30,417,609 Paid $0 Income Taxes, Got $89.6 Billion Back

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Oh? Do tell more. What is the role of government? This will be fun.
The sole role of government is to maintain the monopoly on violence.

Actually where I'm saying you're wrong is in stating that the government has a monopoly on violence. You can't think of a single instance of perfectly legal, non-governmental violence? In a ring or an octagon perhaps, maybe on a field or a court? Put your mind to it and I'm sure you can come up with at least one.
As far as "What is the role of government, I'll leave that to others who enjoyed their civics lessons.

Starman

Actually where I'm saying you're wrong is in stating that the government has a monopoly on violence. You can't think of a single instance of perfectly legal, non-governmental violence? In a ring or an octagon perhaps, maybe on a field or a court?

I wouldn’t call athletic competitions between voluntary parties violence, but whatever mental gymnastics you want to engage in is fine with me.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I wouldn’t call athletic competitions between voluntary parties violence, but whatever mental gymnastics you want to engage in is fine with me.

have you ever watched MMA? Can you understand why people think you're a moron.

Starman

have you ever watched MMA? Can you understand why people think you're a moron.

Like I said, I wouldn’t call athletic competitions between voluntary parties violence, but whatever mental gymnastics you want to engage in is fine with me.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Oh? Do tell more. What is the role of government? This will be fun.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Starman

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

And all that is accomplished voluntarily by "we the people" and not at the point of a gun, yes?

glhs837

Power with Control

Here, I'll make it simple for Starman. Now, to be fair, most of those things do require the equipment, willingness, and ability to do violence. But roads, schools, library's and other service type things, other than the threat or performing violence on you if you don't pitch in, have no connection with a monopoly on violence.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Like I said, I wouldn’t call athletic competitions between voluntary parties violence, but whatever mental gymnastics you want to engage in is fine with me.

I think we've come to the real issue here, you don't understand the term violence. You should have just said so in the beginning.
behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works !

It is exactly how our current "debt based" monetary system works. I'm going to try to make it simple for you to understand. If there is 100 billion dollars spread out over the land, some being spent, some being saved, some being invested, it is all debt. That 100 billion dollars could likely represent 15,000,000 different loans. Could be more, could be less. But that 100 billion dollars still represents debt. In all, the broad amount of US debt money in circulation including physical currency, coin, and in digital form, is about $90.3 Trillion. That entire amount represents debt from loans, borrowed, from the past. We are all spending the proceeds from loans. Using debt as money. So all all that "money" you have, be it in checking, savings, pants pocket, some investment vehicle, represents someone's debt. And it all belongs to the banks. Hence the name of the dollar right at the top, Federal Reserve Note.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

It is exactly how our current "debt based" monetary system works. I'm going to try to make it simple for you to understand. If there is 100 billion dollars spread out over the land, some being spent, some being saved, some being invested, it is all debt. That 100 billion dollars could likely represent 15,000,000 different loans. Could be more, could be less. But that 100 billion dollars still represents debt. In all, the broad amount of US debt money in circulation including physical currency, coin, and in digital form, is about $90.3 Trillion. That entire amount represents debt from loans, borrowed, from the past. We are all spending the proceeds from loans. Using debt as money. So all all that "money" you have, be it in checking, savings, pants pocket, some investment vehicle, represents someone's debt. And it all belongs to the banks. Hence the name of the dollar right at the top, Federal Reserve Note.

And if you convert it to precious metal?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The sole role of government in society is to maintain the monopoly on violence. Of course armed agents will show up at your door with the intent of locking you in a cage. If that weren't the case, then one could say that taxes are voluntary, and you know that's not the case.

Don't think this was meant in a literal sense. But governments do operate on intimidation, fear, coercion, extortion, and when necessary, through the application of unjust laws, under the guise of due process, will then use force and violence when resistance is met by an unwilling targeted individual. Look to property tax sales as an example. Your home, paid off through a lifetime of working, where one sleeps, rests, raises and shelters one's family, is taxed. The home doesn't work or produce anything, it just, is. But an arbitrary value is placed upon it by governments and a tax is applied as a percentage. The home owner is forced, through fear, intimidation, coercion, extortion, to pay that amount to the government. Else, when all is said and done, the Sheriff, with a handful of deputies, will come, because the home owner stands his ground against an unjust government action, and if necessary, through force and violence, remove the owner of the family home. Then, happily allow the new owner, who will abide by that governments rule, and bought it cheaply, for the taxes due, to move into their new home. That, by definition is tyranny: arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; undue severity or harshness; a cruel or harsh act or proceeding; an arbitrary, oppressive, or tyrannical action.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

And if you convert it to precious metal?

Then you have something of value. Recognized the world over. Untraceable. Why do you think banks themselves hold gold and silver bullion in their vaults? Because it is real money.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Don't think this was meant in a literal sense. But governments do operate on intimidation, fear, coercion, extortion, and when necessary, through the application of unjust laws, under the guise of due process, will then use force and violence when resistance is met by an unwilling targeted individual. Look to property tax sales as an example. Your home, paid off through a lifetime of working, where one sleeps, rests, raises and shelters one's family, is taxed. The home doesn't work or produce anything, it just, is. But an arbitrary value is placed upon it by governments and a tax is applied as a percentage. The home owner is forced, through fear, intimidation, coercion, extortion, to pay that amount to the government. Else, when all is said and done, the Sheriff, with a handful of deputies, will come, because the home owner stands his ground against an unjust government action, and if necessary, through force and violence, remove the owner of the family home. Then, happily allow the new owner, who will abide by that governments rule, and bought it cheaply, for the taxes due, to move into their new home. That, by definition is tyranny: arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; undue severity or harshness; a cruel or harsh act or proceeding; an arbitrary, oppressive, or tyrannical action.

I know he was taking literary license here. When it was pointed out to him he decided to double down on his stupidity by trying to say that two people trying their best to beat each other unconscious was not violence in action. Aside from that, as has been pointed out by others, the role of government is varied as are its mechanisms of enforcement.

Starman

I know he was taking literary license here. When it was pointed out to him he decided to double down on his stupidity by trying to say that two people trying their best to beat each other unconscious was not violence in action. Aside from that, as has been pointed out by others, the role of government is varied as are its mechanisms of enforcement.

Sure but regardless the mechanism of enforcement ultimately it depends on taking money from citizenry at gunpoint.

That is the point.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Sure but regardless the mechanism of enforcement ultimately it depends on taking money from citizenry at gunpoint.

That is the point.

Generally no, very few people have guns drawn on them. In fact you are much more likely to have a gun pointed at you by someone not government related. None of this really matters to what my point was, that the government having or wanting a monopoly on violence.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If I may ...

The home owner is forced, through fear, intimidation, coercion, extortion, to pay that amount to the government. Else, when all is said and done, the Sheriff, with a handful of deputies, will come, because the home owner stands his ground against an unjust government action, and if necessary, through force and violence, remove the owner of the family home.

:yay:

officeguy

If I may ...

Then you have something of value. Recognized the world over. Untraceable. Why do you think banks themselves hold gold and silver bullion in their vaults? Because it is real money.

Gold has no intrinsic value beyond a couple of $$ per pound to account for uses in electronics. Gold only has a value because others want to give you money for it. It's no different from a dollar note or a treasury bond.