J Chan - off the Movie watch list

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Jackie Chan back in action, branding US more corrupt than China

Action star Jackie Chan has once again sparked controversy by branding America the world's "most corrupt" country in a TV interview.

His comments were slammed by The Washington Post's foreign affairs blogger Max Fisher as "anti-American" and a reflection of China's insecurity about itself.

Chan told Phoenix TV that China has been bullied by international powers for a long time and only began making progress in recent years.

Chan added that while China has a corruption problem, so do other nations, including America.

"If you talk about corruption, the entire world - America - has no corruption?" said the actor.

He went on to say America is "the most corrupt [country] in the world" - not China. "Where does this great breakdown [of corruption] come from? It started exactly from the [rest of the] world, the United States … If our own countrymen don't support our country, who will?" he said.

maybe he is right ......

....... China is OPPRESSIVE, not necessarily Corrupt

PsyOps

Pixelated
Action star Jackie Chan has once again sparked controversy by branding America the world's "most corrupt" country in a TV interview.

maybe he is right ......

....... China is OPPRESSIVE, not necessarily Corrupt

Perhaps he ought to give back all those millions he's made through such corrupt means.

:bigwhoop:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Perhaps he ought to give back all those millions he's made through such corrupt means.

:bigwhoop:

By doing what he had to do to make those millions, he is in a perfect position to know that which he speaks of.

The American way is, of course, to shoot messengers.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That America is Corrupt ?

Imagine, if you will, what a guy like Chan has to go through to do a movie.

It's a very small step from the movies to seeing how things really work in this nation. You look at TARP. Underneath it all, it is merely, and simply, corruption on the largest scale. We make excuses for it, but, boiled down, taking my money to save all those ego's, those lords of the universe, was a corrupt act.

Our elected leaders spend much of their official career auditioning for whom they're going to go to work for, who to cash in with, when they leave politics.

TV shows like the Soprano's illustrate through drama how a lot of little things work in congested areas so, it's not just big business.

I can't comment on how corrupt we are, our global ranking but, it seems obvious there is plenty to go around in the US.

Agreed?

:popcorn:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It's a very small step from the movies to seeing how things really work in this nation. You look at TARP. Underneath it all, it is merely, and simply, corruption on the largest scale.

I can't comment on how corrupt we are, our global ranking but, it seems obvious there is plenty to go around in the US.

Agreed?

I doubt Seriously Chan was talking about Corruption ....... TARP was a bail out of Wall Street - Save the Bankers - nothing MORE ... if you want to call that Corrupt OK ....... GM - was a UNION Bailout .....

Corruption to me is - Gov. Officials [Health Dept. - Zoning Inspectors / Regulators - Police] - shaking down Business Owners and Citizens for money or other bribes to do NORMAL Business - like other countries where you cannot get a DOG house built without paying Bureaucrat for the privilege

SamSpade

Agreed?

I'm not exactly a world traveler, but from my short experience and that of my family, you'd be astonished at the kind of crap that is considered normal around the globe, *especially* with law enforcement. YOU hear a siren of a cop going down the street, and you think "man, I hope they get the SOB" - in other countries, they hide. They know the cops are desperately corrupt. In Russia, everyday folks were *shocked* at the idea that you could just go to court or go online and pay a fine or more shocked, sometimes you'd just get a *warning*. Their response - "don't you have to PAY them?". "Pay them what?". "Pay them to go away". They had no concept. If a cop pulled you over, you WERE going to be extorted.

In the US, they're not ideal. It's not what we'd want, and it's not what we'd like to think exists from what we were taught in civics class. But you don't live in fear of your government. You don't live in a nation where you're less afraid of an invading army than you are of your own leaders.

This is *CHINA*. They may have a successful economy, but this nation has a history of oppression that staggers the mind, and is one of the few Communist nations still functioning as one.

I think Jackie Chan must have either been misunderstood - or has himself not experienced the kind of corruption that people experience every day in China.

SamSpade

Corruption to me is - Gov. Officials [Health Dept. - Zoning Inspectors / Regulators - Police] - shaking down Business Owners and Citizens for money or other bribes to do NORMAL Business - like other countries where you cannot get a DOG house built without paying Bureaucrat for the privilege

Yep. That's how I understand "corruption". When the people who are supposed to be observing or enforcing the law go around it, they are corrupt. When civilians are supposed to be following it but don't, they're just lawbreakers. When governments SEE this - but wink at it - government is corrupt.

It's irritating that you can't get a dog house built without the approval of a POA - but it's usually something you signed on for.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
They know the cops are desperately corrupt.

If a cop pulled you over, you WERE going to be extorted.

This is *CHINA*. They may have a successful economy, but this nation has a history of oppression that staggers the mind, and is one of the few Communist nations still functioning as one.

:yeahthat:

Chan lives among the Elite in China ...... a Life of Relative Freedom - as a farmer in the provinces how free he is

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm not exactly a world traveler, but from my short experience and that of my family, you'd be astonished at the kind of crap that is considered normal around the globe, *especially* with law enforcement. .

I hear you. Buddy of mine way back in the early 80's, crossed into Mexico from Southern California and, first thing, pulled over. Took most of their cash and their cameras.