Hot Tub / Jacuzzi / Whirlpool

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I recently bought a plug and play inflatable hot tub spa for under $400. I wasn't sure I would like it, but I love it.

However, with cold weather approaching, my little plug and play wasn't meant to be outside in temps below 40 degrees. :frown: And my husband refuses to take out the couch and place the spa in the middle of the living room.

So I told my husband I want a real one. One that I can operate all year. :dance:

The plug and play does use chemicals and filters and such, so I'm aware of all that.

However, I do have bunches of questions. Is it better to get one from a dealer versus ordering one from online? If a dealer, who would you recommend? Do I need a professional electrician to set it up? If so, who would you recommend? Do I need a specific slab or something to put it on? What kind of costs am I looking at? Are there other things I need to consider?

Thanks!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I recently bought a plug and play inflatable hot tub spa for under $400. I wasn't sure I would like it, but I love it.

However, with cold weather approaching, my little plug and play wasn't meant to be outside in temps below 40 degrees. :frown: And my husband refuses to take out the couch and place the spa in the middle of the living room.

So I told my husband I want a real one. One that I can operate all year. :dance:

The plug and play does use chemicals and filters and such, so I'm aware of all that.

However, I do have bunches of questions. Is it better to get one from a dealer versus ordering one from online? If a dealer, who would you recommend? Do I need a professional electrician to set it up? If so, who would you recommend? Do I need a specific slab or something to put it on? What kind of costs am I looking at? Are there other things I need to consider?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure we got ours on ebay. We had to have an electrician hook it up. We had a slab poured, but I don't remember if it was because we had to. I think so? The company you buy from will tell you everything you need for the unit that you buy.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'm not sure if it is better to go through a dealer or online, I imagine online is less expensive, but with a dealer you have a real live person you can go yell at if things go wrong during installation. If you go with dealer, April's Pool's and Spa's is the way to go. She is great.

Yes, you will need an electrician to come out and run the line for electric. That can get pricey.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'm pretty sure we got ours on ebay. We had to have an electrician hook it up. We had a slab poured, but I don't remember if it was because we had to. I think so? The company you buy from will tell you everything you need for the unit that you buy.
Ah....I didn't even think of ebay.

I'm not sure if it is better to go through a dealer or online, I imagine online is less expensive, but with a dealer you have a real live person you can go yell at if things go wrong during installation. If you go with dealer, April's Pool's and Spa's is the way to go. She is great.

Yes, you will need an electrician to come out and run the line for electric. That can get pricey.

Christy her website is very helpful - thanks.

Chris0nllyn

My neighbor wants to give theirs away for free.

Be prepared to spend big money on maintenance and increased electrical bills.

imaref

I got mine at a hot tub store in Annapolis, but regardless of where you get yours I would highly recommend that you get one that runs on a 220v line vs. 110v. A 220v one will stay at a constant temperature and it runs about $40 a month in electricity costs (higher in the really cold months). I buy the chemicals online as well as the filters. If you opt for a 110v tub (which is sold by most home improvement stores, sam's club etc.), prepare for waiting a LONG time for it to warm up, and once you get in and it's warmed up it will lose temp very quickly. The house current (110v) just can't keep up in the late fall/winter temperatures. A 110v tub just plugs into your regular house outlet plug. For the 220v tub you will need to have an electrician run a new line to your switchbox but it's well worth it.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
My neighbor wants to give theirs away for free.

Be prepared to spend big money on maintenance and increased electrical bills.

See, I think people say big maintenance and increased electrical is when they don't use it every day. It's not a beneficial thing in their lives, just something they bought and rarely use. The plug and play uses the same chemicals and filters and etc and it's actually nothing in the grand scheme. Electrical increase, yes, but I actually think it's less if you are using it every day and maintaining a constant temp. Plus, imho, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than getting a massage every day. :dance:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I got mine at a hot tub store in Annapolis, but regardless of where you get yours I would highly recommend that you get one that runs on a 220v line vs. 110v. A 220v one will stay at a constant temperature and it runs about $40 a month in electricity costs (higher in the really cold months). I buy the chemicals online as well as the filters. If you opt for a 110v tub (which is sold by most home improvement stores, sam's club etc.), prepare for waiting a LONG time for it to warm up, and once you get in and it's warmed up it will lose temp very quickly. The house current (110v) just can't keep up in the late fall/winter temperatures. A 110v tub just plugs into your regular house outlet plug. For the 220v tub you will need to have an electrician run a new line to your switchbox but it's well worth it.

Thank you!

Chris0nllyn

See, I think people say big maintenance and increased electrical is when they don't use it every day. It's not a beneficial thing in their lives, just something they bought and rarely use. The plug and play uses the same chemicals and filters and etc and it's actually nothing in the grand scheme. Electrical increase, yes, but I actually think it's less if you are using it every day and maintaining a constant temp. Plus, imho, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than getting a massage every day. :dance:

True, but any electrical heating element = $$$$

Keeping it a constant temp will only increase the electric bill, and if the tub isn't well insulated and has a cheap cover, they lose heat quickly, meaning the element has to kick on and off all the time to maintain temp. Newer tubs have much better insulation, but everyone I've ever talked to that own them say they are fun for awhile in the beginning, then become a pain. I looked into getting my neighbor's tub (can't beat free), but didn't feel like going through all the other trouble.

Not trying to talk you out of it, though.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
True, but any electrical heating element = $$$$

Keeping it a constant temp will only increase the electric bill, and if the tub isn't well insulated and has a cheap cover, they lose heat quickly, meaning the element has to kick on and off all the time to maintain temp. Newer tubs have much better insulation, but everyone I've ever talked to that own them say they are fun for awhile in the beginning, then become a pain. I looked into getting my neighbor's tub (can't beat free), but didn't feel like going through all the other trouble.

Not trying to talk you out of it, though.
Well, you won't. :neener: I need an electrician though.

I'd actually like you to get your neighbor's free hot tub for me! :jet:

Stew

I was thinking about getting a hot tub for my sunroom but after reading some of these comments.... nevermind!

Chris0nllyn

Well, you won't. :neener: I need an electrician though.

I'd actually like you to get your neighbor's free hot tub for me! :jet:

It's pretty simple to run the panel yourself, but I know an electrician if you need one.

If you're serious, I'll talk to them and shoot you a PM when I do.

edinsomd

Had one. After four years (just past the warrantee end date, go figure) it started to leak like a sieve. Fun while it lasted, but never again.

I had one for almost 20 years. Got it in NY, used it for years, put it on a truck and brought it down with me to MD. It finally gave up and rotted thru in a few places, replaced the computer board 2 or 3 times, heating coil twice. Over the course of 20 years, that's not bad. Cut it up with a sawzall and took it to the dump.

Costs about $30 extra per month. If you get the chemistry right, very little maintenance. Drain, clean and refill once every 6-8 weeks.

I miss having one, but it's not in the cards right now. It was just the best for soaking out those sore spots on a clammy cold March night.

CIMG0747.JPG CIMG0756.JPG CIMG0758.JPG

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
So I was going to send you a PM about one, but your box is all full and stuff...
I had no idea I had a full box. :jet: It's been cleaned.

I had one for almost 20 years. Got it in NY, used it for years, put it on a truck and brought it down with me to MD. It finally gave up and rotted thru in a few places, replaced the computer board 2 or 3 times, heating coil twice. Over the course of 20 years, that's not bad. Cut it up with a sawzall and took it to the dump.

Costs about $30 extra per month. If you get the chemistry right, very little maintenance. Drain, clean and refill once every 6-8 weeks.

I miss having one, but it's not in the cards right now. It was just the best for soaking out those sore spots on a clammy cold March night.

View attachment 104846 View attachment 104847 View attachment 104848

Wow GW, you bring new meaning to use it until it falls apart. :lmao:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

Thanks!
You can buy mine. It's only 2 years old and used a few times. It is filled and running if you'd like to come and see it.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Thanks!

We have our 300 gallon Soft Tub sitting on the patio slab and plug it into the 120 volt outlet that's already there. The Soft Tub, being built around a foam frame, keeps the water hot all year round by circulating the water around the circulation pump (not heating elements) and costs less than $10 a month in electricity in the winter. Have to keep the chlorine level up and change the water about every three months. If a four-person tub is too much, there's a two-person size but I'd stick with the 300 gallon size. We've moved this one six times during a military career.

Winter snow is the bestest time to be in the hot tub, especially after midnight when most of the traffic on surrounding roads is minimal and any neighbors are safely tucked in their beds.

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You can buy mine. It's only 2 years old and used a few times. It is filled and running if you'd like to come and see it.
Thanks Chasey.

We have our 300 gallon Soft Tub sitting on the patio slab and plug it into the 120 volt outlet that's already there. The Soft Tub, being built around a foam frame, keeps the water hot all year round by circulating the water around the circulation pump (not heating elements) and costs less than $10 a month in electricity in the winter. Have to keep the chlorine level up and change the water about every three months. If a four-person tub is too much, there's a two-person size but I'd stick with the 300 gallon size. We've moved this one six times during a military career.

Winter snow is the bestest time to be in the hot tub, especially after midnight when most of the traffic on surrounding roads is minimal and any neighbors are safely tucked in their beds.
So you do operate it in the winter? Does the pump work well in the winter? My little plug and play isn't supposed to be operated in temps below 40 degrees. And I like the idea of having another plug in without having to hire an electrician.