Yet More Car Crashes

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
I haven't seen any stats, but it sure seems like the number of vehicle accidents in the tri-county area is way up in recent years. In addition to this one in Calvert, there were 3 separate crashes at the same time on Route 5 Southbound in front of Lighthouse Liquors in Charlotte Hall around 5:49 pm yesterday...

On June 17, 2015 at approximately 5:08pm, a Jeep SUV operated by Janae Gatchell, of Indian Head, Charles County, was traveling E/B MD Rt 231 W/O Sixes Rd in Calvert Co, MD. For unknown reason, the Jeep crossed the center line and collided off-set head-on with a GMC Sierra operated by Barbara Shields, of Tracys Landing, Anne Arundel County, and occupied by Thomas Rymer, of Chesapeake Beach, Calvert County. After the collision, the GMC traveled off the E/B side of the roadway and collided with a wooden fence and came to a final rest in a small wooded area. The Jeep then collided/sideswiped a Honda Civic operated by Matthew Cumers, of Lusby, Calvert County. The Honda Civic was traveling directly behind the GMC Sierra. After this collision, the Jeep rolled and the operator was ejected. The Jeep came to a final rest in a ditch on the E/B side of the road. Ms. Gatchell, the operator of the Jeep was transported to Prince George's Hospital by MSP Trooper 7. The occupants of the GMC were transported by ambulance to Calvert Memorial Hospital. Mr. Rymer was released from the hospital. The conditions of the other drivers are unknown at this time. The cause of the crash is still under investigation.

KDENISE977

I haven't seen any stats, but it sure seems like the number of vehicle accidents in the tri-county area is way up in recent years. In addition to this one in Calvert, there were 3 separate crashes at the same time on Route 5 Southbound in front of Lighthouse Liquors in Charlotte Hall around 5:49 pm yesterday...

I don't understand all the accidents in that area, drive straight people, stop at the light, drive more straight again??? I'm in that area every day after work and it's crazy.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don't understand all the accidents in that area, drive straight people, stop at the light, drive more straight again??? I'm in that area every day after work and it's crazy.

the prize patrol [ MSP and St M Police ] was out on 5 / 235 headed south before the split at the WAWA
handing out tax bills this morning [aka speeding tickets to poor sods trying to get to work]

tommyjo

the prize patrol [ MSP and St M Police ] was out on 5 / 235 headed south before the split at the WAWA
handing out tax bills this morning [aka speeding tickets to poor sods trying to get to work]

This is the exact way to categorize this activity, because, as we all know, speed has no impact on accidents at all...speed does not reduce reaction time in order to avoid an accident and speed certainly has been shown to not increase the severity of injuries in the event of a crash. Everyone should be allowed to drive just as damn fast as they please, right?

You mean in their KNOWN speed enforcement location of "downtown" Mechanicsville? They usually use the dirt parking lot of the upholstery place, but I have seen them in the lot at Hills Club Rd (Vintage Values/Fiesta Cafe) and in the lot at the ex-used car lot, soon to be Mobile 1 lube joint.

72Maxim

You mean in their KNOWN speed enforcement location of "downtown" Mechanicsville? They usually use the dirt parking lot of the upholstery place, but I have seen them in the lot at Hills Club Rd (Vintage Values/Fiesta Cafe) and in the lot at the ex-used car lot, soon to be Mobile 1 lube joint.

don't speed-don't worry

bilbur

don't speed-don't worry

This is the way I feel about it. I speed, and if I get pulled over I take the ticket, say thank you, pay it, and move on. Getting a ticket for knowingly breaking a law is not a new thing, either don't speed or chance getting a ticket.

glhs837

Power with Control
This is the exact way to categorize this activity, because, as we all know, speed has no impact on accidents at all...speed does not reduce reaction time in order to avoid an accident and speed certainly has been shown to not increase the severity of injuries in the event of a crash. Everyone should be allowed to drive just as damn fast as they please, right?

What we do know, thanks to the NHTSA, is that speed is the primary cause of around 3% of all crashes. You want to make streets safer, why not increase enforcement of the things that actually cause crashes? Like distraction? Failure to yield? Oddly enough, most dedicated traffic enforcement focusses on speed. I agree, if you have a place where speed causes crashes, enforce the hell out of it. But if you have a place where failure to yield or distraction is the cause, go after that.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

:killingme Absolutely correct, reaction time is reaction time regardless of speed. Now distance traveled during reaction time increases with speed.

bilbur

:killingme Absolutely correct, reaction time is reaction time regardless of speed. Now distance traveled during reaction time increases with speed.

While this is true, the faster you go the less time you have to react to unforeseen situations like deer or people pulling out in front of you.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
What we do know, thanks to the NHTSA, is that speed is the primary cause of around 3% of all crashes. You want to make streets safer, why not increase enforcement of the things that actually cause crashes? Like distraction? Failure to yield? Oddly enough, most dedicated traffic enforcement focusses on speed. I agree, if you have a place where speed causes crashes, enforce the hell out of it. But if you have a place where failure to yield or distraction is the cause, go after that.

This I see everyday. I was **thisclose** to being t-boned at the circle in Chaptico earlier this week. I laid on the horn and the driver threw their hands in the air like I did something wrong. Me being hit is coming, I just know it.

Grumpy

This I see everyday. I was **thisclose** to being t-boned at the circle in Chaptico earlier this week. I laid on the horn and the driver threw their hands in the air like I did something wrong. Me being hit is coming, I just know it.

They put a traffic circle in Calvert about 6 months ago, its amazing how many people think that the cars in the circle have to yield to cars entering the circle.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
They put a traffic circle in Calvert about 6 months ago, its amazing how many people think that the cars in the circle have to yield to cars entering the circle.

Exactly. They come off the main roads at full speed. They are also putting on in at Clements intersection. Now my odds will double!!

Beta

Smile!
Speaking of accidents, last night was ridiculous. It was after 9pm and I was in Calvert trying to get to St. Mary's, so since they said the bridge would either be closed or severely delayed, I went north to PF. On the way up, somewhere between Ball Rd and Broomes Island Rd, there was an accident. Luckily it was at an intersection so the police detoured us and we could swing around it without too much difficulty. but then there was an accident JUST BEFORE THE BRIDGE, so 231 was essentially closed. That meant both bridges out of Calvert were a mess. I think I was only stuck for 30-40 minutes, but a lot of other people I feel were stuck much longer. :ohwell:

glhs837

Power with Control
While this is true, the faster you go the less time you have to react to unforeseen situations like deer or people pulling out in front of you.

but sadly, according to the data, it's not usually that people would have avoided the crash if only they were going slower, but rather than they would avoid the crash by being aware of the threat before impact. Far more crashes caused by simply not being in the game at all.

Grumpy

Speaking of accidents, last night was ridiculous. It was after 9pm and I was in Calvert trying to get to St. Mary's, so since they said the bridge would either be closed or severely delayed, I went north to PF. On the way up, somewhere between Ball Rd and Broomes Island Rd, there was an accident. Luckily it was at an intersection so the police detoured us and we could swing around it without too much difficulty. but then there was an accident JUST BEFORE THE BRIDGE, so 231 was essentially closed. That meant both bridges out of Calvert were a mess. I think I was only stuck for 30-40 minutes, but a lot of other people I feel were stuck much longer. :ohwell:

Accident on 231 was at 5pm..sat in middle of Benedict bridge from 520 until 630 before traffic was allowed through. After traffic cleared, they closed again for accident reconstruction(was told someone died, but haven't seen confirmation). Sister in law got stuck in 2nd back-up and she didn't get home until 1030 after leaving work at 8 in Hughesville.

Beta

Smile!
Accident on 231 was at 5pm..sat in middle of Benedict bridge from 520 until 630 before traffic was allowed through. After traffic cleared, they closed again for accident reconstruction(was told someone died, but haven't seen confirmation). Sister in law got stuck in 2nd back-up and she didn't get home until 1030 after leaving work at 8 in Hughesville.

Maybe there was an additional accident then (in addition to the road closure) -- I saw a car towed and there were police officers and tow trucks going back and forth. I'd be surprised if they left the car that long, but who knows.

It would have been nice for them to put up a sign SOMEWHERE if the second closure was planned. :doh:

Does that mean the TJ bridge was open last night? Or did they just allow both bridges to essentially get shut down? :confused:

don't speed-don't worry

This is the way I feel about it. I speed, and if I get pulled over I take the ticket, say thank you, pay it, and move on. Getting a ticket for knowingly breaking a law is not a new thing, either don't speed or chance getting a ticket.

Exactly. Don't speed if you don't want to pay the ticket. the 2 places I am extra-vigilant about my speed are Mechanicsville and Forest Park up by Waldorf. Why? Because they are both 45 MPH stretches of an otherwise 55 MPH state road and are thus both speed enforcement zones.