Yet More Car Crashes

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
the 2 places I am extra-vigilant about my speed are Mechanicsville and Forest Park up by Waldorf.

and don't forget the 40MPH spot in Charlotte Hall. 3 nice speed traps.

:yikes:

indeed, I have seen them in the Upholstery Shop parking lot ONCE in 6 months ....

more on the side of 5 south of Galitin Green Rd. before Hughsville turn off
South of the Wawa on 235 in random locations all the way to Hollywood ...

I have gotten a warning for my [now fixed] cracked windshield and a $ 83 seat belt violation
.... for the most part it pays to run Waze

be careful Chuck County likes to put the photo enforcement box out next to the christian school on 5 across from Billingsly Rd.

I cross through waldork every day ... coming from National Harbor
... but I go

- 228 to Middleton to Billingsly to 5 ...

to avoid 5 south of Waldorf and Forest Park

to many lights ... I'll go the 3 miles out of my way to avoid 5 / 301 intersection

glhs837

Power with Control
don't set the speed limit artificially slow to generate revenue ....

Barring a very free cases of corrupt little towns that straddle highways, that never really happens. I know here police have no input on speed limits. That's supposed to be an engineering call. Lowering limits to make money is really am automated enforcement thing. Lots of documented cases of that here in MD

vince77

Driver-less cars will make this all a bad dream within 25 years, we'll all be going the speed limit, texting on our phones. For the holdouts that want to continue to drive, they'll be following a pack of cars doing the speed limit.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Driver-less cars will make this all a bad dream within 25 years, we'll all be going the speed limit, texting on our phones. For the holdouts that want to continue to drive, they'll be following a pack of cars doing the speed limit.
just require drivers to have a functioning brain.
I knew someone who rolled their car because they became distracted momentarily. Coincidence or not, she was a blonde.

I will not tell you what trivial thing caused the distraction but it's something that happens to everyone if you ride with your windows down.

dilligaf.

There is a just a high concentration of stupid drivers in the area. Just last week, I drove from BWI airport back home to Southern Calvert County. The drive home was fine all the way - until I got to Calvert County where people starting pulling out onto Route 4 without looking, driving slow in the left lane, and so on.

glhs837

Power with Control
Went to Fredericksburg Saturday. Holy crap. Three car rear ender at the intersection of 235/4, then coming down the Hollywood-Leonardtown Road between the supermarket and the Library, an oncoming truck just went off the road on his side far enough to take out a 4x4 mailbox post, saw it flying as he came to a stop in the ditch. Then saw at the bank down by Joe Stones office saw where someone coming out of there didn't yield ROW and got wacked by oncoming traffic. Called home, told boy to stay the hell off the roads. And then right after the four way on 234 that leads the the Seventh, some Good Ol Boy's F-Twofiddy was nose down in the ditch getting pulled out by some buddy of his with a Dodge.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I am convinced the drivers license test should be done in manual transmission cars
... and there should be a hand / eye coordination test like the Army Issued, before getting a drivers license

then your driving should be monitored with a dash cam for the next 5 yrs, until your 1st renewal period

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I am convinced the drivers license test should be done in manual transmission cars
... and there should be a hand / eye coordination test like the Army Issued, before getting a drivers license

then your driving should be monitored with a dash cam for the next 5 yrs, until your 1st renewal period

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. A dash cam just punishes the kids that actually know how to drive and do so carefully.

and #### the manual cars. I'm a great every day driver and I've attempted to learn manual on 3 different vehicles, by 3 different people and I can. not. do it. However I could drive any size vehicle from a smartcar to an F-350, and properly parallel park them all too. It's 2015, it's no longer necessary for everyone to know stick. I don't plan on driving your mom's Saturn anytime soon.

glhs837

Power with Control

Hell, no, add two baby simulators screaming and heaving cheerios in the back, a spouse simulator demanding your attention at the same time. In a stick, with GoogleBot distractor traffic screwing up around you. With a manual transmission. And it's a timed course..... Train like you fight, correct?

glhs837

Power with Control
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. A dash cam just punishes the kids that actually know how to drive and do so carefully.

and #### the manual cars. I'm a great every day driver and I've attempted to learn manual on 3 different vehicles, by 3 different people and I can. not. do it. However I could drive any size vehicle from a smartcar to an F-350, and properly parallel park them all too. It's 2015, it's no longer necessary for everyone to know stick. I don't plan on driving your mom's Saturn anytime soon.

Plans? That's what happens when the universe is being nice to you. Wife wont drive over half of the stable here, and that makes me sad. I say wont because she wont take the time to let me teach her. Had my way, I wouldn't issue a license without a demo that you have that skill, but that's me. I'm sorry you didn't find the right instructor/vehicle combination. I would never say being an auto only driver makes you a bad driver, just a less versatile one.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Hell, no, add two baby simulators screaming and heaving cheerios in the back, a spouse simulator demanding your attention at the same time. In a stick, with GoogleBot distractor traffic screwing up around you. With a manual transmission. And it's a timed course..... Train like you fight, correct?

I don't know if it's the same in MD but in CT we weren't allowed any passengers besides legal guardians for the first 3 months, then immediate family only for the next 3 months. PITA, but I'd much rather a slightly-nervous teen actually drive alone while they get more comfortable with driving than immediately subject them to extreme distracted driving.

I'd rather see a cell-phone-disabling app than put a dashcam in the car.

Can't agree with that. A newbie has enough to contend with without the added stress of clutching and shifting. They are, after all, beginners. They are not expected to know every single aspect of driving at road test time, just exhibit a working knowledge of the operation of the vehicle. That's why there are junior licenses. Time and room to grow and learn. You wouldn't expect a beginner to know how to merge into 5 lanes of the beltway at 70mph. They have to grow into it.

That said,, I DO think it's an excellent idea to teach them how to use a standard as part of the learning process.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Nope. Start people on dirt bikes. Get some training under their butts. Move on to scooters on the street. Then motorcycles. THEN cars.

I always thought myself a reasonably good driver but I got a LOT better after I started riding street. Motorcycles FORCE you to be aware of EVERYTHING.

Nope. Start people on dirt bikes. Get some training under their butts. Move on to scooters on the street. Then motorcycles. THEN cars.

I always thought myself a reasonably good driver but I got a LOT better after I started riding street. Motorcycles FORCE you to be aware of EVERYTHING.

While I agree with you, probably not an option for most people. There are just SO many people that cannot coordinate or ride a bike.

I was one of those who rode bikes from 12 y/o, had my bike license before my car license. And I can absolutely say that learning on the bike made me a much better car driver. Between 12 and 16 y/o you can't ride on the streets, so you learn to ride and shift and avoid and react in a 'safe', relatively slow speed, non-competitive environment. By the time you hit the road, the 'learning the hardware' part is long since behind you, and you can concentrate on the road and other drivers.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
While I agree with you, probably not an option for most people. There are just SO many people that cannot coordinate or ride a bike. .

So, they can't operate a bike and we just turn them loose with cars, then? :evil:

Just the training alone, the visual skills, of riding will VASTLY help car drivers.