2 Kids Hit by Car

lisa8439

Well.....yeah.....there are going to be people that look at you like you are doing that, but how often do you see kids out and about with M&D holding one or the other's hand? When I was old enough to walk and too big for the shopping cart at the store, I was told to either hold Mommy's hand or Daddy's hand. That's not S.O.P. anymore?

Of course that is still 'S.O.P.' - but to be honest, I couldn't push a cart, look a produce, grab cans, etc. while holding a toddler's squirmy hand. :lol: I could grab groceries and push a cart one-handed until it just got too full and heavy. I agree with you that kids who have outgrown the shopping cart should know better - there is a big difference between a curious toddler using a 'leash' and a preschooler who should know better, but even then it is certainly not abuse.

I must have missed the leash discussion, but to be honest I think I got more questions about where to get one than any 'WTF' kind of stares. I didn't realize that most people thought those harnesses were 'abusive' in any way :shrug:

I can see how people might think it is weird to use one with a 5 year old, but like I said above when you have an 18 month old who walks better than they talk and they want to be 'down' while you grocery shop, then it is a good alternative to screaming and frustration.

lisa8439

:killingme When we were little, my sister (no older than 2) would run away any chance she got, so my Mom had to put her in a dog harness and chain her to the tree! Believe me, that kid could run, and no fence built could contain her!!! All it would take was one glance away and she was off!! Of course, it didn't take long for her to outgrow that stage!

:killingme

seems like 'leashes' for kids have came a long way since phone cords and dog harnesses :lol:

I agree, it doesn't take them long to outgrow the leash stage - I guess now we are enabling them with cute, soft little monkey backpacks instead of phone cords.

As for the original post - does anyone have an update on the child? It sounds like he had a serious head injury from the article... I hope he is ok.

Last edited:

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Here's a little bit more information:

Baby, father hit by SUV

Anyone read this article???

While investigating the accident, police determined the driver, Hesse, was driving the vehicle and had a suspended license, the press release said. Hesse was arrested and charged with driving on a suspended license. Dfc. Harms is continuing the investigation. The release said that the preliminary investigation has determined that no charges in reference to negligent driving will be issued at this time.

AmericanMom

Keep out!
Anyone read this article???

While investigating the accident, police determined the driver, Hesse, was driving the vehicle and had a suspended license, the press release said. Hesse was arrested and charged with driving on a suspended license. Dfc. Harms is continuing the investigation. The release said that the preliminary investigation has determined that no charges in reference to negligent driving will be issued at this time.

I guess they have to figure out if he could see the baby. Did the baby dash out from behind a parked car or from a wide open yard?

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
I guess they have to figure out if he could see the baby. Did the baby dash out from behind a parked car or from a wide open yard?

The woman shouldn't have been driving to begin with.. and I just looked her up on Md Judiciary and she was already caught once this month driving on a suspended.

Last edited:

AmericanMom

Keep out!
The woman shouldn't have been driving to begin with.. and I just looked her up on Md Judiciary and she was already caught once this month driving on a suspended.

Not arguing that, just limits what the cops can charge her with. People fly through the ranch estates, anyone that lives here knows. I don't drive yet, and when I walk to friends' there's hardly a shoulder to walk on.

TurboK9

Not arguing that, just limits what the cops can charge her with. People fly through the ranch estates, anyone that lives here knows. I don't drive yet, and when I walk to friends' there's hardly a shoulder to walk on.

:yay:

Come by some time. You can help me huck bricks at speeders once I'm fed up enough. :tantrum

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
:yay:

Come by some time. You can help me huck bricks at speeders once I'm fed up enough. :tantrum

Crotchety old man in training.:lol: (me too) I have to watch Gran Torino a few more times to get the whole, "Get off my lawn" thing down.

Seriously though we are lucky that we have as big a piece of property that we do and we live on a very low traffic dead end road. The county did see fit to put speed bumps in many years ago and I do get a particular delight from hearing the tell tale *crunchscrape* of an inattentive speeder.:evil: The street in front of our first place was like a freakin speedway, it was nothing to see 40-50 mph in a 25. Cops would park in our driveways and pick them off all day long, but not often enough.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Crotchety old man in training.:lol: (me too) I have to watch Gran Torino a few more times to get the whole, "Get off my lawn" thing down.

Seriously though we are lucky that we have as big a piece of property that we do and we live on a very low traffic dead end road. The county did see fit to put speed bumps in many years ago and I do get a particular delight from hearing the tell tale *crunchscrape* of an inattentive speeder.:evil: The street in front of our first place was like a freakin speedway, it was nothing to see 40-50 mph in a 25. Cops would park in our driveways and pick them off all day long, but not often enough.

In the TRUE Southern MD, we don't need speed bumps.. we have POTHOLES!!

NOBODY speeds down our street, not even the teenagers.

TurboK9

Crotchety old man in training.:lol:

Hey at least you didn't say 'perverted old man' in training seeing as how Annie14 is still in HS and all, LOL. Instead of "want some candy little girl" it's "Wanna throw some bricks at cars, kid?" :lmao:

Our street is SORT OF a dead end, but they still fly. Sort of, because the gate at the end is always locked (Rio Grande, into Drum Point). They come down the hill past the mainenance yard at 45+ sometimes. Usually in the evening, but have a few during the day when the kids are out too. Had an SUV come flying through the other day, and one of my kids stumbled walking along the side, and the SUV locked 'em up... wasn't close to hitting him at all, but the sideways motion of my kid must have freaked the driver, who was going too fast to begin with. Bet it was a real 'heart in the throat' moment, cuz he putted of down the road at about 10 after that, LOL.