Congessman from NH admits affair

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
You do realize that The Onion is a parody site and there is no Representative Gregory White from New Hampshire right?

Of course not, you are a wingnut, always on the lookout for bad things to say about Democrats. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, that would spoil the fun.

You don't think he knows that? :roflmao:

foodcritic

no...DUH

You do realize that The Onion is a parody site and there is no Representative Gregory White from New Hampshire right?

Of course not, you are a wingnut, always on the lookout for bad things to say about Democrats. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, that would spoil the fun.

Anytime you would like to match wits detective....let me know....:smack:

5thstreet

You don't think he knows that? :roflmao:

Well there are two possibilities.

1. He didn't know it was a parody and got caught.

2. He did know it was a parody and tried to deceive people knowing that most people skim through the forums.

Either way no free pass.

5thstreet

Nice try

Anytime you would like to match wits detective....let me know....:smack:

Well there are two possibilities.

1. You didn't know it was a parody and got caught.

2. You did know it was a parody and tried to deceive people knowing that most people skim through the forums.

Either way no free pass.

If number one is true, then you can of course make believe you did know, but you really are clueless. or

If this was an attempt to deceive, then you are free to make believe that I'm the clueless one while I'm doing my best to let everyone else know it was an attempt to deceive.

After years of listening to Dick Cheney and friends imply that there was a connection between 9/11 and Iraq and then claim they didn't, I've learned not allow this b.s. not to go unchallenged.

Have a nice day.

ImnoMensa

The parody itself was mildly amusing, but the thread is the really funny thing.

When the clueless 5thstreet who obviously is seriously lacking in a sense of humor decides to make a witless attack on the poster for providing a bit of innocent fun into the forum.

At first I thought maybe 5thstreet was writing his own parody of the parody, but after looking it over I believe he is really that witless.

Last edited:

5thstreet

Again nice try, but no

The parody itself was mildly amusing, but the thread is the really funny thing.

When the clueless 5thstreet who obviously is seriously lacking in a sense of humor decides to make a witless attack on the poster for providing a bit of innocent fun into the forum.

At first I thought maybe 5thstreet was writing his own parody of the parody, but after looking it over I believe he is really that witless.

If the post was meant to provide "a bit of innocent fun" it would not have been titled "Congressman from NH admits affair" and the line "Another democrat bites the dust......." in the post.

Assuming foodcritic knew it was a parody, including those items was designed to deceive the people that didn't take the time to view the video or who are reading the forums from a computer where they can't see the video into thinking this was real.

I get parody, I like it. I thought the video was funny. I get that it can be funny when people don't realize that the parody is in fact parody.

What I object to is referring to it in a way that will deceive people into thinking there is something real about it, when they may or may not see the original parody itself. I am certain that the vast majority of people who saw the title of the post did not open the post and watch the video and that there were a number of people who opened the post, saw the comment and did not view the video. Except for those who noticed it was from The Onion and know what The Onion is, they had no way to know that this was a parody and thought a Congressman had in fact admitted to an affair.

It is theoretically possible this was completely unintentional, but I just don't buy that he titled it the way he did and commented on the video the way he did unless he was trying to trick people into thinking there was something real about the subject of the video.

SamSpade

It is theoretically possible this was completely unintentional, but I just don't buy that he titled it the way he did and commented on the video the way he did unless he was trying to trick people into thinking there was something real about the subject of the video.

Are you like, new around here? Just because people don't agree with you, it doesn't make them stupid. Everyone knows what The Onion is.

"I can see Russia from my house" is still kind of funny even if she never said it. So if someone quotes it, it doesn't mean they believe she did.

5thstreet

Are you like, new around here? Just because people don't agree with you, it doesn't make them stupid. Everyone knows what The Onion is.

"I can see Russia from my house" is still kind of funny even if she never said it. So if someone quotes it, it doesn't mean they believe she did.

Everybody knows what The Onion is? Considering the number of times their parodies have been used as the basis of stories that assumed The Onion was a legitimate news source I find that difficult to believe. See "The Onion taken seriously" section here: The Onion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for some examples.The fine folks at The Onion will be glad to know of their new 100% recognition though.

And I don't think that just because someone doesn't know what the Onion is they are stupid. Most likely it means they spend more of their time doing productive things instead of on the internet unlike me.

Also, the title of the post doesn't include a reference to The Onion so someone who just read the title is left with the impression that a Congressman from New Hampshire did admit to an affair.

BTW, although the ever enlightening Ms. Palin did not say "I can see Russia from my house" , she did say "They're our next-door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska". While the real quote has the advantage of being factually correct, it is, if anything, even worse as evidence of foreign policy experience. But I digress.

SamSpade

Everybody knows what The Onion is? .

It's been around one heck of a long time. I was cruising the Onion site way back when people were surfing with Mosaic. Somewhere here on my desk I have a clipping from an article where they showed the Space Shuttle competing in NASCAR.

I think you need to get a sense of humor before you assault someone's integrity. Not everyone out there has a political axe to grind.

5thstreet

It's been around one heck of a long time. I was cruising the Onion site way back when people were surfing with Mosaic. Somewhere here on my desk I have a clipping from an article where they showed the Space Shuttle competing in NASCAR.

I think you need to get a sense of humor before you assault someone's integrity. Not everyone out there has a political axe to grind.

Yes, The Onion has been around for while. I'm glad you enjoy The Onion, I do too. Yes, many people know what it is, but not everybody.

You believe foodcritic doesn't have a political axe to grind? Here are links to a few of his posts:

http://forums.somd.com/politics/172128-michael-moore-vs-rush-limpbag.html#post3633771

http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/171361-pot-smoking-president-comes.html#post3618679

http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/168809-daschle-withdraws-nomination.html#post3568828

http://forums.somd.com/life-souther...ing-news-flash-pax-force-cut.html#post3563549

I'd say he has a political axe to grind.

He's entitled to that. Free speech and all. By the same token I have a political axe to grind. Same free speech. I try to point it out when I see something that is untrue or deceptive and it harms what I believe in.

We can agree to disagree about the implications of the facts or what is the best policy, but I insist on the facts as a starting point.

foodcritic

Yes, The Onion has been around for while. I'm glad you enjoy The Onion, I do too. Yes, many people know what it is, but not everybody.

You believe foodcritic doesn't have a political axe to grind? Here are links to a few of his posts:

http://forums.somd.com/politics/172128-michael-moore-vs-rush-limpbag.html#post3633771

http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/171361-pot-smoking-president-comes.html#post3618679

http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/168809-daschle-withdraws-nomination.html#post3568828

http://forums.somd.com/life-souther...ing-news-flash-pax-force-cut.html#post3563549

I'd say he has a political axe to grind.

He's entitled to that. Free speech and all. By the same token I have a political axe to grind. Same free speech. I try to point it out when I see something that is untrue or deceptive and it harms what I believe in.

We can agree to disagree about the implications of the facts or what is the best policy, but I insist on the facts as a starting point.

:cds::cds::cds:

This_person

BTW, although the ever enlightening Ms. Palin did not say "I can see Russia from my house" , she did say "They're our next-door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska". While the real quote has the advantage of being factually correct, it is, if anything, even worse as evidence of foreign policy experience. But I digress.
Was that where she was referencing the military bases and the Russian flyovers of Alaska? I think she was making a point that most people never considered, and that is the relative proximity of Alaska to Russia, not that the proximity was the basis of the foreign policy experience she has.

I believe she referenced those flyovers and other Russian actions as a side note to her dealings with Canada. Both of which, of course, were more than both Bill Clinton and Barry Obama had as they took office as president.

If you're going to slam based on facts, do it based on facts, not stupidity.

5thstreet

Was that where she was referencing the military bases and the Russian flyovers of Alaska? I think she was making a point that most people never considered, and that is the relative proximity of Alaska to Russia, not that the proximity was the basis of the foreign policy experience she has.

I believe she referenced those flyovers and other Russian actions as a side note to her dealings with Canada. Both of which, of course, were more than both Bill Clinton and Barry Obama had as they took office as president.

If you're going to slam based on facts, do it based on facts, not stupidity.

This is from the transcript where she made the statement:

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

Here is a link to the transcript:

ABC News: EXCERPTS: Charlie Gibson Interviews Sarah Palin

You can read it for yourself and I encourage you to do so.

To me it appears she was saying Russia is close by (the interview was in Alaska, so that is correct), that shows how small the world is (ok so far) and this gives insight into what was happening between Georgia and Russia at the time (sorry, but this is where she lost me).

If you think her point was something different, I'm willing to listen, but after reading the transcript a couple of times I think it is as illogical as I did when I first heard it.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
This is from the transcript where she made the statement:

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

You can read it for yourself and I encourage you to do so.

...and of course that was the end of the entire interview. She had nothing else to say about the negotiations the State of Alaska went through with the Russians about trawlers and whaling ships poaching in Alaskan waters. She didn't mention that her State Air National Guard had to stay on alert for Russian bombers' incursions into Alaskan airspace. She just ended the entire interview and the entire topic with that statement about an island in the Bering Strait that's within sight of Russian Territory.

Man, are you stupid!

5thstreet

...and of course that was the end of the entire interview. She had nothing else to say about the negotiations the State of Alaska went through with the Russians about trawlers and whaling ships poaching in Alaskan waters. She didn't mention that her State Air National Guard had to stay on alert for Russian bombers' incursions into Alaskan airspace. She just ended the entire interview and the entire topic with that statement about an island in the Bering Strait that's within sight of Russian Territory.

Man, are you stupid!

I notice you somehow missed that I linked back to the transcript and encouraged people to read it for themselves. Oh yeah you cut it out of the quote before making it part of your reply, must have been an accident, right?

I just read through the transcripts I found before and this expanded set of transcripts:

ABC News: Full Excerpts: Charlie Gibson Interviews GOP Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin

and I do not see anything from that interview about trawlers and Air National Guard. It is not there.

Here is a link to a conservative web site that supposedly has the full transcript:

ABC News Edited Out Key Parts of Sarah Palin Interview | NewsBusters.org

Again no trawlers or Air National Guard. I see no evidence she mentioned them during the interview where she said: "They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Do you have any evidence that she did? I will be happy to read it.

Last edited: