Why doesn’t everyone believe in God?.....

Amused_despair

Just remember that when God destroyed the world with The Flood, or when he destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, he not only killed adults who were evil, but innocent children and even unborn babies who had not even had a chance to prove if they were good or bad.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Nope. Sorry bub, but your God is a violent and revengeful God on his own. Conflating him with the people that follow him is unnecessary. Paradoxically, he exhibits all the worst character flaws of humans. There's a very obvious answer for this...he is a God fabricated in the minds of humans.

You would be hard-pressed to find a more immoral book than the bible. Or a God as violent as the God of Abraham.

You forget one thing (and let's be clear that it’s meaningless to point this out to someone that doesn’t believe)… This is HIS creation. According to the bible, the first act of violence was committed by man. Over and over again God gave man opportunities to adhere to some pretty simple rules God set up. But, man doesn’t like rules. The immorality is man’s rejection of God, in spite of all the fact that it is God that gave man life to begin with.

In order for any of this to matter though, you have to believe there is this God. You don’t. You’ve chosen to apply a humanistic understand of what this God is; that you know more about what God’s intentions are than God himself. This is the historical narrative of man’s rejection of God. You typify this. It’s predictable and no surprise.

This_person

Just remember that when God destroyed the world with The Flood, or when he destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, he not only killed adults who were evil, but innocent children and even unborn babies who had not even had a chance to prove if they were good or bad.

Do you understand what bar and bat mitzvahs are?

It's just fiction. It never actually happened.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Floods happen every day on the Earth. They do not occur by the hand of an angry god. It's fiction.

Evidence Noah's Biblical Flood Happened, Says Robert Ballard

The story of Noah's Ark and the Great Flood is one of the most famous from the Bible, and now an acclaimed underwater archaeologist thinks he has found proof that the biblical flood was actually based on real events.

In an interview with Christiane Amanpour for ABC News, Robert Ballard, one of the world's best-known underwater archaeologists, talked about his findings. His team is probing the depths of the Black Sea off the coast of Turkey in search of traces of an ancient civilization hidden underwater since the time of Noah.

The water from the melting glaciers began to rush toward the world's oceans, Ballard said, causing floods all around the world.

"The questions is, was there a mother of all floods," Ballard said.

According to a controversial theory proposed by two Columbia University scientists, there really was one in the Black Sea region. They believe that the now-salty Black Sea was once an isolated freshwater lake surrounded by farmland, until it was flooded by an enormous wall of water from the rising Mediterranean Sea. The force of the water was two hundred times that of Niagara Falls, sweeping away everything in its path.

Fascinated by the idea, Ballard and his team decided to investigate.

"We went in there to look for the flood," he said. "Not just a slow moving, advancing rise of sea level, but a really big flood that then stayed... The land that went under stayed under."

Four hundred feet below the surface, they unearthed an ancient shoreline, proof to Ballard that a catastrophic event did happen in the Black Sea. By carbon dating shells found along the shoreline, Ballard said he believes they have established a timeline for that catastrophic event, which he estimates happened around 5,000 BC. Some experts believe this was around the time when Noah's flood could have occurred.

I don't doubt that there was a flood, or that there was an ice age, or any of the geological and other scientific history of the planet and universe (much older than 6,000 years). I do not believe any of this was created by any kind of a god (angry or otherwise). I do not believe the bible as a factual account of anything, any more so than any modern work of fiction. I believe it is a collection of inspirational stories from a time when story-telling was a major form of communication and entertainment.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I don't doubt that there was a flood, or that there was an ice age, or any of the geological and other scientific history of the planet and universe (much older than 6,000 years). I do not believe any of this was created by any kind of a god (angry or otherwise). I do not believe the bible as a factual account of anything, any more so than any modern work of fiction. I believe it is a collection of inspirational stories from a time when story-telling was a major form of communication and entertainment.

Is it remotely possible that God decided to tell the story of Noah as a means to put what happened in the simplest of terms? At the time Genesis was written, the target audience was uneducated and very simple-minded people. Perhaps God wanted to phrase things in a way the target audience could easily understand. If He had gone into all sorts of scientific stuff like greenhouse gases and global warming, increase sun activity, it would have likely gone over peoples’ heads. The creation… given the knowledge level of the people of those times, God certainly couldn’t have gone into detail about the scientific and biological processes, at the molecular level to explain the details of how He created things.

But, you failed to discount that there is a story in the bible a flood, and there seems to be evidence that there was such a flood. The bible does not appear to be wrong or fiction.

Is it remotely possible that God decided to tell the story of Noah as a means to put what happened in the simplest of terms? At the time Genesis was written, the target audience was uneducated and very simple-minded people. Perhaps God wanted to phrase things in a way the target audience could easily understand. If He had gone into all sorts of scientific stuff like greenhouse gases and global warming, increase sun activity, it would have likely gone over peoples’ heads. The creation… given the knowledge level of the people of those times, God certainly couldn’t have gone into detail about the scientific and biological processes, at the molecular level to explain the details of how He created things.

But, you failed to discount that there is a story in the bible a flood, and there seems to be evidence that there was such a flood. The bible does not appear to be wrong or fiction.

I believe "God" was invented as an explanation for the unexplainable at a time when humans lacked the level of evolution to scientifically explain the previously unexplainable. I think it's unfortunate that people STILL invoke God (or Satan) to explain the unexplainable facts of life, death, illness, famine, and all the evil things humans do to other humans.

Good and bad people die and escape death every day for no apparent reason, and I just don't buy the "all part of God's plan" explanation.

H

Hodr

Do you believe everything should always be perfect? Do you do everything perfect? If not, you are part of the problem, you realize that, right?

There's no way to have good without having evil. You can't understand what it's like to be warm if there's not cool, you can't understand light without dark. People have free will, it's that simple. When people stop doing evil, there will be no more evil.

So what I'm hearing is that there's a chance that Heaven will have strippers and blackjack.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The sect of Druids I'm a member of..we believe in re-incarnation. In fact, In my will, I've left everything to myself.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I believe "God" was invented as an explanation for the unexplainable at a time when humans lacked the level of evolution to scientifically explain the previously unexplainable. I think it's unfortunate that people STILL invoke God (or Satan) to explain the unexplainable facts of life, death, illness, famine, and all the evil things humans do to other humans.

Good and bad people die and escape death every day for no apparent reason, and I just don't buy the "all part of God's plan" explanation.

Well, I’m certainly not trying to convince someone like you of the existence of God. You’ve made up your mind. But, from an historical standpoint, the flood story appears to be true. There is also evidence of an ark.

I don’t know why you would find it unfortunate that people still believe in God. Because you don’t understand it doesn’t make it unfortunate. I happen to find my faith pretty enlightening. Things work far too well on this earth for it not to be due to an intelligent design.

C

Chuckt

Floods happen every day on the Earth. They do not occur by the hand of an angry god. It's fiction.

Floods don't happen every day. Citation? I think because of construction and heavy rains, we have flooding but nothing like this:

Oceans of Water Locked 400 Miles Inside Earth

The Earth's mantle is the hot, rocky layer between the planet's core and crust. Scientists have long suspected that the mantle's so-called transition zone, which sits between the upper and lower mantle layers 255 to 410 miles (410 to 660 kilometers) below Earth's surface, could contain water trapped in rare minerals. However, direct evidence for this water has been lacking, until now.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/oceans/oceans-of-water-found-locked-deep-inside-earth-140612.htm

Genesis 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

Genesis 7:12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

Nothing like that happens.

Floods don't happen every day. Citation? I think because of construction and heavy rains, we have flooding but nothing like this:

Oceans of Water Locked 400 Miles Inside Earth

http://news.discovery.com/earth/oceans/oceans-of-water-found-locked-deep-inside-earth-140612.htm

Genesis 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

Genesis 7:12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

Nothing like that happens.

600 years old, huh? And how old is the universe? 6,000 years??

Believe whatever you want to believe. I believe the bible is a fiction.

C

Chuckt

Pics or yr lying'..

You can drill for oil so why can't you get water? What percentage of the earth is water anyways? Is it something like 3/5ths?

96.5 percent
About 71 percent of the Earth's surface is water-covered, and the oceans hold about 96.5 percent of all Earth's water. But water also exists in the air as water vapor, in rivers and lakes, in icecaps and glaciers, in the ground as soil moisture and in aquifers, and even in you and your dog.Mar 19, 2014
How much water is there on, in, and above the Earth?
water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.htmlUnited States Geological Survey

http://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html

According to the table in the above link, there are 23,400,000 cubic kilometers of just groundwater.

I proved something. Now it is your turn to prove it isn't.

I believe God was bringing certain protections for people and not actually advocating what the people were doing but because God brought protections for people, people wrongly think that God was advocating it.

Chuckt, you can't be brazen enough to refute the god-directed killings and genocide in the OT?

Slavery in the Old Testament is wrongly confused with the slavery of the 18th century; they are different things and people are so Biblically illiterate that they can be confused with anything.

Slavery was accepted and tacitly condoned in the New Testament; Jesus does not speak out against it. What is your apologetic response to Jesus's ignorance of the inhumaneness of slavery?

As far as condemning God for a moral code, God judged people differently through time by their own standards to show people that you don't have an excuse because it isn't the code you are living by because you are really bankrupt as a society.

I'm not condemning your 'god', it would be silly to condemn something that doesn't exist. I simply point out that the bible fails, as does its imaginary god, as a moral blueprint for humanity. The morality of the bible can be surpassed in a single sentence..."Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being."