ago. He turned out fine. Prior to retired, he attended school in Jacksonville, FL. Had I remained there, the outcome might have been different. SOMD schools are light years ahead in the civility department when comparing the 2 areas.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?

Got to agree with that

Why would you summarily replace all current administrators? Are you talking at the school level (principals, APs, etc)? Or are you talking about those at the central office? Or both? The problem at the school level is that the principals' hands are tied. Back in the day, a school principal's word was gospel. If a kid got sent to the principal's office, it was like going to captain's mast. Not like that anymore.

There is another problem.. Principals and school administrators today have their hands tied. There needs to be some discipline. Now the teachers and Admin needs to be watched too. I damn sure wouldn't want a teacher bashing my kids head in just because he didn't like the kid. Used to be the kid was more afraid to go home and tell the parent what went down than any punishment the teacher could hand down. Maybe we need more parenting..

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'd start by replacing all current administrators, replace them with those who demand respect.

First off you don't demand respect, you earn respect.

Second, the schools are largely controlled by the state. Baltimore dictates policy and if you want funding from the state you will comply.
You will insure your metrics meet the standards the state wants. That includes things like failures, dropouts, disciplinary actions, etc.
If you don't believe they consider race in those metric you would be kidding yourself. I'm not sure the administrators and teachers agree with what they have to do, but do so to protect the funding from the state.