Why doesn’t everyone believe in God?.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"Christopher Obal used to be a Christian. He grew up in Queens, New York, and when he was 5 years old, his parents left Catholicism for a very different form of Christianity. While they didn’t claim a specific denomination, he said the churches they went to would probably be described as Pentecostal, evangelical and charismatic.

“We attended churches where people spoke in tongues, and believed in the gifts of the spirit as well as a God who spoke to his people frequently,” he said.

As an adolescent Obal was obsessed with discovering God’s plan for his life and doing God’s will. At the age of 18, he attended Oral Roberts University, a conservative Christian college in Tulsa, Oklahoma. But while at college, he began to question his beliefs.

Now, while he’s open to the possibility of “god, gods, goddesses, aliens, universal consciousness, or whatever,” he’s not affiliated with any religion. The rest of his family remains devoutly religious.

Obal is one of only a small percentage of Americans who grew up in religious households and are now religion-free. A 2008 report by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life found that only 12.7 percent of people raised in a particular faith eventually become unaffiliated with any religious group.

Why did Obal abandon Christianity, while his friends and family remained faithful? As with many things regarding human nature, the answer is complicated. But a good place to start is the nature of belief itself.

It’s no surprise that most Americans believe in God, according to science writer and skeptic Michael Shermer. In his book “The Believing Brain,” he explains how belief was beneficial to human evolution. He said that “the tendency to find patterns in both meaningful and meaningless noise” — or, as he calls it, “patternicity” — developed as a way to keep humans alive.

He gives the example of an early human hearing a “rustle in the grass.” Is it a hungry predator or is it the wind? If the person assumes it’s a hungry predator but it’s actually the wind, he or she will come to no harm. But if the person believes it’s the wind when it’s actually a hungry predator, it could mean death. So, the tendency to be overly cautious and falsely believe leads to being able to pass on those cautious, believing genes. Or, as Shermer puts it, “we are the descendants of those who were most successful at finding patterns.”

Shermer adds that once humans see the patterns, they tend to infuse them with “meaning, intention, and agency.” He calls this “agenticity.” How does this lead to supernatural belief?

“God is the ultimate pattern that explains everything that happens,” he wrote, “the ultimate intentional agent.”

Shermer cites studies that show a heavy “genetic influence on intentional belief.” And he says that “people who grow up in religious families and later become religious do so because they have inherited a disposition to resonate positively with religious sentiments.”

In the popular book “The God Gene,” American geneticist Dean Hamer proposed something similar. He said that “we have a genetic predisposition for spiritual belief that is expressed in response to, and shaped by, personal experience and the cultural environment.”

Belief was a positive development for the evolution of our species, and we haven’t evolved beyond it. According to a May Gallup poll, 86 percent of Americans believe in God.

The question now becomes: Why doesn’t everyone believe in God? " .....

C

Chuckt

The question now becomes: Why doesn’t everyone believe in God? " .....

You are violating the copyright policy of the board. Web pages from websites are copyrighted whether it says so or not.

Why doesn't everyone believe in God? I think some people do but they suppress it. Some atheists are afraid to speak about why Christians believe and they actually get scared because they believe they might believe or it might be true..

The salon article holds some assumptions. He also doesn't answer why he doesn't believe but shifts it to other arguments outside of his own.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You are violating the copyright policy of the board. Web pages from websites are copyrighted whether it says so or not.

Why doesn't everyone believe in God? I think some people do but they suppress it. Some atheists are afraid to speak about why Christians believe and they actually get scared because they believe they might believe or it might be true..

The salon article holds some assumptions. He also doesn't answer why he doesn't believe but shifts it to other arguments outside of his own.

That'll learn 'im. The boy is nothing if not an astute pupil and receptive audience when it comes to thoughtfully considering, and responding to, rational arguments. He's legend in that regard. Legend.

C

Chuckt

That'll learn 'im. The boy is nothing if not an astute pupil and receptive audience when it comes to thoughtfully considering, and responding to, rational arguments. He's legend in that regard. Legend.

Actually, Gilligan, some atheists take their children to church.

Why atheist scientists bring their children to church

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/scienc...st-scientists-bring-their-children-to-church/

Some atheists have actually defended me in the religion forum on another message board.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
If there was a God, he would immediately SMITE that phucker down that just shot those dogs as one example. At very least he would whisper in the azzholes ear and say WTF are you thinking. Yup there is no God, why does he let bad things happen to good People? How was He was Ok with the father jumping off the bridge with his baby, Really, how does that help anyone survive in this world to become better with Christ?

This_person

If there was a God, he would immediately SMITE that phucker down that just shot those dogs as one example. At very least he would whisper in the azzholes ear and say WTF are you thinking. Yup there is no God, why does he let bad things happen to good People? How was He was Ok with the father jumping off the bridge with his baby, Really, how does that help anyone survive in this world to become better with Christ?

Do you believe everything should always be perfect? Do you do everything perfect? If not, you are part of the problem, you realize that, right?

There's no way to have good without having evil. You can't understand what it's like to be warm if there's not cool, you can't understand light without dark. People have free will, it's that simple. When people stop doing evil, there will be no more evil.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
perfect far from it. I Understand good and evil. I'm positive HE never did anything to sway me from doing good or bad, i DID it myself. reading some bible verse is not going to change the way i think. Amen.

This_person

perfect far from it. I Understand good and evil. I'm positive HE never did anything to sway me from doing good or bad, i DID it myself. reading some bible verse is not going to change the way i think. Amen.

Isn't it great that He gave you that free will to think that way?

How do you judge good and bad? From what standard do you establish what is good and what is bad?

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
seriously, one person good is another persons evil. My standard is do i make my wife happy by my thoughts and actions, period end.

This_person

seriously, one person good is another persons evil. My standard is do i make my wife happy by my thoughts and actions, period end.

If we're only looking at people's estimations of good and evil, I agree. By that standard, a lot of what you asked about wasn't "evil", in your definition, because the person doing it likely did not find it evil. You're saying God doesn't work by your standards, therefore you won't believe in God. I say the vice versa is also true. God helps those who help themselves. If you're an adult and don't help yourself to what God has to offer, you're not going to get His help the way someone who has been saved does. If you believe feeding stray dogs so they don't starve to death is evil, evil will be all around you. If you find a standard by which to go, and you understand PEOPLE are responsible for what people do, not God, you will be a lot happier.

You're saying God doesn't work by your standards, therefore you won't believe in God. I say the vice versa is also true.

Some of God's standards include selling your daughter into sexual slavery, owning slaves and beating them (but if they die on the 3rd day after the beating you are absolved of any wrong doing), stoning people to death, genocide...your God makes even the most violent psychopathic rapist and killer blush.

If you're an adult and don't help yourself to what God has to offer, you're not going to get His help the way someone who has been saved does. .

And thank goodness for that. Who would wish to enlist the help of a this most immoral and violent of any God? Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah! You do realize this is one in the same God don't you? The Abrahamic God, and the "father" of the 3 most violent religions on the face of the earth since the Bronze Age. This is the 'God' of your moral code. You could do much better.

This_person

Some of God's standards include selling your daughter into sexual slavery, owning slaves and beating them (but if they die on the 3rd day after the beating you are absolved of any wrong doing), stoning people to death, genocide...your God makes even the most violent psychopathic rapist and killer blush.

And thank goodness for that. Who would wish to enlist the help of a this most immoral and violent of any God? Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah! You do realize this is one in the same God don't you? The Abrahamic God, and the "father" of the 3 most violent religions on the face of the earth since the Bronze Age. This is the 'God' of your moral code. You could do much better.

You, as many people do, are conflating God with the people who follow Him.

You, as many people do, are conflating God with the people who follow Him.

Nope. Sorry bub, but your God is a violent and revengeful God on his own. Conflating him with the people that follow him is unnecessary. Paradoxically, he exhibits all the worst character flaws of humans. There's a very obvious answer for this...he is a God fabricated in the minds of humans.

You would be hard-pressed to find a more immoral book than the bible. Or a God as violent as the God of Abraham.

This_person

Nope. Sorry bub, but your God is a violent and revengeful God on his own. Conflating him with the people that follow him is unnecessary. Paradoxically, he exhibits all the worst character flaws of humans. There's a very obvious answer for this...he is a God fabricated in the minds of humans.

You would be hard-pressed to find a more immoral book than the bible. Or a God as violent as the God of Abraham.

None are as blind as those who will not see.

None are as blind as those who will not see.

You've got that right, so open your Bible and see what it says. Assuming you have the ability to apply critical thinking, unfettered by your biases, you will realize that these bronze age writings of a violent God and a not so benevolent Jesus (who brought hell into the equation), have no application in a civilized world. And no application for anyone wishing to live his/her life in harmony with other human beings.

C

Chuckt

I believe God was bringing certain protections for people and not actually advocating what the people were doing but because God brought protections for people, people wrongly think that God was advocating it.

Slavery in the Old Testament is wrongly confused with the slavery of the 18th century; they are different things and people are so Biblically illiterate that they can be confused with anything.

As far as condemning God for a moral code, God judged people differently through time by their own standards to show people that you don't have an excuse because it isn't the code you are living by because you are really bankrupt as a society.

C

Chuckt

You've got that right, so open your Bible and see what it says. Assuming you have the ability to apply critical thinking, unfettered by your biases, you will realize that these bronze age writings of a violent God and a not so benevolent Jesus (who brought hell into the equation), have no application in a civilized world. And no application for anyone wishing to live his/her life in harmony with other human beings.

I wish companies would treat their computers the same way. We have several computers at work that went down because of viruses and instead of fixing them, the inhumane I.T. guys decide they aren't worth fixing because their time as contractors is more expensive than buying new ones so a lot of times the computers just sit or they get recycled which is a trash heap itself.

The rest of your statement has a ring of convolution to it because I see a very patient God that I wish did more judging and I was always waiting for Him to let people have it in certain areas and even today God is very patient.

God is kind to the evil and sends rain on the just and unjust.

This_person

I'm sorry you see it so inaccurately.