1994 Full Size Chevy Blazer-Custom/Need Advice

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have a 1994 full size 4x4 Chevy Blazer that says Silverado and 1500 on the side - not Blazer on it anywhere (not sure why). Fully loaded, has a custom paint job that is showing age with clear coat coming off around the edges ... hey was a NICE ride in 1994! I can take pictures to post of it tomorrow. I had a tow hitch and a brake controller installed on it.

I couldn't get it to pass emissions in the Spring, they gave me an extension, after replacing a hose to part of the emissions equipment I take it back and they say it's smoking too much to let me test. So now I am being told by the shop (trustworthy guy) that the engine is using oil and it could be pricey to keep digging to find the cause. I had him stop looking after he pulled the left valve cover and said he didn't see anything obvious.

I have needed a p/u to pull my horse trailer anyway, so I am thinking to sell the SUV. How much value do I lose by selling a vehicle that won't pass emissions and needs some work? The trans was replaced about 4 years ago ($3,400) and I just put a new Flowmaster exhaust system on it recently. It has a 5.7L V-8 engine with just over 200k miles.

It runs, it just smokes and won't pass emissions. So how much should I look to discount from the value for its emissions/oil burning issues?

wineo

loving life
I really need a car, I have been walking to work and bumming rides. We only have one vehicle and hubby has to take that. I only work 2 miles from home... This might be just what I need for now.

Be kind on the pricing....:popcorn:

E

EmptyTimCup

The trans was replaced about 4 years ago ($3,400) and I just put a new Flowmaster exhaust system on it recently. It has a 5.7L V-8 engine with just over 200k miles.

It runs, it just smokes and won't pass emissions. So how much should I look to discount from the value for its emissions/oil burning issues?

:flowers:

You are not going to get much for a 15 yr old chevy

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
hmm

maybe valve stem seals

a stock 350 does not cost that much ........ maybe installation a few bucks more but it could end up being another 3500

350 / 290 HP

https://www.google.com/#q=350+crate...w.,cf.osb&fp=eebd006aafa6d1c&biw=1578&bih=757

arkie spent 3400 on a trans :faint: maybe time to go in for the pound and put an engine in

True but you put $2000.00 in a 94 with 200,000 on the rest of the vehicle when it isn't going to be worth that....Not bashing your truck but think about it....

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
First Mistake: GM = General Malfunctions.

Get a 205 or 207 engine, have it rebuilt and balanced and blueprinted.

Get new alternator, A/C compressor, Fuel Injection/Turbo System (this is the time to do it),
and a performance package for the intake system. By the time you're done, the engine will be a jewel, in literal terms because of price.

A well-done 205/207 delivers decent gas mileage AND performance. Otherwise, sell the truck and buy a (1) Dodge or (2) Toyota truck

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Fixed....Not trying to be mean but it is a reality...

I doubt the engine is in need of replacement, but there is something going on for the smoke to be an issue. It sounds really good when it's running, doesn't miss or spit at all (I think I used the right terms?) .....

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Fixed....Not trying to be mean but it is a reality...

I hear people say how a solid engine is good for at least 350-400k miles - is that bad information?

I will look up the value again, but I believe what I saw before said in the neighborhood of $3-4k. I paid about $22k for it at 3 years old and about 34k miles.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I doubt the engine is in need of replacement, but there is something going on for the smoke to be an issue. It sounds really good when it's running, doesn't miss or spit at all (I think I used the right terms?) .....

Quite possibly just needs a set of rings or valve seals...That might take care of the smokin...With 200,000 miles you may want to go in and replace rod bearings & cam bearings too...It still means takin the engine out and pretty much overhaulin it....

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Quite possibly just needs a set of rings or valve seals...That might take care of the smokin...With 200,000 miles you may want to go in and replace rod bearings & cam bearings too...It still means takin the engine out and pretty much overhaulin it....

If I sell it, I'll certainly be honest with whoever is interested in buying it. I'll tell them what I know. I do believe the SUV does still have value, but how much? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

If someone liked it (no rust), then they may want to do an overhaul on the engine if they found it needed that. With a new-ish transmission, and a new exhaust system, not to mention many parts being relatively new (8 year warranty on new battery) and recently replaced radiator also. Just seems like such a waste to not address the smoking issue.

Maybe I need to see who I know that is into engines that can take a look at it?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
The sunlight and shadows from the tree make the colors look a bit odd but this will do to show the overall color/condition.

Attachments

• SUV1994Chev4x4.jpg
    SUV1994Chev4x4.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 206

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

I am seriously hoping I can find someone who can look into the issue for me and figure out what the problem is, and fix it, w/o it costing me over $1k - is that unrealistic? I am hoping the issue is an easy fix, and not costly, but if it's a serious problem, how much would an entire over-haul cost?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
First Mistake: GM = General Malfunctions.

Get a 205 or 207 engine, have it rebuilt and balanced and blueprinted.

Get new alternator, A/C compressor, Fuel Injection/Turbo System (this is the time to do it),
and a performance package for the intake system. By the time you're done, the engine will be a jewel, in literal terms because of price.

A well-done 205/207 delivers decent gas mileage AND performance. Otherwise, sell the truck and buy a (1) Dodge or (2) Toyota truck

Actually I am looking at a 1994 GMC p/u (it's not as good-looking as my SUV) as a tow vehicle for my horse trailer. Yeah I know GMC ewww, but the guy who is offering it to me for $2k just put almost that much into it. I just heard from my trusted mechanic (getting it checked out) it needs a new master brake cylinder cap, a few light bulbs, and wiper blades to pass inspection. The mechanic said if I don't buy this truck at that price, he will. The engine only has 102k original miles (original owner and it was a 3rd vehicle for them). Not a bad deal but it's just downright ugly. Interesting part is it has the same size engine as my SUV (5.7L) and the dash is almost identical to my SUV - short-fall is the GMC is only a 4x2, SUV is 4x4), and the GMC lacks most of the power features my SUV has.

I really didn't want to end up with 3 vehicles but I may .....

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Actually I am looking at a 1994 GMC p/u (it's not as good-looking as my SUV) as a tow vehicle for my horse trailer. Yeah I know GMC ewww, but the guy who is offering it to me for $2k just put almost that much into it. I just heard from my trusted mechanic (getting it checked out) it needs a new master brake cylinder cap, a few light bulbs, and wiper blades to pass inspection. The mechanic said if I don't buy this truck at that price, he will. The engine only has 102k original miles (original owner and it was a 3rd vehicle for them). Not a bad deal but it's just downright ugly. Interesting part is it has the same size engine as my SUV (5.7L) and the dash is almost identical to my SUV - short-fall is the GMC is only a 4x2, SUV is 4x4), and the GMC lacks most of the power features my SUV has.

I really didn't want to end up with 3 vehicles but I may .....

God bless you and your mechanic. Let him buy the silly thing. Look at setting up your SUV for towing - drivetrain and brakes and springs and shocks and all. In the long run, it will hurt you less than another vehicle.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
God bless you and your mechanic. Let him buy the silly thing. Look at setting up your SUV for towing - drivetrain and brakes and springs and shocks and all. In the long run, it will hurt you less than another vehicle.

Interesting you would say that. The more I thought about parting with my SUV, the sadder I was about the whole thing. I think what I'll do is put money into the SUV for emissions repairs up to whatever the minimum is to get a temporary waiver, go get the waiver from MVA, then spend the next year or so getting work done to my beloved SUV - I can't believe I would love a vehicle so much as I do this one.

I agree, someone told me that I needed the proper springs/shocks. Because of the short wheel base, I end up with the front end lifting up while the rear drags down. With the proper springs/shocks, I hear I won't have that issue. I already have the Reese brake controller so do I need different brakes on the SUV?